15 replies to this topic

#1 Feywald

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, England

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

So we have 4 heavy 'classic mechs' followed by a clan assault mech with the word 'Totem' on its page. Now i have had a look at sarna (because i dont remember all of them) and i realized that not all totem mechs are clan.

I am kinda expecting the next three 'Totem' mechs to be Battle Cobra, Black Lanner (both mediums) and the Turkina (another assault). All three are Omni mechs (which the Kodiak is not) but there is not any other mechs that have three variants and are available time wise for the clans that is not a quad-mech.

So do people think they will release some of the inner sphere totems instead? Something like the Hatamoto-Chi (assault) and the Eisenfaust (Medium). I do not think its likely but it seems odd they would release the first totem as the only non omni mech in a group.

http://www.sarna.net...otem_BattleMech

#2 Asterisk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 107 posts
  • LocationVandenberg AFB, CA

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

I think we'll see more totems, both IS and Clan. I hope that they release faction-skinned or specially-quirked variants of existing totem mechs that have already been released.

#3 Wolfenkalt Steinulfsson

• Pip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

Well, If I am correct, I think the EBJ is also a totem mech, so the Kodiak is not the first I guess.

#4 Feywald

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

Yeah the EBJ is a totem as is the Shadow Cat

#5 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:20 PM

wasn't direwolf and ice ferret also?

#6 Feywald

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:14 AM

Ice ferret was originally called Wolf Hunter and was built by clan Ice Hellion to take down Timber Wolves clan wolf won the design and renamed it Ice Ferret as an insult because Ice Ferrets eat Hellions.

Dire Wolf was not meant to be a totem mech, just the ultimate in assault mechs.

Neither are on the Totem mech page of Sarna, and there pages there dont mention them as totem mech's.

http://www.sarna.net...otem_BattleMech (list of totem mechs and links)

#7 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:16 AM

No one has mentioned the Timber Wolf?

It must go without saying that it's a totem mech. :)

#8 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:14 AM

View PostFeywald, on 05 February 2016 - 02:14 AM, said:

Ice ferret was originally called Wolf Hunter and was built by clan Ice Hellion to take down Timber Wolves clan wolf won the design and renamed it Ice Ferret as an insult because Ice Ferrets eat Hellions.

Dire Wolf was not meant to be a totem mech, just the ultimate in assault mechs.

Neither are on the Totem mech page of Sarna, and there pages there dont mention them as totem mech's.

http://www.sarna.net...otem_BattleMech (list of totem mechs and links)

cheers, I never fully learned what a totem mech was and just threw that arround as the near-exclusive, special mech of a faction(s) that's iconic, which fit the bill for most mechs until you run into the ice ferret and direwolf for eg...

#9 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostFeywald, on 04 February 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

So we have 4 heavy 'classic mechs' followed by a clan assault mech with the word 'Totem' on its page. Now i have had a look at sarna (because i dont remember all of them) and i realized that not all totem mechs are clan.

I am kinda expecting the next three 'Totem' mechs to be Battle Cobra, Black Lanner (both mediums) and the Turkina (another assault). All three are Omni mechs (which the Kodiak is not) but there is not any other mechs that have three variants and are available time wise for the clans that is not a quad-mech.

I suppose, if PGI was ready to advance the timeline, they could add Clan Nova Cat and Clan Steel Viper as factions.

Then, they could easily add the Nova Cat mech.
Clan Steel Viper's totem mechs would be the Battle Cobra and maybe the Scylla.

Clan Diamond Shark would be candidates after them, and from the Invading Clans sourcebook, their first totem mech seen on the field was the Piranha. It was a trollish thing with 12 machine guns...
Heck, it could be PGIs totem mech...

...But I bet the Turkina is likely the next totem mech.

#10 Feywald

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:08 AM

I do not think PGI is going to include the other factions it would probably split the clan units down a lot. Wolf population would be fairly stable but can you imagine if they went conically and made clan Hells Horses i dont think they would have more then 4 players.

Also killing clan smoke jaguar wold be pretty harsh on its fans (that is a long way off though).

I doubt the the Piranha mech seeing the light of day though. What can you do with 12 balistic hardpoints and three lasers on a 20 tonn mech which already has Xl engine? you either ignore the balistics or run it as stock.

#11 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:15 AM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 05 February 2016 - 03:16 AM, said:

No one has mentioned the Timber Wolf?

It must go without saying that it's a totem mech. Posted Image

It's not, though.

#12 Aeon Veritas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 113 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:30 AM

Wasn't in the recent Town hall mentioned that we get another single mech package after the Kodiak and after this there will be a new 4-mech package?

#13 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:24 PM

View PostAeon Veritas, on 06 February 2016 - 12:30 AM, said:

Wasn't in the recent Town hall mentioned that we get another single mech package after the Kodiak and after this there will be a new 4-mech package?

Yes, hinted but apparently not confirmed the next single pack will be a IS mech. (my money is on one of these two: longbow or marauder II. As we got 4 unseen clasic mechs and than a random clan mech and stated 1 more IS mech before we get Clan Wave IV in.

#14 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:11 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 06 February 2016 - 10:24 PM, said:

Yes, hinted but apparently not confirmed the next single pack will be a IS mech. (my money is on one of these two: longbow or marauder II. As we got 4 unseen clasic mechs and than a random clan mech and stated 1 more IS mech before we get Clan Wave IV in.

Champion.

#15 Feywald

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:31 AM

View PostBSK, on 06 February 2016 - 11:11 PM, said:

Champion.

Do you mean the champion mech or that you approve?
I think things will get really confused if they release a mech called champion let alone what another IS heavy mech will do to the balance of mech's in the ques.

#16 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:01 AM

Sarna is a wiki and not entirely accurate across all of its pages.

The Timber Wolf, first seen by the Inner Sphere in the initial Clan Invasion, is identified as Clan Wolf's older totem Mech in TR: 3145, in the description of the Warwolf, a Mech intended to replace it.

The Smoke Jaguar totem is the Ebon Jaguar, which appears at the Battle of Luthien. The Ghost Bears are getting the Kodiak, which is slightly anachronistic.

Of the playable Clan factions, only the Jade Falcons lack a totem mech, and the Turkina is introduced at the Battle of Tukayyid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users