in game voice chat

29 replies to this topic

#21 VooDooPC

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

<Steve S> How is chatting, either with the keyboard or by voice, handled in MWO (and does this include a global setting)?
<[PGI]Omid> You have Team/Lance/All chat available in game. We decided not to build our own VOIP implementation at this time, most people usually have their own solutions (TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, etc) anyways and we decided we didn’t need to reinvent the wheel while there were other, more important things to get done first. We do see the value in having built-in VOIP though, as it would let you talk to people you're matched with outside of a pre-made. It's just not going to be there at Launch.

Edited by VooDooPC, 13 July 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#22 v4p0r

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

View PostVooDooPC, on 13 July 2012 - 12:05 AM, said:

<Steve S> How is chatting, either with the keyboard or by voice, handled in MWO (and does this include a global setting)?
<[PGI]Omid> You have Team/Lance/All chat available in game. We decided not to build our own VOIP implementation at this time, most people usually have their own solutions (TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, etc) anyways and we decided we didn’t need to reinvent the wheel while there were other, more important things to get done first. We do see the value in having built-in VOIP though, as it would let you talk to people you're matched with outside of a pre-made. It's just not going to be there at Launch.

This makes me sad, Communication is key in any battle and as someone who plays at off hours it would be nice to be able to communicate with my teams of randoms when i cant get enough of my clanmates/friends on teamspeak.

#23 MysteryNotes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

As long as they allow us to mute other players using voice chat, it sounds like a good idea.

#24 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

View PostIzac, on 12 July 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

VOIP with a little functionality will go a long ways in this game.

I have been looking at Dolby/Axon. It works pretty well and has some channel features. I think for a lance up to a 12 mech company it is probably the easiest voice program out there. I too feel that communication is going to be crucial for successful combats.

#25 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

View PostJessie C, on 13 July 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

Mumble and TS would work fine (vent is for children who do not understand how to test different things out before they settle for something) , let the dev's work on the game content, others have already solved the issues of voice comms. Also with short matches, possibly containing pickup players, voice comms would see spotty ingame usage anyway. Organized groups will likely use their own third part VOIP systems, especially if your dealing with people who are grouped up in other games.

I have used teamspeak but not mumble and also have used ventrillo. I have seen good in game voice like L4D2 and bad as well. I have had good and bad experiences with teamspeak and ventrillo also. I think those that have it are going to love having it.

#26 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

When we do get Voice comms in game. you could thin out the voice traffic by dividing it by lance. You would have to switch to a specific lance's frequency to talk to them. That way the groups of four could operate independently without broadcasting their chat uselessly to people all the way across the map. just press lance chat key 1, 2 or 3 to listen or say what you need to. And if you don't mind lots of chatter, just punch into them all.

#27 Vaktor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 271 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

View PostMysteryNotes, on 13 July 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

As long as they allow us to mute other players using voice chat, it sounds like a good idea.

Yeah there is only so much, "SHUT UP NEWB" a man can take.

#28 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

View Postv4p0r, on 13 July 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

This makes me sad, Communication is key in any battle and as someone who plays at off hours it would be nice to be able to communicate with my teams of randoms when i cant get enough of my clanmates/friends on teamspeak.

Based upon the percentage of people I run into on a regular basis randomly, trust me, you are not going to want voice comms with most of them! :P

#29 AntharPrime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

I've never had a problem with the in game VOIP with other games, they just take a little tweaking when you set them up and they work better when they are "push to talk", most games will allow you to mute specific players so a troll spamming over the VOIP is never usually a problem.

#30 Marketh

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Seconded.
I think I've only ever had to block maybe half a dozen users in total, ever.. so as for these people 'blocking thousands', maybe even the exaggeration is a bit too far. Besides, you won't be /forced/ to use it. Don't like it? don't run it!

Not all of us are going into this with our own gaming posse and it'd be nice to be able to teamwork with willing lancemates without having to stop and go "hey buddy, you got vent? no? what about mumble? no? okay, teamspeak? right. okay, just hold up, my server details are...."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users