My Pilot Type

13 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

I can tell that i will be a competant missile boat pilot. even as a cadet i am getting kills or alot of damage and kill assist with pults. I may never be a good light pilot but i can hold my own with missiles.

#2 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

Given you've posted this in the 'New Play Help' subforum, one can assume that you are looking for help.

However, you have asked no questions, so it is impossible to tell what kind of help you are looking for. Can you please clarify?

What is your question and what are you looking for advice on?

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:27 PM

I am assuming you mean LRMs if you mean SRMs ignore the rest of this post.

LRMs are great starting out but you do need to try to get used to the direct fire weapons, because as you get better LRMs get a lot harder to use effectively.

Against more experienced players LRMs are not very effective on most maps, that is probably the most common complaint about Polar Highlands, that there is almost no cover which can stop LRMs
if your whole team were to take AMS missiles (of any kind except SRMS fired point blank) would be completely useless, if your team has enough ECM LRMs and SSRMs are hard to use
ECM makes it harder to get locks, hence LRMs are harder to use if the enemy team is protected by LRMs
most maps have plenty of tall cover, the type you can hide behind and be pretty sure LRMs cannot hit you.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 06 February 2016 - 01:29 PM.

#4 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:39 PM

the biggest problem i have is lasting a long enough time against the more experienced pilots. I always seem to be one of the first ones to be killed. I think at this point all i need is time to learn. Not sure how else i will get good except to mix it up in the matches. Is there any way you guys can think of on how to last longer against the more experienced guys?

#5 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

Torso twisting is the best way to spread damage and last longer. Works best when you have a shield side , which means an arm and side torso that you face toward your oponent when you are not shooting at him. This shield side generally has no weapons in it. Even after it is blown away it slows damage intake because of the damage transfer mechanics in game. Very few mechs can simply stare and fight, those mechs tend to be big and use multiple AC weapons to shake the cockpit.

Timberwolf champion has a shield side, as does the Griffen hero quarantine, and most of the Hunchback mechs. Quite a few other mechs can be built in this way. Torso twisting is a valuable skill to learn

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Map knowledge, placement and teamwork.

As a missile mech, you fire nice little streamers showing your location to the enemy. In order to survive against a wise foe, know that they will be moving to flank your team and hit you. The best way to avoid this fate is not to be on the flank but amongst your team. Always be able to place your team between you and your foe.

~Leone.

#7 Moarginplz

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

LRM users get a lot of crap, people say that there's no skill involved, but to do it properly does take skill. The skills you learn are positioning, and target selection/prioritization. LRM's are not very effective against lights, so don't waste your ammo on them unless there's nothing bigger to shoot at. I generally start with big ECM mechs (DDC, hellbringer, etc.) if I can get a lock, and then move on to things that are easy for me to hit and could really hurt my teammates: jaegermechs, timberwolves, cataphracts, direwolves; mostly heavies or assaults. After that, I worry about mediums, then lights.

Like Leone said, you want to move with your team, and keep them between you and the enemy. You should be behind them, but not 400 meters behind them. I spend a lot of time running commandos, and there's nothing easier to kill with a commando than a lone missile boat. If you're alone, the light pilots will find you and you'll get rekt.

{edit: clarification]

Edited by Moarginplz, 06 February 2016 - 03:27 PM.

#8 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

LRMs are easy at first.

Anybody that tells you you cant LRM at higher tiers is simply a poor LRM user (Sorry, but the truth hurts).

But what is true, is that it is MUCH harder. You will not get away being a 2 button hero that simply pushes R and hold down the fire button.

New LRM pilots tend to target fixate more than anybody in this game.
Through luck or the lack of skill of your opponents that may work at first but it wont work at higher tiers.

You really need to understand your load out, optimize your FCGs (macros can help here a lot), understand the maps very well, be very conscious of EVERYONEs position in the match etc etc.
While these are generally good skills to have no matter what you are using, they are paramount for lrm boats.

A half way oblivious peek-a-boo warrior with lasers and cannons can still do ok at higher tiers. But not the lurmers

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:06 AM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 06 February 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

the biggest problem i have is lasting a long enough time against the more experienced pilots. I always seem to be one of the first ones to be killed. I think at this point all i need is time to learn. Not sure how else i will get good except to mix it up in the matches. Is there any way you guys can think of on how to last longer against the more experienced guys?

make sure you stick with the group, you want to be towards the rear of the formation but not more than 100m behind the nearest friendly, if a Light pilot finds an LRM boat off on its own that is a good day for the Light pilot and a very bad day for the LRM boat.

spread damage, what you want to do is fire then twist away, then when your weapons are ready again twist back fire and twist the other way (unless you want to sacrifice one side), this is less effective in an LRM boat than most other roles because you need to hold the lock for the flight time of the missiles, but moving at all makes you harder to hit so in a missile boat do not just stand still and shoot, twist slightly side to side and keep altering your speed if in sight of the enemy, if you want to survive longer whatever you do don't stand still looking at your target while firing because most other weapons are far better at precise damage than LRMs.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

View PostMoarginplz, on 06 February 2016 - 03:26 PM, said:

LRM's are not very effective against lights, so don't waste your ammo on them unless there's nothing bigger to shoot at.
{edit: clarification]

I disagree with this statement, but with a caveat. LRMs *can* be effective against lights, but you need to really, really know what you're doing with lrms. DO NOT fire a full alpha strike at a light. Instead, if you have lrm 5s, chain fire them on the lights. Otherwise, I agree, do not waste the ammo on the lights unless they are your only target and really, really new.

Otherwise, look for slow moving mechs and ECM mechs to lurm. Also, if a friendly pops a UAV target the mech(s) that have ECM first, unless they're moving around a lot. There really is quite an art to using lrms effectively.

See you on the battlefield.

#11 Ollorin

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

View Postmailin, on 07 February 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

I disagree with this statement, but with a caveat. LRMs *can* be effective against lights, but you need to really, really know what you're doing with lrms. DO NOT fire a full alpha strike at a light. Instead, if you have lrm 5s, chain fire them on the lights. Otherwise, I agree, do not waste the ammo on the lights unless they are your only target and really, really new.

Otherwise, look for slow moving mechs and ECM mechs to lurm. Also, if a friendly pops a UAV target the mech(s) that have ECM first, unless they're moving around a lot. There really is quite an art to using lrms effectively.

See you on the battlefield.

I second this. When a light target presents itself I'll chain fire my lrms and try to limit it to shorts bursts or 2-3 volleys. That way if I loose lock I'm not wasting anymore ammo than necessary. Unless I catch them out in the open, then I continue to chain fire until: A) They're dead. B) Run out of my range of interest (usually 300-500m) C) Come after me, at which time I switch to med lasers (HBK-4J, 2X lrm10, 4X Med Lasers is a winning combo). D) A more urgent target presents itself.

Also don't boat only LRMS, bring a backup weapon(s). I recommend energy weapons. A few medium lasers might not sound like much, but at the end of the match when your ammo is running low and the enemy is softened up, they do the job.

Group fire LRMS - Provides a bigger punch spread out across most of the targets mech. This is great for shaking up a target that your team mates are already engaging.

Chain fire LRMS - Not as big of a punch but the damage tends to be a bit more focused on the torso than with group fire. I like use chain fire when I'm more concerned about taking down a target than being disruptive.

#12 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:50 PM

had a match where i think i am beginning to turn a corner. was running a trainer pult bec its a different variant than what i have and even though it was lrm 20 x 2 and srm 6 x2 i did very decent damage and somehow managed to raise my psr at the same time. here is the screen shot

http://C:\Users\User\Pictures\decent damage.png

#13 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:54 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 10 February 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

had a match where i think i am beginning to turn a corner. was running a trainer pult bec its a different variant than what i have and even though it was lrm 20 x 2 and srm 6 x2 i did very decent damage and somehow managed to raise my psr at the same time. here is the screen shot

http://C:\Users\User\Pictures\decent damage.png

You can't upload a picture straight from your machine to the forums. You have to upload it onto a hosting site like imgur.com, and post it's link in here.

#14 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:05 PM

i spent many matches in a CLPT and the art of LRM is something to learn. If nothing else it will teach you to read the map and know were every one is. Total battlefield awareness is the key. that and not getting dead. always bring back up weapons. don't get left alone. always know were the nearest friendly is. learn to brawl. yes learn to brawl. light pilots hate when that silly LRM boat turns the tables and eats them for lunch, ok maybe not eat them for lunch but burns a few tons of armor off. with the advent of the personal ECM aka radar derp. getting a lock and holding a lock from shot to splash is getting a lot harder. lots of ECM out there. when a UAV goes up kill the ECM mechs first. LRMs on lights. yep slowly chain fire while keeping lock. don't over do it or you will waste all your ammo killing the ground. all you really want to do is get the light nervous about the incoming missile warning and box it in a bit so your other mechs can kill it when it makes a mistake. this and many many more things will make you in to the top 10% of LRM boats out there. one more thing when a team mate narcs a target unload hard on the target. same with TAGged targets light them up. BTW King Crabs hate LRMS with that HUGE topside. almost can't miss. be careful of friendly mechs close up to your targets it sucks to get a friendly kill just because that light was inside of 10m taking the legs out of a whale

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users