The Ability To Buy Chassis Is/clan Without Equipment?

Store Social

19 replies to this topic

#1 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

Most likely has been discussed before. But wouldn't this solve many issues pertaining to how the game feels with grind? More appealing to new players & vets? Thoughts?

#2 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

Being able to buy stripped chassis would be interesting.

#3 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostKing Alen, on 06 February 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

I have no need for this, and I can't think of a reason I would ever want this.

Every player I know would enjoy this feature. Makes grinding for assault mechs much less of a hassle if your going for master or elite.

#4 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Not sure how I feel about this, but could be interesting later. The whole point to the mechs is you're buying the variant, which come pre-equipped/assembled from a manufacturing line. They're making full mechs, not just the chassis. However, a 'junkyard/scrapyard' option for mercs/freelancers later on which give you a 'random', stripped mech chassis of that weight class would be interesting.

#5 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:14 PM

This should be allowed. If we look at buying a mech (which is a really big and expensive purchase) it would be the same as having a house built -- and you can pretty much decide whatever you want when building a house, including having the builder stop at the drywall stage.

#6 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 06 February 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

This should be allowed. If we look at buying a mech (which is a really big and expensive purchase) it would be the same as having a house built -- and you can pretty much decide whatever you want when building a house, including having the builder stop at the drywall stage.

That's essentially the way I was looking at it.

#7 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:00 PM

INB4 newbies go to buy their first mech, see an Atlas or a Direwolf at reduced cost, and buy a stripped mech with their life savings and now have to grind for another 20 games in trial mechs to buy and engine.

#8 Intrepid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

If we look at buying a mech (which is a really big and expensive purchase) it would be the same as having a house built -- and you can pretty much decide whatever you want when building a house, including having the builder stop at the drywall stage.

Except mechs are far closer to cars than houses and good luck purchasing a base car chassis.

#9 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

View PostIntrepid, on 06 February 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

Except mechs are far closer to cars than houses and good luck purchasing a base car chassis.

Actually in the VERY high end car market you can pretty much get what you want. When you are paying 250K+ for a car they are very accommodating -- or so I've been told.

Edited by nehebkau, 06 February 2016 - 06:05 PM.

#10 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:42 PM

Been playing since beta, and this topic has come up probably hundreds of times now.

I don't think PGI is interested in changing the formula.

#11 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

It would also be great if you could purchase a mech with the equipment you want in it. Like buying a Locust with its XL engine and weapons you want it to have. Pretty much a custom order.

#12 Johnny Gorbachev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

That would provide too much value for the consumer, Pirahna isn't one to do that.

#13 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

I'd rather have a salvage system in place where you could salvage enemy mechs, and refurbish them instead.

#14 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

If this place is going to be a community, player driven markets would be a great feature.

Discounts on faction specific 'Mechs for loyalty units
Discounts for Merc units under their employ
Possibility of selling pre-configured mechs (paint schemes, weapon loadouts etc)

IMO PGI needs to look closer at how they're planning to make money and fund this game, many (most?) online MMOs rely on microtransactions, I would think PGI would be doing more charging MC for smaller, cool, easily implemented features then trying to count on a few hundred people spending $50-$100 on Mech packs every few months.

#15 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostRagingdemon, on 06 February 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Most likely has been discussed before. But wouldn't this solve many issues pertaining to how the game feels with grind? More appealing to new players & vets? Thoughts?

I have a better way to avoid the grind in games. I stop playing. After all, if I'm enjoying the game it's not a grind.

As for buying chassis, I don't like it. Seems like removing another piece of BT for very little reason, and removes the chance of players finding a mech they like even if it is stock (DHS sold separately).

#16 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

talked about it before its not going to happen

#17 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

View PostWolfways, on 06 February 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

I have a better way to avoid the grind in games. I stop playing. After all, if I'm enjoying the game it's not a grind.

That's a pretty effective method, I stopped playing for a year when it got stale, when I find all I'm thinking about is the money I need for things in game I take a break. When I'm having fun, playing with some friends, or trying out some tactics I'll take a look over at my cbills and find I'm a millionaire.

View PostWolfways, on 06 February 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

As for buying chassis, I don't like it. Seems like removing another piece of BT for very little reason, and removes the chance of players finding a mech they like even if it is stock (DHS sold separately).

I would assume that someone who had the ability to purchase a mech would also be able to have had it custom built like some of the characters of lore.

I don't see why it would remove the chance of a player finding a mech they like in stock form, they could still buy a stock mech, but they just gain the ability to custom order one.

#18 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:41 PM

Honestly, given the amount of parts I end up from stripped old chassis and the like, I'd have zero problems with a "DIY" purchasable version.

Especially when I'm leveling chassis I just intend to transplant engines, weapons, etc. from a previously mastered one.

#19 Johnny Gorbachev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:08 PM

View Postwanderer, on 06 February 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

Honestly, given the amount of parts I end up from stripped old chassis and the like, I'd have zero problems with a "DIY" purchasable version.

Especially when I'm leveling chassis I just intend to transplant engines, weapons, etc. from a previously mastered one.

That was intentionally made to give you garbage when you buy a mech, to create the illusion of value. That way they can charge terrible prices for mechs because they can say "oh, half the price is the ****** engine you get, if new players didnt get the engine they might get confused".

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

you can go to the store and view a chassis you dont own in the mech lab. i dont see why you cant just add the price of the mech to the price of hitting save, plus or minus any changes. if a mechbay is needed add 300mc to the price tag. the framework is already there you just need a bit of code to connect the dots. if you want to hit strip before you buy you can. you also dont have to pay for equipment you already own. as somone who owns over 30 spare engines and at least a dozen gauss rifles, i would love to be able to not have to buy more of those.

Edited by LordNothing, 06 February 2016 - 08:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users