Gtx 980 Weirdness--Driver Crashing And Recovering

31 replies to this topic

#21 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

Sometimes the Card does not sit accurate in the Slot - the tech is that sensible that this enough to provoke such failure.
Try allways first and take the Card out of the Slot and put it back in b4 you do other stuff - test also the external power Connections.

If it does not help try the other stuff...

#22 Tahawus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

Tell your wife you need a whole new computer and then donate the 980 to me.

#23 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 05 February 2016 - 12:03 PM, said:

Sometimes the Card does not sit accurate in the Slot - the tech is that sensible that this enough to provoke such failure.
Try allways first and take the Card out of the Slot and put it back in b4 you do other stuff - test also the external power Connections.

If it does not help try the other stuff...

It's been in and out of the slot 4 times now.

Tahawus, you're not helping, and I'd keep the 980 for a new rig. What's really disgusting is a new CPU + MB would cost the less than the GPU.

#24 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 05 February 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Really dumb question: my PCI cable has two 6+2 pin cables on it. I should use both of those to power the GPU, and not completely separate cables for each, right?

Depends on the PSU and how many amps each rail will supply. Personally I'd use two separate cables to spread the load. But that's just me.

#25 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 05 February 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Really dumb question: my PCI cable has two 6+2 pin cables on it. I should use both of those to power the GPU, and not completely separate cables for each, right?

Posted Image

You should fill the cards patches with as few as one cable.

This is kosher:
Posted Image

The pin-count on a cards' power patch seems to be about what it takes to lay traces on silicone …

#26 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

I thought it was fine, I'm just losing my mind trying to chase this error down. Thanks

#27 Dirqdiggler

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCanada, British Columbia

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

Have you tried draining the capacitors on motherboard/ psu, clearing of cmos trick.

#28 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

The fact that it worked and then you moved it and it crashed, then it worked, etc. - really grasping at straws, but you did "lock" the PCI-E slot right? I don't know what your experience is with building, but the PIC-E slot has that little lock you have to slide to keep heavy cards from moving. Older PCI slots don't have that.

I know, it seems really obvious, but honestly it is the little things that are usually the culprit. Only reason I ask is because the 750 is a much lighter, smaller card and may not have been enough torque to make it come out. But that 980 is such a monster that just the minute vibration from the van could make it fall out.

Other than that I can only suggest the end all be all of software fixes - format and restart.

#29 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

PCI-E was locked. I exhausted evga's support as well and they're offering to pay shipping on an RMA, so the old card is back in for the moment. Hopefully the next one works out.

Thanks for the help guys

#30 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

Sucks but glad they were able to RMA. Good luck with the new one.

#31 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

New one arrived yesterday. Dropped it in and it was plug and play, no issues so far. Will continue testing it out with a wary eye, but MWO on max settings at 60 fps locked looks GOOD.

#32 Corzza

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

Glad its sorted tin man. You will love that 980 rock solid at 60 fps on max. I know I do

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users