Venting

35 replies to this topic

#1 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

Okay I just lost 12 in a row. I don't mind losing, its just a streak thing. But how the teams have lost is just horrid. I say don't go in the middle on Mordor..they go in the middle on mordor and lose. Don't nascar on Caustic. The team goes nascar on caustic. Loss. I tell a lance not to go in the tunnel on frozen city and separate from the rest...they do that. Loss. I say defend in assault on polar, they attack, loss. Don't fight in the choke points on Viridian, they do, loss. Four mechs run off to cap on Canyon, the rest of the team does not. Loss.
Where do these teams come from? and why so many today? Its like I am in tier 5 hell.
The only bright spot has been playing mordor with a team that sorted out that the middle was death, we defended the base in assault and one. Thanks to you guys.
Done

#2 Wild Pegasus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

That's what happens when any game gets a sizeable increase in population in a short time. You get people who skip the tutorials because they want to play "the real game" and try to figure it out on the fly, people who don't care enough to learn because it's a free game so why bother, people who take any attempt to give guidance or advice as you being some bully telling them they're playing the game wrong and trying to take the controller away from them.

After a couple months those people get bored and migrate to the next free-to-play game that comes along though, and the people that actually wanted to play and get better will stick around.

#3 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

View Postcrashlogic, on 06 February 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

Where do these teams come from?

Posted Image

#4 Carcass23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

Maybe you should use reverse psychology? Tell them to attack on Assault, fight in the choke points on Viridian. Go to the center of Mordor and bring the ring.

Edited by Carcass23, 06 February 2016 - 01:41 PM.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

Don't try to win in pug games. That's your biggest issue. Jump on the group Q if you want to play to win. Pugs are for cbills,xp and wasting time.

#6 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

Stand behind them and whip them into battle? Maybe herd them with small lasers?

#7 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

Solo que is horrid, absolutely horrid. Group up to save your sanity.

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

You merely adopted the solo queue. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see a positive Win-Lose Ratio until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding!

#9 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:12 PM

Get gud and carry harder, Mt. Tryhard is steep.

Tired of nascar? Become the leader of the race. Tired of going middle? Be first in and last out, Tired of chokepoints, blow through them.

#pug4lyfe

#10 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:59 PM

I live in the pug queue. It's like being from the "streets".

Also, we will steal your leg pistons when you park your mech.

#11 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:33 PM

Okay I just lost 12 in a row. I don't mind losing, its just a streak thing. But how the teams have lost is just horrid. I say don't go in the middle on Mordor..they go in the middle on mordor and lose. Don't nascar on Caustic. The team goes nascar on caustic. Loss. I tell a lance not to go in the tunnel on frozen city and separate from the rest...they do that. Loss. I say defend in assault on polar, they attack, loss. Don't fight in the choke points on Viridian, they do, loss. Four mechs run off to cap on Canyon, the rest of the team does not. Loss.
Where do these teams come from? and why so many today? Its like I am in tier 5 hell.
The only bright spot has been playing mordor with a team that sorted out that the middle was death, we defended the base in assault and one. Thanks to you guys.
Done

What I think is hilarious is that half of your advice is bad or situational.

Don't go center in Terra Therma? They did and lost? Really, so what do you think the other team did? Guess what, they went center! Only they did so in a smarter fashion than your team did!

Don't Nascar on Caustic? So, what did the other team do? Odds are they did some Nascaring, too.

Defend on Assault on Polar? Defending in an assault match is usually a loss, but so is going about the attack stupidly.

Don't fight in the choke points in Viridian? Honestly, don't fight in the choke points anywhere, unless you're outnumbered and can use the choke to your advantage.

Four mechs ran off to cap on Canyon? Assault or Conquest? In assault, a properly timed cap can split the enemy team and leave your main force with a numbers advantage. In conquest, so long as they rejoin the fight after one cap, can be really awesome.

Defend the base in Therma assault, holy carp, that's your success story? That's ceding initiative to the other team, more often than not that's a loss.

Edited by Escef, 06 February 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#12 Whiplash!!!

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:27 PM

Yea, the Steam influx is really bad.

My worst round was at Frozen City. Told the team to group up at C3 and prepare for a push over the hill... two friendly mechs accompanied me. Amazing. The rest died in the "Death Bowl".

By the end of the round it was me vs. 4 enemy mechs: Cicada, Ebon, Vulture, King Crab. Me in my little BJ-3. I got 1017 damage in that round and 4 kills.

We won. But I was furious that my team had no idea what to do and where to go, and would not listen to suggestions. You cannot go to one spot and stand still and expect to win... it's that simple.

#13 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:00 PM

ZOMG... are you guys telling me we have to wait 2 years for the Steam crowd to mature in the game???

#14 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostEscef, on 06 February 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

What I think is hilarious is that half of your advice is bad or situational.

Don't go center in Terra Therma? They did and lost? Really, so what do you think the other team did? Guess what, they went center! Only they did so in a smarter fashion than your team did!

Don't Nascar on Caustic? So, what did the other team do? Odds are they did some Nascaring, too.

Defend on Assault on Polar? Defending in an assault match is usually a loss, but so is going about the attack stupidly.

Don't fight in the choke points in Viridian? Honestly, don't fight in the choke points anywhere, unless you're outnumbered and can use the choke to your advantage.

Four mechs ran off to cap on Canyon? Assault or Conquest? In assault, a properly timed cap can split the enemy team and leave your main force with a numbers advantage. In conquest, so long as they rejoin the fight after one cap, can be really awesome.

Defend the base in Therma assault, holy carp, that's your success story? That's ceding initiative to the other team, more often than not that's a loss.

All good in theory, but none of what you say actually happened. The other team did not go in the middle, my team got killed coming out to find their base (it was an assault game). Splitting a lance of to divide the team, works in theory. More often then not it results in a 12 on 8 followed by like a 9 on four, The tacitical defensive is a way to control the initiative and more often than not makes teams stay together while an attack is being fed in piecemeal (with scouts leading and assaults trailing). On a map like polar, with wide open terrian in much of the middle, odds favor a coordinated defense. At the very least the result will be a concentrated attack against a concentrated defense.
No the other team did not nascar, they picked a position and destroyed my team as the attack was fed into it.

#15 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

Posted Image

#16 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

Done

Imma gonna guess: Solo Pug.

#17 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

Don't feel bad, Crash. Last weekend, I went 7-43 with every game being 3 kills on my side or less minus 5 of them. In all but 8 of those games, I out damaged every Assault mech while I was driving my Cicada 3M which is NOT played as a "sniper douche" build.

#18 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

Eh, I'd love to know when the OP played those matches, just to see if it correlates with my own observations. Namely this, if you play the PUG queue during daytime ( say 1pm to 9pm ) on the weekends you get horrible, horrible teams. It's not that everyone is bad at what they do, it's that it feels like you are alone against 12 mechs and the rest of blue team is doing its own thing. All 11 of them separately.

The good matches ( with communications, support, etc ) for me seem to be happening much later ( around 12pm to 3 am EST ) and that really sucks.

Edited by ChapeL, 07 February 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#19 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:57 PM

I grind new mechs in PUGs. Sometimes, I'll just play PUGs if my unit isn't active...............but with no high hopes of dominating the matches.

Take the losses and rinse, wash, repeat.Play to hold up your end of the team and make a good showing.

Make some Space Bucks. Posted Image

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:02 PM

You get people who skip the tutorials because they want to play "the real game" and try to figure it out on the fly,

most steam people probably did play the tutorial. you get a lot of cbills for it.

but the tutorial doesnt teach teamwork. it just teaches like how to go forward and backward and how to make your torso point a different direction from your feet.

theres no object lessons on deathballing and nascaring in the tutorial. if the tutorial taught people to always stay grouped up, dont play slow mechs, and always take the biggest engine possible I bet you the quality of new players would improve.

Edited by Khobai, 07 February 2016 - 01:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users