- - - - -

Hunchback Iic Pack Or Kodiak Collector Pack?

14 replies to this topic

#1 RebJohhny

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:10 AM

So after playing for half a year i am looking at getting my first pack.

I play Clan mechs a lot and have narrowed it down to either the HUNCHBACK IIC pack or KODIAK COLLECTOR pack. Both same price.

Both packs have good points imo.

Kodiak pack gets 4 assault mechs and the Kodiak(S) has a great pattern, plus it gets the 60 days premium time which would help me level my mechs up too. Plus i get the early adopters stuff.

The IIC pack is great as i get six mechs and two are cbill bonus ones. Plus i always liked the look of the Hunchbacks so i am thinking to get this pack at present.

What do others think?

#2 GovernmenTTrash

• PipPip
  • The Patron
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:07 AM

The hunchback will probably become available for c bill purchase in the next few months anyways. Get the Kodiak

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

View PostRebJohhny, on 06 February 2016 - 02:10 AM, said:

So after playing for half a year i am looking at getting my first pack.

I play Clan mechs a lot and have narrowed it down to either the HUNCHBACK IIC pack or KODIAK COLLECTOR pack. Both same price.

Both packs have good points imo.

Kodiak pack gets 4 assault mechs and the Kodiak(S) has a great pattern, plus it gets the 60 days premium time which would help me level my mechs up too. Plus i get the early adopters stuff.

The IIC pack is great as i get six mechs and two are cbill bonus ones. Plus i always liked the look of the Hunchbacks so i am thinking to get this pack at present.

What do others think?

I would advise the Kodiak pack with the Hero not the collector pack, the collector pack will get you 2 of the Kodiak KDK-1 a standard variant and the bonus cbill variant, where as the standard+hero gives you the MASC Kodiak hero, which to me like the most interesting variant (although that is just my opinion many will likely disagree).
the Kodiak will not release until mid May where as you would get the Hunchback IIC within an hour of your payment clearing.

the HBK-IIC and especially JR7-IIC are great chassis but we will not know how good the Kodiak is until its release (I suspect it will be excellent, essentially a fast Atlas on steroids, with the option for Clan Heavy speeds for short bursts on the Hero thanks to MASC) but we will not know for another 3.5 months, however the JR7-IIC will be available for cbills in 2 weeks and HBK-IIC will be available for cbills in 4 weeks.

now you have the information it is up to you to decide.

#4 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:09 AM

If you want something to play now and still don't mind dropping money I would spend 20 on a Warhammer or Maurader pack, and then preorder the 20 Kodiak pack so you get the bonus loot when it hits. The bonus items add up to 20 million in cbills if you include module costs.

Once the Kodiak releases the jury will be in on it after a few hours and then you can upgrade to collectors or hero edition. It would be 20 either way. Personally I think the hero is going to obselete the AS7 in pug matchs. Really depends on how fragile the hitboxes are. Still won't be a great mech for CW, but in solo drops or the "soon to be released " Solaris ranked play it could dominate.

#5 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:38 PM

It depends if you want to play Clan or IS on CW...

Currently 3 Mechs and added extras is a great deal for the Kodiak at $20 US

Edited by Ember Stormfield, 06 February 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

View PostEmber Stormfield, on 06 February 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

It depends if you want to play Clan or IS on CW...

Currently 3 Mechs and added extras is a great deal for the Kodiak at $20 US

Either way, BOTH are Clan.
Hunchback "IIC" (Clan) and Kodiak.
o.O;

I'm thinking this one depends more on "Want something now" (get HBK IIC) or "Want something later with some bonuses for paying now" (Get the Kodiak).

#7 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:09 PM

I got the hunchback pack, here's what I can say about it:
- You'll need to buy new expensive XL engines for a lot of the mechs, XL200 on the hunchback is too slow, although good on the ballistic boat, and XL315 is heavy on a Jenner, especially the 6 missile origins version.
- The Jenner is worse than the Cheetah in many situations, mainly due to the Cheetah's ECM. They do have higher hardpoints though, and the 6M origins Jenner is quite powerful with SRMs.
- The Hunchback has extremely high hardpoints and an equally high cockpit. It is potentially one of the best ridge peekers in the game. The large STs make it fragile in a brawl.

You'd be better to get the standard kodiak + hero add-on INSTEAD of the collector pack. Kodiak vs IICs is harder to decide.

Edited as I didn't mean it to read that way.

Edited by John1352, 07 February 2016 - 12:42 AM.

#8 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

its a toss up. I've got the hunchbacks and love them but all of the IIC mechs feel paper thin on the armor.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 06 February 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#9 RebJohhny

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for all the answers. I was almost set on getting the Hunchback & Jenner IIs because you get some paints which would help me make my mechs more interesting and i would get 6 mechbays and mechs all up, now im not so sure. Darn decisions!!!!!!

Edited by RebJohhny, 07 February 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#10 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:36 AM

The Kodiak will not be released for quite a while. The origins pack is available now.

#11 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:39 AM

Bad decision imho.

The Hunchback IIC will cost, what? About 10 Mil. C-Bills per Mech, while the Kodiak will cost about 20 Mil C-Bills.
If you had spend just 20 Bucks on the Kodiak Standard-Pack you would get the most bang for your buck.

#12 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:40 AM

Hunchback IIC is available NOW. And available for CBills in a month. About the Kodiak....you have to wait a few months to play it.

I'd say....be patient, get Kodiak package with early adopter reward and wait for Hunchback IIC via CBills

Edited by Exard3k, 07 February 2016 - 12:51 AM.

#13 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:57 AM

It depends on what you enjoy playing.

Hunchback IIC is a relatively mobile skirmisher, though as squishy as all Mediums are. I have enjoyed levelling them.

Jenner IIC is a bit of a mixed bag, fast, but seems oddly fragile vs standard Jenners. It's fun, none-the-less.

Kodiak will be a lumbering beast, similar in nature to an Atlas (albeit better due to MASC on one variant, and all the Clan Tech advantages of lower weight, longer range weapons).

PIck the Mech you think you will enjoy playing more.

Picking the Kodiak just because its equivalent CBill value is higher would be a dumb decision ... if you don't enjoy playing large, lumbering Mechs. (For example, I levelled 5 Atlases 2 years ago, and have barely played a match in one since then because I generally dislike the slow and limiting playstyle they require to be successful.)

Edited by Appogee, 07 February 2016 - 01:00 AM.

#14 RebJohhny

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

Thanks all decision made... youll see if you see me on the battlefield with them. Posted Image

#15 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:29 AM

View PostRebJohhny, on 08 February 2016 - 08:10 PM, said:

Thanks all decision made... youll see if you see me on the battlefield with them. Posted Image

I'll check the ground for some destroyed Hunchback IIC and/or Kodiaks then Posted Image

Edited by Exard3k, 09 February 2016 - 03:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users