Critique My Light Mech Tactics

Light Mech

7 replies to this topic

#1 3wesleyc

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:43 AM

Here is a video on my Light Mech tactics using the Pirates' Bane, Please leave any comments on how to improve, what I'm doing right, and what I'm doing wrong, (New Player here)

Edited by 3wesleyc, 02 February 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#2 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

Well to begin with ... you only have 10 leg armor. As a light, you want your legs to have all the armor you can.

As for that particular game, especially considering your short range loadout, try keeping your head down when you can. Poping your face in front of 6+ enemies with assaults and heavies in the mix might now be the best idea. A well placed alpha could take you out reall quick.

Outside of that, when your team is engaging the enemy, feel free to run circles around the enemy mech your team is focusing,

And last point... keep moving, don't stay immobile. Speed is your life. Stopping can often mean death if you're not paying attention and a long range mech has eyes on you.

Edited by Kira Onime, 02 February 2016 - 09:14 AM.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

~1:30. While looking for enemies try getting used to jockying back an forth rather'n being completely stationary. It keeps you from being completely immobile, an may save you from an unnoticed dual gauss sniper (Who could take a shot from outside the heat visual range. Would've had to've been from way across the low land area on the left, so not a common occurance this map, but a good habit to get into since you did get sightings from over there later in the match.)

~2:20. again too stationary. the idea of stepping forwards an backwards is to avoid the slow start up speed when you decide to move. Speed is life little light. By keeping a constant back/forth rock going, you can just jam the throttle whichever way your currently going when you spot someone.

~3:10. Excellent use of the terrain to save the legs whilest changing elevation. Thinkin' like a light ^__^

~4:44. A quick spamming the of targetting key whilest sweeping your cursor over the enemy'll pop up multipule target for your team. Not a bad plan to let 'em know there's a swarm of mechs in an area.

~5:10. And that is why I suggest some movement, even when staying in one place. That light showcased perfectly the flaw in standing still.

~6:00. Saved by poor aim. With opened internals, one shouldn't rely on the enemy missing their first shot to keep you alive. You were lucky this time, try not standing still whilest exposed.

~Leone.

#4 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

There's some good moments throughout, but overall I didn't feel good about your style of play in this match. If you want to hide around the edges and snipe at range, consider a Raven 3L or 4X (just hope they don't nerf the IS energy range as hard as Russ says they will). Don't be discouraged by my feedback, we've all got lots to learn in this game, even veterans have flaws Posted Image

As the others have stated, there is too much standing and trading with heavy, longer ranged mechs. You use cover (edge of the cliff) fairly well, but at times you were lucky to escape notice (or they just missed a lot). With a Locust if you take 1-2 solid hits, you're dead pretty fast so that's a risk you need to consider.

Trigger discipline is another point, you were taking a lot of shots at extreme range. Often that will just give your position away, so unless you're trying to distract the enemy, I'd hold fire until they get closer.

Finally, for the build, I'd swap to 4 medium lasers (or maybe 2MPL / 4SPL to avoid splitting ranges), add more leg/torso armor, and go from there. Legs are precious on any light. Lose one, you're usually dead in seconds.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 02 February 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#5 3wesleyc

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thank you for your input so far and I'll try to do my best to improve on my light skills

#6 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

About your build, two points:
1/ max the armor on all vital components: LEGS and torsos. You can save some tonnage on the arms and head, no problem;
2/ better don't mix the weapons on such mechs, and boat only one type. 3 MPLas for example, or, if you like little more range, 4 MLas.

The point 2 would also help you quit that horrible habit you have to shot weapons separately. There is one rule in this game: always alpha-strike (as long as you don't suffer from heat penalty). And that rule is even more important on light, fragile mechs like the Locust.
Two effects: concentrating damage and minimizing exposure.

I suggest you try to disable the two steps zoom. Not sure how it's called, but in the option menu it's possible to disable that useless middle zoom level.

Now about your game.

1/ when you're on the left side (especially at 1m45s) you're too vulnerable on the flank. You try to have a shot on the mech on the rock and place yourself in a cross fire position, able to being shot by mechs on the top and on your left.
Another basic rule: if possible, only face one enemy at a time.
You should have concentrate your fire on the mech on the left, breaking line of sight with the one on the right so they couldn't shoot at you.
Your opponents are rookies like you so they don't punish your mistake, but it's never too early to take good habits. Also, don't over-estimate ECM, it doesn't stop bullets Posted Image

2/ against the Adder, don't stop in front of him and don't run backward when you're fighting. Like you saw, you took heavy punishment and would have die without the support from your allies.
It would have been better to use your superior speed and mobility to get behind them, forcing them to stop and rotate, hopefully not fast enough to catch you. The "circle of death" makes you very predictable so it must not be abused, but in 1v1 it's a good tactic for a short time.
Also, I think in this fight you should have disengage. And maybe wait for your allies to come before you engage again. This is the strength of a fast mechs, you can engage and disengage like you want. If you're losing a fight, run away, break line of sight. And maybe come back later.
Oh, I almost forgot, another "rule" : avoid duels against another light as much as possible. Fight them with the help of teammates.

3/ when you're on the rock, you're standing in the open, too stationary. You can see them, they can see you. And shoot at you. (do that against experienced players, your life span is approximately 5 seconds ^^ )
The good way to poke with a Locust (and any other light, but the mobility quirks makes it pretty easy on the Locust) is to step forward just enough to have line of sight, alpha strike and retreat behind cover as fast as possible. If you're confident you enemies are already engaged against you allies, you can poke again, but if not better change location a bit between two pokes.

4/ all your shots of SPLas (except against the Adder) were almost out of range. Another reason to change your build for only one weapon type.

5/ (edit) don't forget to press "R" to get information about your targets. One of your light mech jobs is to identify and kill those cored mechs that retreated behind their lines and think they're safe.
Press "R" and aim for the weak component.

Well, I focused on the "wrong" points, but it's not all bad. Especially you didn't do any brainless moves. You have a basic understanding of how those kind of light mechs work, and your overall positioning was good, with the team and taking advantage of the high position (even if with the torso hardpoints it's not always handy). Maybe next time try to get in a flanking position, but still stay patient and careful, always ready to retreat if you're spotted.
Anyway, you're in the right direction and I'm confident you will improve with practice.

If you don't mind my self-promotion and are insterested in watching such thing, here is a one hour video of Locust gameplay (tier 1, few group drops but mostly solo queue)

Edited by epikt, 02 February 2016 - 04:28 PM.

#7 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

I hope this game stays fun for you, as I think you've got the right attitude (willing to learn!) and some solid basics going. Looking forward to seeing you in the higher tiers (I'm a few wins away from T2 myself) :)

#8 the punk who stole your thunder

• PipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:34 AM

Regarding the "speed being life"-thing:

1) specially lateral movement means life, straight movement often means death

2) if you have seismic sensor it is sometimes useful to stop for a brief moment to let the module work.

I think it is most important to be unpredictable - be where you should not be and move where they dont expect you to move - even stop your movement .... but dont cirlce the enemy - to predictable ;-)

And last: know when to disengage .. sometimes you can lure the pursuing enemy into your waiting assaults

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users