New Player / Stock Mode

2 replies to this topic

Poll: Stock/Newplayer Gamemode (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Is the new gamemode proposed below viable?

1. Yes, sounds good. (5 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Maybe, changes suggested. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. No, don't do it. (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Don't know. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

Okay, other players have made suggestions for:
1) Making the new player experience better.
2) Re-Using the old maps.
3) Ability to launch in groups of 2 without risking an opposing 12-mech team.
4) Creating a "stock mech" mode.
http://mwomercs.com/...only-modequeue/
http://mwomercs.com/...ggestion-stock/

Usually the answer from PGI is there is not enough support, or lack of interest, or too few players. However, time has passed since others made their suggestions so I made my own variation.

New Player/Stock Mode characteristics:
- solo player, or groups of 2.
- 8 mechs per team.
- Matchmaker does not consider PSR and matches do not count toward PSR system.
- Assault Mode only.
- Small, simple maps.
- Loadout restricted by player status:
a) New Player - any current trial mech or owned mech.
b) Veteran/Knight Errant - choosen mech will revert to stock* loadout.

This would be a third option for play, just like Quick Play and Faction Play. Emphasis is to give new players a simplified gamemode, while still retaining advantages of having veteran players around for the new player to observe or ask questions, or even form a group of 2. Veteran players would gain an alternative from the normal meta and get a chance to get back to their favorite mech's "roots".

The gamemode could be launched as a Solo Player, just like Quick Play. Additionally, by creating a "stock group" (as opposed to a "public group" or "faction group") a player could invite and launch with a single other person.

Assault Mode will help the players focus more on teamwork either on defense or attacking.8 mechs and smaller maps should make the learning curve less harsh.

New players would be able to field any mech they have owned and modified, or any Trial mech. Veteran players (who have completed 25 matches and earned the Knight Errant title) would could have any mech selected, but will received the "stock" version once in game. All modules, custom armor, engines, weapons, etc. will not appear in the match. No Clan Mechs, Champion Mechs or Hero Mechs allowed.

So...
Is this gamemode a good idea or a bad one?
Would veterans play this gamemode?
Would this help new players coming to MWO?
Can this be implemented without adversely affecting the solo/group Quick Play mode?

Edited by SilentScreamer, 26 January 2016 - 08:35 PM.

#2 Khemical

Rookie

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:13 PM

I would be all for a PGI implemented Stock Mech matchmaking system. It would be a nice change of pace from all the meta builds.

#3 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

I would get behind the new player mode, because this learning curve is steep, and if you have a bunch of newbies trying to figure it out, then they will be better able to learn and stick to the game. This could be a supplement to the academy and it can have more general tips on the loading screen, like reminders to stick with a team, press r to target and a small blurb about why... stuff that experienced players and devs take as common knowledge that new players havent quite been able to grasp yet because their new. I remember a mech tactics comic that was suggested to replace the current tips on the loading screen. Thats not ment as much as a dis to the loading screen tips, just that comic was so good and informative.

Part of me is imagining the trainers voice yelling out different tips at random intervals while 24 COD players are trying to figure out why an atlas only walks and cant sprint, hehehe 8D

But joking aside, seriously, that mode would be a great idea. I have friends who never got to the point were they could play because the controls were so different from what they were used too, and if i could grab one of them and teach them in a more laid back mode that isnt prvt lobby, it would go a long way towards retaining new players. I only got 1 irl friend who is still playing and trying to learn so hed really apreciate it, and it would make teaching easier too if i didnt have to keep checking my shoulder for a laser vomit alpha strike.

Edited by naterist, 28 September 2016 - 11:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users