1 reply to this topic

#1 HerDinky

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:38 PM

I bought a new laptop.

i7-5500U 12GB with a GF940M. I expected to have no problems running MWO on this but I fail to breach 20FPS for some reason. I updated the NVIDIA driver and checked if the client is started with the NVIDIA GPU and it says it is.

I am ran the game on medium settings and got 20FPS. I turned the cockpit moniters off and particles to low and still recieved 20FPS.

I checked the CPU performance allowances and it can throttle all the way up. There is no noticeable heat generation or fan noise.

Even in the main menu where I really should be able to get 50FPS I never get above 24.

Can anyone help me get back to enoying MWO?

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

The CPU is a U-series chip meant to save power, and in that series most if not all of the i7s are actually the same as a 'regular' mobile i5. They're 2 cores with hyperthreading, and meant to have lower clock speeds. This one only goes to a max of 3.0GhZ.

The GPU is low-end, about half as fast as the GTX 860M that is considered the bare minimum for having a decent laptop gaming experience. Based on benchmarks on Notebook Check, this 940 GPU can barely sustain 35-40fps in Crysis 3 with everything set to low at a resolution of 1024x768. It does 40-45fps in Far Cry 4 with everything set to low at a resolution of 1024x768. If you're at 1080p and at anything other than low settings, you're not going to get much out of it.

Tuning-wise, try these:
- turn environment down to low
- turn shadows down to low
- set the cpu max in the power settings to 98%
- set the system power options to maximum performance
- set the nvidia driver to maximum performance
- set the nvidia driver for performance instead of quality
- try turning your resolution down

This might help you squeeze out a few more FPS, but that system was not really meant for gaming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users