Banhammer Wave 2: It's Coming........

818 replies to this topic

#21 Hal Greaves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:23 PM

so apparently half a unit is gonna be banned and will be mediocre without cheats

wonder who it is |3

#22 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 January 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

Someone tweet this to that man.

EDIT: Nvm I did lol.

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 29 January 2016 - 10:26 PM.

#23 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted Image

#24 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

Posted Image

Some of you need to stop doing those pics. I just threw up a little. Well, okay... a lot.

#25 McValium

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:55 PM

Small little bit on Twitch after the townhall :
7:24 Russ_Bullock : ban wave will likely be full public heads on pike

Edited by McValium, 29 January 2016 - 10:56 PM.

#26 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:58 PM

ok ok guys enough of the witchhunt

wtf am I saying, LET THE HEADS ROLL YEEHAW

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SH*T

#27 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

#28 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:34 PM

I have no sympathy for cheaters.
I have suspicions of those claiming 'witch hunt' or thinking that this isn't really happening as being either enablers, willingly blind or perpetrators themselves.

We shall learn soon enough.

#29 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

It's nice to know they are taking this seriously instead of just ignoring the problem like so many developers seem to do. I just wish they would act on the information sooner rather than later.

#30 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

Well if a player outsmarts you, or brings a bigger stick than you do, or uses "communication" to lead their team to victory, is that cheating?

Hope that these guys know the difference.

#31 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:48 PM

I think that the upcoming tournament where lots of sponsorship money is involved has also pushed PGI to conduct another banning process. Sponsors certainly would not be happy if it arises after the tournament that cheating was occurring throughout the time.

Whether PGI has the ability to maintain an ability to keep up with the cheat programmers is another issue but a purge beforehand cannot be seen as a negative process in my opinion.

And yes, if it is revealed that certain units have a number of cheaters I will hold only a small amount of sympathy for the rest of the members associated with such Unit. They may be innocent in the whole process but such units have to suffer the consequences - just like 66AH last time.

Cheers
Eboli.

#32 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:56 PM

I do NOT consider myself an "enabler". I've played games like CoD, Combat Arms, etc. and have seen games rife with cheaters. This game doesn't even come close. I just get tired of "cheater" being the FIRST label thrown by those that were defeated.

I know there are SOME cheats in this game, but it doesn't come close to the level I've seen in other "A" games and top F2P games. We are too niche.

Do some people cheat? Yeah. Do I suspect some players from top units? Yeah. Do I think its an issue that months of Dev time should be spent on? NO NO NO NONONONONONONONO!!! I want a better game and devoting time to punish 1% of the tryhard playerbase will not help that.

A reworked lrm system would help. A reworked info system would help. A CW where factions mean something would help. A weapons balance system where all weapons have a place would help. A game that people WANT to devote time to despite ancient lore would help. Catching the VERY SMALL minority of LEETS that cheat devotes a lot of time to a little problem.

I s'pose it makes sense since PGI is going all epeen on us, but seriously... Don't you guys have the metrics on who PAYS for the game? If you tell me its the tiny % of esports freaks that would indulge in hacks for their wins then I think I might take a break.

You know, a break that lasts until the turn based BT game comes out...

#33 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:31 AM

View PostZenFool, on 29 January 2016 - 11:56 PM, said:

Catching the VERY SMALL minority of LEETS that cheat devotes a lot of time to a little problem.

You have no idea how much time and energy they have to invest into harvesting cheaters really. Secondly, while you may consider it "little" because perhaps it's not rampant here as it is in some games, that doesn't make it any less of a significant problem.

This game as you note, is already niche enough. They cannot afford to lose players due to a perception that they don't care or turn a blind eye towards cheating because it's "too much time to spend." It's got nothing to do with epeens and everything to do with player retention.

#34 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:50 AM

Posted Image

#35 BD RAIDR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:51 AM

From what Russ was saying on the livestream, it doesn't seem like a huge timesink to deal with cheats, and dealing with cheats can only be a good thing.

I have to admit, I'm curious to see who's on the list. There have been more than a few times when I was wiped out much quicker than I should have been, or some impossible shot was made on me, including headshots at long ranges in very small windows of opportunity.

I say good on PGI for doing this.

#36 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:47 AM

"hey, that guy kiled me once when I was in the open! A Cheater! I was right, I was SO right, I knew it all along! Hah! This is my proof I'm the uberleet and no one can stop me without cheats. I. Knew. It."

Edited by 627, 30 January 2016 - 01:48 AM.

#37 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:50 AM

Yeah what happened to that thread yesterday when that guy was naming and shaming some unit for using cheats?

If you missed the Town Hall Russ said some of these people have thousands of dollars tied up in accounts so I hope they get the message before they lower the boom

Russ also mentioned the cheat program and that they are able to detect it
In fact he said that the cheat program makers have a date where MWO detected there hacks

But the most important part of all is when Russ said that they can spectate real time these cheaters
And they (the players that are cheating) would be mediocre players without the hacks

It’s not the hacks its PGI ability to spectate real time (and what that implies) MWO players

#38 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:57 AM

So what happens when they ban a few players and some of you are still bad at the game?

#39 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:01 AM

Hopefully nothing, i like my Tier 4. :D

#40 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:04 AM

I think they should also shame the unit these cheats are in and if more than five in one ban wave, are from the same unit they should forcibly remove the unit from the game.

In other words police your damn unit better, or find yourself reforming another under a different name and get it damn right next time

Edited by Cathy, 30 January 2016 - 04:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users