What To Expect In Tier 1

28 replies to this topic

#21 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:23 PM

View Postadamts01, on 06 February 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

This is absolutely true. The quality of games has been in a slow decline sine about 3 weeks after Steam. I can't play solo que anymore. I drop with some comp players in group que and do my best to keep up, but in solo que I lead matches in my Locust.... I just can't handle it anymore. I spent all day on the forum instead of in game... I'll start up again after this next patch.

That's because PSR isn't nearly harsh enough, meaning nobody ever "plateaus" at a skill level and simply march towards tier 1 at varying levels of speed.

It needs to get increasingly harder to make enough match score to go +PSR as you go up in tier, and likewise the bar needed to avoid going down as well. And exceptionally poor showings should cause greater -PSR at higher tiers.

By Tier 2, a rock-bottom showing on a -win- should be enough to cause -PSR. In Tier 1, it should require visible effort to even maintain your current rank, much less push the bar towards the top.

At it stands, there's really no Mt. Tryhard- it's just a road with an incline that gets you to the top based on your engine, and by the time you hit T3, your skill level vs. actual good people really isn't much. You'll still play them and get stomped, of course.

#22 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

What to expect in Tier 1? Not much difference.

#23 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 06 February 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

You can reliably expect half your team to fail dealing 200 damage, and wins be produced by RNGeesus.

Is that any different to any other tier then ?

#24 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 06 February 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

Is that any different to any other tier then ?

Probably not...I wouldn't know.

My EXP bar came full. Too many matches played.

#25 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:33 PM

PUG Life™ is a byproduct of mass chaos. Getting up in Tiers reduces the chaos... but only like a teeny tiny bit.

Most of the time, success is defined like this:

Not From the Book of Paul Standard Rankings said:

Success = ((More good players on your team +/- Less Terribad players on your team) +/-
(Less good players on the opfor +/- More Terribad players on opfor))/∞

If the result is an imaginary number, all servers will randomly crash.

Edited by Deathlike, 06 February 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#26 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:44 PM

Wait times go up. Games tend to be smarter. Still see stomps, no doubt.

Grinding out a garbage variant can be a bit more tedious.

Well... really its not that different from t2.

Edited by RoboPatton, 06 February 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#27 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

Most drops aren't that much different other than mistakes are punished a bit more harshly (i.e. dooh I knew I shouldn't have peeked). You still drop with tiers 1-3 and quite often it is the lower tiers. However once in awhile the queue loads with all tier 1. Then things tend to get interesting.

#28 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 06 February 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

You will be asking this from yourself alot:

"How the HELL these guys (your teammates) are even Tier 3?"

After seeing half of them fail to break 120 damage.

That can be explained by the better marksmanship and reflexes T1 players can exhibit. One must be careful on positioning in T1 matches because one wrong step and your mech can be insta-cored thanks to the massive amount of alphas being thrown around.

My fresh Adder once rounded a corner and bumped into a Splatwolf. Tried to run but was two-shot. Zero damage game right there. If I was playing in T3 or below, my Adder would have gotten away.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 February 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#29 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:28 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 February 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

That can be explained by the better marksmanship and reflexes T1 players can exhibit. One must be careful on positioning in T1 matches because one wrong step and your mech can be insta-cored thanks to the massive amount of alphas being thrown around.

My fresh Adder once rounded a corner and bumped into a Splatwolf. Tried to run but was two-shot. Zero damage game right there. If I was playing in T3 or below, my Adder would have gotten away.

100% true - 1 wrong sniping exposure when playing with the big boys and i'm wondering how the hell i went from fresh armour to yellow internals in that tiny mis-handled moment

gotta say though, when i first hit tier 2 6 weeks ago i was getting manhandled pretty hard and it kinda sucked the fun out of the game for a bit. but i kept grinding and adjusting and i'm shocked at how much tighter my game is now - i just might hit tier 1 by spring

Edited by JagdFlanker, 06 February 2016 - 08:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users