Ctf-4X Can It Be Improved For Me?

9 replies to this topic

#1 XTerranite

• Pip
  • The Grizzly
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

So hey I like the CTF-4X a lot because who doesn't love the sound of 4x ac5/2's firing off on a bass system, however without question this mech is extremely unreliable for me. If I am the focus I am going down with a quickness and all that firepower is going to amount to the 200 damage I can spring on w/e is handy before I drop. And I am talking first contact here.

Now granted I have only been on MWO a couple months now so this might be just hot air here, I think I have the CTF-4X to a much more comfortable (reliable) place, and I would like to know what some more experienced players might think concerning it. Perhaps help tweak it some so I can get even more from it.

I ran it a few times and it seems to be performing very well thus far. I have extremely limited exp in versatile builds though. And that was the aim here; To add some.

As far as I know this link is supposed to bring you to my current mech.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e34fa5953355f59

Machine guns are weapon grouped, small lasers are grouped, the rest is manual (alone in a group)

#2 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:43 AM

Well...Your build...

Streaks are bad, MGs are bad, CASE without ammo in the STs is useless and you really don't need those extra heatsinks.

I have never used the 4X, but I would suggest you try something like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...11df14940edcb01

You can remove some ammo/armor, downgrade the engine to add some lasers.You can also downgrade 2 AC5s to AC2s if you don't want to use an XL engine.

But I would really suggest you to get another mech.Cataphract used to be glorious back in 2013, but now it's outdated.

#3 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:08 AM

I dont drive catapracts, but this build might interest you

group 1 AC10 on mouse 1, the other on one Mouse 2, and the srm, MG, and Smpls and 3

Its a bit slow tho,

the best thing you can do is buy a 6 uac5 direwolf

oop and heres the build:

CTF-4X

Edited by Windscape, 07 February 2016 - 04:08 AM.

#4 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:08 AM

View PostWindscape, on 07 February 2016 - 04:07 AM, said:

I dont drive catapracts, but this build might interest you

group 1 AC10 on mouse 1, the other on one Mouse 2, and the srm, MG, and Smpls and 3

Its a bit slow tho,

the best thing you can do is buy a 6 uac5 direwolf

oop and heres the build:CTF-4X

Direwolf is expensive and slow.Better get a Timberwolf. It's fast, well armored and has lots of guns.

#5 TAKTCOM

• 1,568 posts
  • LocationRussia, Rostov-on-Don

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:23 AM

View PostXTerranite, on 06 February 2016 - 05:47 PM, said:

As far as I know this link is supposed to bring you to my current mech.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e34fa5953355f59

Change smol lasers for flamers and people see that you just trolling them. As GonaDie say, MG, streaks, 2 HTS and CASE is waste. I will go far and say that smol lasers and UAC5 unnecessary since 4X don't have jaming reduction quirks and 2 smol lasers...well 6 damage from 100 meters? Seriously?
4X is all about ballistics. This mean than what you non ballistics weapon must be very modest and thoughtful. Or not at all.
So you may use 4X with
- 4 AC5:
- 2 AC 10
You can use 2 med lasers as reserve weapon in both variants. Or even large laser with AC10 x2.
Also you can try double Gauss but i not recommend - too little ammunition.
You make found more here

View PostXTerranite, on 06 February 2016 - 05:47 PM, said:

So hey I like the CTF-4X a lot because who doesn't love the sound of 4x ac5/2's firing off on a bass system, however without question this mech is extremely unreliable for me. If I am the focus I am going down with a quickness and all that firepower is going to amount to the 200 damage I can spring on w/e is handy before I drop. And I am talking first contact here.

If you use standart 4 AC5 build, problrm not in 4X. I was same problem, to stop a useless deaths, it is necessary to reconsider you own actions. Obvious things to do - move in the group, not to go forward alone to the crowd of enemies and etc and etc.

Edited by TAKTCOM, 07 February 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#6 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostGonaDie, on 07 February 2016 - 04:08 AM, said:

Direwolf is expensive and slow.Better get a Timberwolf. It's fast, well armored and has lots of guns.

I guess for the new player the timberwolf would be a better choice, but with patience and consistency you can drive the direwolf well. Main problem with the timber IMO is that it has limited slots, with limited slots, id consider and Ebon Jag, but then you'd sacrifice some protection. If the Direwolf moves to slow for your tastes, you can grab a Kingcrab, which twists nearly twice as far and noticeably faster.

#7 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

As GonaDie said, the build may be your problem. When I get a chance to I'll check what my 4X build is and post it here. If you still don't like it I'd recommend getting the 3D, which is, in my opinion, a better variant.

#8 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:05 PM

I could never get much performance out of my 4x.

But here's some tips anyway:

Your a bullet magnet like an assault mech, but without the extra armour or firepower, so stand with your assaults so they will share hits and focus fire together.
Don't crest hills unless you know whats waiting on the other side. The Cataphract is like a gorilla firing from the hip so your going to have a bad time if you have to shoot over crests.

IIRC 2x gauss or 4x ac2 worked for me since you can keep some distance.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:36 AM

first thing first, medium lasers in the ct. replace the streak with an srm4. id actually loose the ultra and run a second ac10. its a few tons heavier but you make it up with the ac10 ammo economy. CTF-4X

of course if it was my mech i would probibly do this instead. i dont buy a ballistic carrier unless i plan on going to town with it.

incidently this is my cft-im. i have never managed to run out with a hundred ac10 rounds. sure you run out in 33 salvos, but 4 salvos can kill a dire.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 February 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#10 XTerranite

• Pip
  • The Grizzly
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:42 AM

awesome, thanks for all the tips guys. Very helpful! Somebody should close the topic as solved or w/e.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users