Has Anyone Ever Won While Playing For The Clans?

43 replies to this topic

#21 J I N

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

I was really surprised, when I took a look at the star-card after some weeks without playing... in fact the clans seem to be crushed O_o
I tried to play 3 rounds now and I met at least organized lances in the IS team, while my teammates didn't listen to any advice and rushed in alone... maybe clans (-pilots) are not as great as we thought? O_o ;P

Over all I didn't win many CW matches, but it was fun and there seemed to be a real chance. Right now something changed and I don't see any chance to win in PUGs... so CW is dead to me :-/

#22 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

We won nearly all of our matches over our week in clans.

Problems -

Pugs refuse to coordinate. Some teams also refuse to as well, we've seen many chat complaints from 12 mans on the other side with this issue as well.
This is the biggest problem.

When OLD runs into a pug team we will offer them tactical advice, let them know where we are going ahead of time, offer to run 6/6 gate splits if it's a particularly bad evening. We try to help them put up a better fight, they rarely listen. It doesn't even take much teamwork to put up a decent fight, just willingness to help each other out.
-
Other big problem we've been seeing is clanners running absolutely horrid rigs. LRMs and ERLL..... Throwing damage into hills and overheating, it's just sad to watch sometimes. Your clan mechs can move and brawl on par - if not better - than IS mechs, win your first battle in the mechlab.
-
The last thing I see a lot of, and its on either side - people drop and decided they are defeated before the match even starts, leaving 4 guys to try to carry them. At least in the last dozen or so matches those 4 guys have been really good sports and tried to have some fun despite the terrible attitude of their teammates.

Edited by sycocys, 26 January 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#23 Azzgaroth

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:40 AM

90% win ratio clan or IS side. AND im leveling mech. I usualy do more damage clan side cause IS isnt op at all.

Edited by Azzgaroth, 26 January 2016 - 10:41 AM.

#24 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:32 PM

Three lessons for you:

1. Never drop with 11 other pugs. If there isn't a queue with a unit in it, don't drop. Wait, quickplay, do something else.

2. Drop in attack queue. Don't drop in defense queue. If there is only defense queue, play something else.

3. Don't be a *****. Really, don't. Clans win by mobility and high alpha and a lot of firepower at 400m that the IS can't hope to match outside of 270 and only with an assault, not really in a heavy. If you hang back and trade you will lose. If you play static and passive you will lose. Badly and consistently. Play aggressive, play pretty close and stay on the move. Even if you're on defense you need to be circling which side of them you're on. Most the toughest IS mechs handle like an ocean liner. Especially if they're trying to stick together repositioning will make it harder for them to set a line against you.

#25 Sean Kerenskov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 334 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:54 PM

This!

#26 Stealth 1S1K

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:21 PM

All Valid points listed
Most PUG drops the players still treat it like a quickplay go snipe or hide ignore everyone else and play for themselves.
I have won many PUGs especially when someone steps up and has an idea of what to do
and when those dropping actually listen.

IF someone is calling the game LISTEN, FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, LEARN.
IF no one is calling it try calling yourself Posted Image

#27 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:44 PM

Oh. And Get In The Surat-Loving Attack Queue.

I don't know how else to put it. You lose because you only drop defense. You are volunteering to lose. Piling into the defense queue is like just stripping weapons from your mech before dropping because you're just throwing the chance to win away. Really you should just go join the IS and drop against the Clans because by filling the defense queue you're helping the IS take Clan worlds.

Drop attack and you force them to either just trade worlds with you or stop attacking to go defend. Either way you break even. You also run good odds of pulling a mixed team like yourself.

There is no reason, ever, for any sane person who doesn't hate their faction to pug in the defense queue.

#28 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:47 PM

The Black Knight can trade surprisingly well against mid ranged clan laservomit builds. Even at the clans optimal range. It is a pretty solid laservomit option for IS, as long as you can work with the lowish hardpoints.

#29 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:06 AM

View PostKinLuu, on 26 January 2016 - 11:47 PM, said:

The Black Knight can trade surprisingly well against mid ranged clan laservomit builds. Even at the clans optimal range. It is a pretty solid laservomit option for IS, as long as you can work with the lowish hardpoints.

It's not as fast or maneuverable though and most of them run an XL. Just for the love of god sweet baby jesus everyone in a Clan mech... quit trying to just swing trades with IS laserboats.

Most BK builds are like being strapped to a ball of nuclear fire. Hot and probably an XL. Don't let him poke and fade.

#30 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:17 AM

Yeah, for organized teams, zerging with pure brawling builds seems to be the winning move for clans right now. Abuse that high mobility and high damage.

But that will never work with PUGs.

#31 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:39 AM

In CW I win about as often playing as the Clans as I do as the IS, however I rarely play CW unless it is with my unit as part of a group of 6+ players, the Praetorian Legion 1st Battalion (UK and Europe) drop-night is on a Friday night, we usualy get about a company worth of players show up and play 1-2 CW matches before ceasefire then go group queue during ceasefire followed by a few matches after, that is when I usualy play CW.

#32 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:31 AM

Seriously Clans. This is why you lose.

Posted Image
Do you see that thing where it's 12 pugs and everyone is only lining up for defense and the planet is at 100% taken?

That is because you're in the defense queue. You are leaving nothing to chance, giving yourself no options to win.

If those people were in their respective attack queues the attackers would have to split up and you'd be drawing teams of largely pugs from the IS side, evening the odds. You'd also likely trade worlds some of the time at least instead of absolutely losing every match all the time.

Stop it.

#33 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostFrosty7, on 24 January 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

Serious question here: Has anybody ever actually won a community war match while playing for the clans? Maybe a better way to phrase this question would be does anyone have a more or less even ratio of victory and defeat?

I have never won a single battle and I've only ever played for Wolf. I am going to put my reputation as a sane and mentally stable person on the line here and say that clan mechs might just be really bad and underpowered: Every game I've played, clan mechs get stomped into the dirt with horribly disproportionate kill/death ratios. Specifically, we can't kill the first wave of IS mechs until we are on our second wave and that's only because we have fresh mechs and they don't. The fact that there are maybe 7 clan held planets in total is pretty hard evidence that I am correct, which is sad because I was hoping faction play would feel as brutal and desperate for both factions as it did in the official lore. This is just boring, and I imagine it's even more boring for the IS since they have no opposition to speak of whatsoever.

Thoughts?

You want more wins OP? Join the ATTACK queues not the Defense queues.

#34 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:30 AM

Don't know if I mentioned these - LFG + Faction chat + TS hubs.

Seriously doesn't matter if you want to talk on the mic or even have it on (though it's helpful to have it on), give yourself the ability to work with players for more than one match. Be able to set up decks and a basic plan BEFORE the match.

The occasions I play CW and am not with my unit here's how it goes down - "x" person invites me to CW, either from LFG or my ever expanding friends list, - I join the drop.
"Hello folks, TS room?"--
"syco you get a mic yet?" --
"still too lazy to pick it up, will relay through text.", "running Maul, Maul, Yen-lo, Urbie" (whatever my deck is at that time).

and that's how it goes. I listen on TS - call uavs via text and let people know when I can't reach them - call things I see in text - call for pushes if no one else is taking the lead because many times these groups end up being glorified pug drops

It's really not that hard to make basic communication efforts, or even play as a semi functional team. Just shoot whatever the guy ahead of you is shooting at, when he needs to cool take over his spot.

#35 oranjinke

Rookie

• Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

I'm playing CW solo atm, and i can see 2 main problems:
1) players with full deck of trial mechs
2) new players who cannot play CW: zero coordination, zero positioning, poor aiming etc etc
As a result: 3-4 of my PUG teammates with 200-500 overall damage (which is ridiculous), a couple of them sticking around 600-1000 and maybe 2 of us with 1000+. How can u stop a bunch of rushing quirk-structured-IS-meta-mechs with this? Nohow.
Srsly i think PGI should close CW for those who do not have at least two basic-levelled mech's instead of upcoming queue-splitting .

#36 Solink

• Pip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

For awhile Clans were decemating IS. Then some comp merc corps went to FRR and clans have been having a rough time of it. Also with the new drop deck tonnage increases IS was able to field more heavier mechs than Clan. Though I have lost as an IS team to clans though my win to loss ratio appear to be roughly equal with some times just eating dirt horribly and others steamrolling.

#37 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

If you're under 1k damage that's like 4 pug matches back to back averaging under 250.

What astounds me is people who play worse in CW than they do in pug queue.

What you should have is 6 people over 1k, maybe 2 who had a bad game at 800-1100, 2 people at 1500-2500 and a couple people around 3k.

That's not even exceptional, that's just everyone showing up and not getting lost, shooting each other or choking on their own tongue.

The problem seems to be fear, as far as I can tell. People drop into the match skittish, scared and defeated. They're not even trying, so they fail. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Really, the best overall solution is for people to stop being such absolute cowardly little *******.

I genuinely don't think that 60% or more of people playing CW rarely do 250 damage in pug queue and are patently incapable of just sticking with their team and exhibiting the most basic levels of teamwork like waiting to go in waves or pushing without stopping for squirrels.

It's fear and passive-aggressive self-destruction over perceived imbalances. It's embarrassing to watch and pitiful to hear on coms.

Balance is so fine you won't notice a difference outside comp matches. Gear for hard pushes and mobility. Don't be a mewling *****, expect to get shot some times and for **** sake pretend it's a 12 v 12 team game and not single player with 4 reloads.

#38 Sean Kerenskov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 334 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

I'm inclined to agree with Mischief from a personal perspective.

When I dropped into CW while really new and unable to pull more than 250 a match in the PUG queue I was getting rolled CONSISTENTLY while doing hardly any damage at all.

Since I was obviously failing to contribute I stopped CW altogether until I had built up some reasonable proficiency both doing damage in the PUG queue and working with a group on comms.

Once those two proficiencies were developed (and I'm talking basically developed here) it had an incredible effect on my viability during CW matches. Started to win some and started doing enough damage where I felt that I was contributing win or lose.

#39 Riot Frost

• PipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIn the Void, or in the cockpit, of the Raven 3L

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

Its less about the mechs and more about the team, i dont play for a unit, im going to be honest, being a pug is usally not fun, especially when you are up against a 6-12 man unit. But i will say, lots of players out there playing as clans actually are some of the best people i know, its a matter of knowing the limits of your mech, and how knowledgeable the team knows how the map works and how to be coordinated.

Edited by Riot Frost, 27 January 2016 - 08:03 PM.

#40 Fiona Marshe Pureborn

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

I can consistently rack up 500-600 damage on the first mech. It goes rapidly downhill from there as I get 4:1 or greater odds when re-engaging as the rest of the PUG team disintegrates (often at least 1 perma-dead by the time I run out of missiles or get killed).

There's nothing wrong with my builds, I just keep running out of team-mates in each wave.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users