Big Learning Curve

24 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

I can tell i have a big learning curve ahead of me. tried the rapid fire again in academy and this time got up to 7 kills with raven 3l , then i did the gauntlet and best i could do was 6 markers before i was destroyed. Learning how to handle the speed is something else. Not sure how to get a different mech atm but as i said i am learning. The biggest challenge is learning how to get crosshairs on target before mech gets to you or gets out of range.

#2 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

You're not wrong. I played multiple MechWarrior games before this one and it still took me a good while to get the hang of this one. The Raven is a good mech and my personal favorite but learning the game while going at 140 kph fits firmly in the Little Mac Training category. That being said... that's exactly how I learned the game.

EDIT - Oh, and to change mechs in the Academy, approach one of the ones lined up by the big Citadel thing by the water. I can't check right now so I don't know what button you press but hopefully it prompts you.

Edited by DrRedCoat, 04 February 2016 - 04:41 PM.

#3 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

i figure i wont be ready for actual combat until i can learn to hit more moving targets than i am now and finish the rapid fire challenge. Not to mention learning how to torso twist and get through the various gauntlets.

#4 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

One way to look at it; if you learn to consistently hit a target while travelling at 135+ KPH it should make it much easier when travelling 80 - 70 - 60 KPH.

One of the main problems new players tend to have is firing accurately while staying mobile, it's harder to pinpoint a panel if the target is moving, so if they stop to aim/shoot (a throwback to World of Tanks I would guess) they are more likely to receive devastating return fire.

Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it soon enough :)

Edited by xX PUG Xx, 04 February 2016 - 05:23 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

As promised before you migrated to a new thread....
I went and tried it out.
Shooting gallery, done.
Onslaught, first try.
Rapid fire, I make it to the last target on the third round and every time -- the time runs out before I can fire.

Used Catapult K2, chain fired PPCs.
Used Catapult Jester heromech, chain fired LL / MLs.
Used Jagermech Firebrand. Chainfired PPCs, alpha-fire AC/2s.

Each time third round, can't get that last turret. My mouse sensitivity is just a smidge too high and this wireless one can't be adjusted like my normal one.

3 tries with Jester. 4 tries with K2. 2 tries with Firebrand.

Side note: Running Cored is a far better exercise for learning to shoot.

#6 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 04 February 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

i figure i wont be ready for actual combat until i can learn to hit more moving targets than i am now and finish the rapid fire challenge. Not to mention learning how to torso twist and get through the various gauntlets.

Usually it's the other way around, new players jumping into action without taking time on the tutorial... even if it's important to learn to manoeuvre your mech and everything, don't delay to much your first actual PvP match, there's really no point of being shy. During your first games you'll face rookies like you, don't worry, you'll be able to make mistakes without massive punishment.

#7 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

Torso twisting is an extremely invaluable skill in this game but as epikt said, don't be shy about jumping into games. At the end of the day, nothing prepares you better than going head to head with real people.

#8 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

will moving the mouse cursur from side to side count as a torso twist?

#9 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostDrRedCoat, on 04 February 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

. At the end of the day, nothing prepares you better than going head to head with real people.

This.
Dont be shy, jump on in.
Btw, have you tried lowering your mouse sensitivity? Makes a big difference.

But.... It is a video game, who care if you suck off the tip of the bat? Nobody started as an ace pilot.

I have no shame, I did a WHOPPING 3 damage my first match, and Ive been playing mechwarrior and battletech games for decades.

Nothing can replace the experience and lessons you can pick up playing against real players. The simulator is great to wet your feet, but it is very very rudimentary.

#10 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 04 February 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

Mech's head's don't swivel, so when you turn the mech to look left, anyone shooting you from the front will end up, hopefully, hitting your right torso, or right arm instead of your juicy Center torso, cuz it's off looking left. This act is called the torso twist. It can also be used to hide a weapon heavy arm from damage as well.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 04 February 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#11 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:33 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 04 February 2016 - 06:39 PM, said:

Essentially yes, that is torso twisting.

There is a good video on YouTube that demonstrates torso twisting, "rolling" damage and the use of shield arms such as found on a Centurion. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work and using my phone so no links available but one of the good folks may be able to help there.

#12 Dont Brawl With This Atlas

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

may i suggest that you choose the way of a brawler

tons tons of dmg lie ahead of you

to pilot assault u need patience and seismic module before anything else

#13 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:07 AM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 04 February 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

There is a good video on YouTube that demonstrates torso twisting, "rolling" damage and the use of shield arms such as found on a Centurion. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work and using my phone so no links available but one of the good folks may be able to help there.

I'm pretty sure you mean this video:

Also look at the full playlist (and channel), it's really well made and beginner-friendly.

#14 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:01 AM

One last tip that seems nobody remembered.

Adjusting mouse sensitivity will actually help you be more accurate while moving and shooting.

Each user and/or hardware used has its own set ups, so my suggestion would be to try and go around a standing mech shooting at 1 component with lasers. If you miss too much, get out of the training session, adjust the sensitivity and get back in. Rinse and repeat until you are able to move around a mech hitting always the same component at every shot.

For this, its best you use lasers.

Once you have this set-up just right for you, your life will be easier on the battleground.

Oh, and for the love of MechaJesus, remember to ALWAYS press "R".

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:04 AM

if you get to the point where you can do that you will be far better when you play your first match than most new players are, however as others have said do not be afraid to get started and try a few real games.

if you are keeping going through the training exercises I advise taking a variety of trial Mechs into it (go to select Mech and make sure both and all are selected wherever possible), so you can see how the various weapons and Mechs handle

#16 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:32 AM

View PostFlipOver, on 05 February 2016 - 03:01 AM, said:

Adjusting mouse sensitivity will actually help you be more accurate while moving and shooting.

Sure, but while it's not useless we must be honest here, in this game you don't need to be a good aimer and steady with your mouse. The first thing to practice and think about is positioning, map knowledge and situational awareness.
(and we're in luck, because those three factors are also 75% of a good aim)

Edited by epikt, 05 February 2016 - 04:32 AM.

#17 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:11 AM

Academy Onslaught and running cored are good game modes at the beginning. Make sure you play them with different mechs (you can switch with semicolon to the mechs at the academy). Anything beyond that is learning by doing. Make sure you can manage 3 firegroups effectively and dont build mechs with more than 4 firegroups/different weapons.

Try things, fail at them and learn. And always have fun playing MWO Posted Image

Edited by Exard3k, 05 February 2016 - 05:11 AM.

#18 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostExard3k, on 05 February 2016 - 05:11 AM, said:

Make sure you can manage 3 firegroups effectively and dont build mechs with more than 4 firegroups/different weapons.

Completely agree here, although how many fire groups is also partially dependent on what mouse or trackball you use as much as what you can keep track of in your head in a fight.

#19 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:24 AM

Hi Douglas grizzly!

Looks like you've already learned and trained some important essentials in the academy.
Next important thing is terrain awareness (know your map) and enemy awareness.
TIP: When there is a short flash in your cockpit (and maybe some accusitc signal too) an enemy can see you, or is able to see you (doens't mean that he really has spotted you). Keep an eye on that.

Fight some matches, and watch the others after you are dead. There is much you can learn from things they do well as from things the do wrong.

And, top of it all: HAVE FUN!

Greetings

el piro

#20 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

I switched to one of the other mechs for two different missions and had some decent result/ ! i came very close to breaking the captains ai. his center torso was cherry red before he knocked me out. 2 the rapid fire i switched to a mech with 2 auto2 and 2 ppc and i did very well. i almost finished level 3 rapid fire and also level 3 on moving targets too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users