29 replies to this topic

#1 Pioantom

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hey guys I was just curious, have the developers mentioned if there is going to be any in game voice chat? It just seems to me it might be hard to type and pilot a 50+ ton engine of destruction. I know we can always use vent and other programs, I was just wondering.

#2 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Not at launch. Maybe later.

#3 Pioantom

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts
  • Locationcolorado

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

Cool beans

#4 Argann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

You're kidding right? I would rather stick with Vent, and TS; avoide the mic spamming kiddies. What they should do is have a decent text channel system, on par with wc3.

Posted Image

Edited by Argann, 12 July 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#5 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Vent/TS/and other 3rd party VOIPS are not always the answer. a built in VOIP can be used by those who cannot, do not, will not use 3rd party VOIPS. Do not discount those who fall into the categories of cannot, do not, will not. they are just as viable as those who have access to them.

#6 SyberSmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationOrbiting Reality

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 12 July 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Vent/TS/and other 3rd party VOIPS are not always the answer. a built in VOIP can be used by those who cannot, do not, will not use 3rd party VOIPS. Do not discount those who fall into the categories of cannot, do not, will not. they are just as viable as those who have access to them.

A built in VOIP also allows a non-prebuilt group to communicate like a prebuilt one. But few people really have mics or use them. I just use my Bluetooth ear piece from my phone thanks to a $5 dongle.

#7 Izac

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOK, USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

VOIP with a little functionality will go a long ways in this game.

#8 Argann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 12 July 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Have you ever used a built-in mic system in a game, it's usually terrible. I would rather the devlopers focused on the framwork mechanics first, and then implement this at a much later patch. From what I understand the game is currently barebones, and much needs to be done before they can even consider this.

#9 Acis

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Locationsan francisco

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

voice communication would definitely be a cool addition, so who knows

#10 Greevis

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

It would be nice if they implemented an in game voice chat. Quick communication is going to be vital and trying to type and pilot a scout Mech at 100kmh+ is going to be interesting .

#11 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostArgann, on 12 July 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

Have you ever used a built-in mic system in a game, it's usually terrible. I would rather the devlopers focused on the framwork mechanics first, and then implement this at a much later patch. From what I understand the game is currently barebones, and much needs to be done before they can even consider this.

ive used some that stink and some that dont. have not used the one on steam, but, for anyone who knows of Aces High 2, its built in VOIP works just fine. Oh and Syber, thats why I want a built in VOIP to help make things, well, work better.

#12 Hety

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Built-in VOIP = have to switch off thousands of dumb kids. Been there done that. If you dont have a group with ya it doesnt matter if you can communicate or not - it will always be a mess.

Edited by Hety, 12 July 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#13 Titus Pullo XIII

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationNova Roma

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'm still waiting for someone to discover a way to force a players mic to crackle and hiss when they expire. "Atlases to the left of me, Catapults to the right, here I am, stuck in the mi--*KKSHSHHHH*"

Edited by Titus Pullo XIII, 12 July 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#14 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

"Shot in the middle by you."

I am a little disappointed that a game touting information warfare is forcing us to communicate like it's 1993. I understand that they have a lot to work on, but it seems like something they should have been trying to do for a long time. I'm sure that some VOIP entity would rather enjoy having their logo in the startup screen as what powers our voice comms. Maybe just try licensing one.

#15 Whip

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationDarwin, Australia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

In game voice IMHO can go hang, as there is more important work to be done re the game, and can always be added at a latter date.

It's a "Nice to have" feature and can be a game changer, but also produces it's own problems.

For the moment, go with a third party set up.

For those who will not use 3rd party for whatever reasons (some of them may have run out of tin foil for their hats) and still want to communicate effectively in chat, may I suggest then lashing out a few bucks and getting a key board capable of storing macros, making up some common ones and then assigning them to one of the unused keys and using that as an intrim measure.

I use this as well as the instant chat functions in WoT and seems to be able to convey the mesage quite effectively (to the ones that can read anyway)

#16 Foxmoan

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostGreevis, on 12 July 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

It would be nice if they implemented an in game voice chat. Quick communication is going to be vital and trying to type and pilot a scout Mech at 100kmh+ is going to be interesting .

I can only assume thats how the Jenner ended up getting itself killed in the "An Average Day In Beta" post a couple days ago. Just imagine, the pilot trying to relay that he found the Atlas to his teamates via typing (and his hand off the throttle/controls). "Hey guys I found a~!" *WUD!*

Edited by Foxmoan, 12 July 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#17 MuffinTop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

Posted Image

#18 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostFoxmoan, on 12 July 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

I can only assume thats how the Jenner ended up getting itself killed in the "An Average Day In Beta" post a couple days ago. Just imagine, the pilot trying to relay that he found the Atlas to his teamates via typing (and his hand off the throttle/controls). "Hey guys I found a~!" *WUD!*

This is incredibly accurate. Unless you plan on playing only with your own clan, information is almost completely out. I intend to be a free-wheeler myself. I've got half a mind to dedicate myself to playing as hardcore artillery as I can. That's pretty much done for now though. If I want the kind of coordination that dedicated artillery support is going to need, I'm going to have to Corp/House/Clan up.

Maybe add voice macros like Tribes Ascend. That's a fairly adequate setup, but it's probably not flexible enough for MWO's combat.

I intended to get a third party voice application before this anyway, but that was so I could record let's play footage/livestream without bothering the rest of the players in the match.

#19 REDIII

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

I use raidcall for all of my games it's got good quality

#20 Jessie C

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Mumble and TS would work fine (vent is for children who do not understand how to test different things out before they settle for something) , let the dev's work on the game content, others have already solved the issues of voice comms. Also with short matches, possibly containing pickup players, voice comms would see spotty ingame usage anyway. Organized groups will likely use their own third part VOIP systems, especially if your dealing with people who are grouped up in other games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users