73 replies to this topic

#1 Iron Pete Chiwalski

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

So I decided to take the "What mech challenge" https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/213089-battletech-what-mech-challenge/

It sounded like a lot of fun. I got the Atlas as my mech. I thought cool, Ive never owned an Atlas it should be interesting leveling them up from scratch on a new account. It has indeed been fun playing a slow brawler in the lower tiers, with none of the nice things from my main account.

Unfortunately Im starting to feel bad playing out of my normal tier.....this old political cartoon sums up my experiences nicely

Posted Image

I got the basics on one atlas, and started to level my second one, but have not played in a few days because of all the seal clubbing. sorry to anyone thats still learning the game if I ruined one of your matches. the tier system definitely works to some degree at the moment (although it seems like it would get less accurate over time) I would be getting my butt handed to me in my normal tier in this atlas. My current stats are ridiculous for me. Posted Image

Will try to get to tier 3 as soon as possible. I will say though, you tier 4 folks know how to party! (any load-out is welcome here)

Response Edit:

Thanks for all the comments and positive feedback on the art its self, or otherwise. I almost didn't bother to finish the sketch, because I wasn't sure if anybody else would find it all that funny. Posted Image My girlfriend saw it, and I had to explain every reference,(not surprising as she doesn't mechwarrior) but I'm glad I posted it Posted Image

Edited by Iron Pete Chiwalski, 01 February 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:07 PM

...what is the source of that majestic piece of art?

#3 Iron Pete Chiwalski

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 31 January 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

...what is the source of that majestic piece of art?

I drew it myself yesterday, with olde time pencil and paper. Posted Image

#4 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

You should make his saying your tag line when you start a match :P

#5 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

lmfao that is effing awesome

#6 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:32 PM

Prodigious indeed! Give this man a medal.

Edited by MerryIguana, 31 January 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#7 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

Those seals with little lasers strapped to their head....

#8 Yardsail

• PipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEdmonton.... i think

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:42 PM

Classic! I especially like the drooling seal with the LRM's!! This should be posted on steam in the artwork section.

Edited by n o x i D, 31 January 2016 - 01:44 PM.

#9 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

Lol love the comic... but even if T5's are noobs, so are your teammates and in an Atlas, you can only wiggle so much.

#10 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

And there's an AFK seal, a seal chasing a butterfly, a seal sc**wing his teammate over, a seal with apparently no depth perception...

You, Iron Pete, win 6 internets!

#11 Iron Pete Chiwalski

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 31 January 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

Lol love the comic... but even if T5's are noobs, so are your teammates and in an Atlas, you can only wiggle so much.

I only played one match in tier 5, but yeah you still need your teammates, I have won every single match where my team didn't literally spread to the four corners of the map (what does a 48 kph Atlas do on alpine when all his team mates are a kilometer from each other ?) Posted Image Thats only happened about 8 times out of 30 matches thankfully.

here is my current stats (good for me at least)

Posted Image

was still learning on the Atlas -S, I stopped before I got basics on the D-DC.

turns out you just need a lot of games with six solo kills, and you win more often than not. That said, I do try to help the team win, not just eat up all the kills. I passed up an easy "Ace of spades" to get into a brawl with two other fresh Atlases. I was wrecked, but did 1300 damage and we won. Posted Image I love my support seals.

Edited by Iron Pete Chiwalski, 31 January 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

op: you win one internet for that picture.

the internet people are angry for me giving away all their internets, can i borrow your atlas for a few minutes?

Edited by LordNothing, 31 January 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#13 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

I think a lot more of this goes on than is commonly realized.

I'm a perennial Underhiver because it took me a long time to figure out how to play this thing and you can't outweigh a whole lot of bad stats. I'm within a very short distance of moving into tier 4 now. I've got 2500 matches but I had about 600 or 700 with a KDR at about .17 before I started to get it, which had me with a nearly empty bar at T5 and thus it's been a long slog back up. My natural tier probably is mid-4 or so and I've managed to average damage scores in the 250 range when dropping group queue with high tier 2 and mid tier 1 unit mates, driving a 55 ton SRM brawler. That sucks for high tier play, I know. But given that I'm not anywhere like their level, it means something.

Running as a high T5, I theoretically should never see anyone higher than T3. Well, I've faced off with 228 and SJR in group queue, and -MS- in CW, and I've seen players like Kristian Radulov, Soy, and B33f in group queue, so I know what it's like to go up against the best in the game. Like Thomas Hobbes said, life typically is nasty, brutish, and short for me at that level-I'm just not nearly that good. I'm now seeing this same thing happen rather frequently in solo queue now, typically happening when I'm going into a match against a team on the other side with no faction affiliation and really, really stupid or offensive pilot names. That's almost guaranteed to be someone from the higher tiers out seal-clubbing. And oddly enough, I've often given almost as good as I got in those matches (I completed the last two events in medium mechs and I'm even worse as a medium pilot than I am in a Marauder) but if you all think the real noobs don't know why they're getting ROFLstomped you might be surprised. It's pretty obvious when it happens.

Edited by Chados, 31 January 2016 - 03:44 PM.

#14 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

View PostChados, on 31 January 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

I think a lot more of this goes on than is commonly realized.

I'm a perennial Underhiver because it took me a long time to figure out how to play this thing and you can't outweigh a whole lot of bad stats. I'm within a very short distance of moving into tier 4 now. I've got 2500 matches but I had about 600 or 700 with a KDR at about .17 before I started to get it, which had me with a nearly empty bar at T5 and thus it's been a long slog back up. My natural tier probably is mid-4 or so and I've managed to average damage scores in the 250 range when dropping group queue with high tier 2 and mid tier 1 unit mates, driving a 55 ton SRM brawler. That sucks for high tier play, I know. But given that I'm not anywhere like their level, it means something.

Running as a high T5, I theoretically should never see anyone higher than T3. Well, I've faced off with 228 and SJR in group queue, and -MS- in CW, and I've seen players like Kristian Radulov, Soy, and B33f in group queue, so I know what it's like to go up against the best in the game. Like Thomas Hobbes said, life typically is nasty, brutish, and short for me at that level-I'm just not nearly that good. I'm now seeing this same thing happen rather frequently in solo queue now, typically happening when I'm going into a match against a team on the other side with no faction affiliation and really, really stupid or offensive pilot names. That's almost guaranteed to be someone from the higher tiers out seal-clubbing. And oddly enough, I've often given almost as good as I got in those matches (I completed the last two events in medium mechs and I'm even worse as a medium pilot than I am in a Marauder) but if you all think the real noobs don't know why they're getting ROFLstomped you might be surprised. It's pretty obvious when it happens.

In group queue there are no protections from upper tiers because your group member's tiers are averaged to determine your match rating. Likely its getting set at 3 for your group which means you can face anyone in group queue. Solo queue is the only place where the hard locks prevent Tier 1s from facing Tier 4/5.

View PostIron Pete Chiwalski, on 31 January 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

Outstanding artwork!

Edited by EgoSlayer, 31 January 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#15 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

the artwork is amazing.

I really liked the LRM launcher within minimum range (undetonated missiles)

Remember everyone, most people in Tier 4 would be in Tier 1 if they didn't have lives and families.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 31 January 2016 - 04:24 PM.

#16 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

Theres some messed up people that play this game...

#17 Typhon27

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 210 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:35 PM

Embiggen

Can't wait to drop that word into conversation. Betcha no one will challenge it for fear of looking like an unsophisticated rube.

#18 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

Artwork rocks. Was tempted to do this with hunchbacks, but seeing reports like this makes me hold off.

#19 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

View PostIron Pete Chiwalski, on 31 January 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

I drew it myself yesterday, with olde time pencil and paper. Posted Image

You're gonna have to keep that up, because that is f***ing BEAUTIFUL!

#20 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:49 PM

The seal with the eye patch should be holding a binocular as befitting those who are permanently stuck in x2 zoom.

The three seals on the right reminds me of what happens at that narrow pass on Forest Colony - except the lead seal would be trying to reverse into at least 7 more seals.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users