Shd Almost Elited, What Next?

11 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:55 AM

So i'm almost done with evrything on my shawks, just need the last module slot.

http://i.imgur.com/6pa1GS9.jpg

So now i'm wondering what to do next.
I bought the shawks in back in 2014 when they were considered the best medium mech, but now evrything is shifting more the "Blaargh i'm firing my lazors" range.

What mech would you suggest? Prefferably Medium-Heavy Range. Might possibly consider a light.

Edited by DoubleFlip, 07 February 2016 - 06:22 AM.

#2 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:27 AM

So I take it "FIRE ALL LAZORS" is what you do not want to do? Or the opposite? Posted Image

If you don't want to go laser boat, might I suggest a Wolverine? Lorewise a similar 55-tonner jack-of-all-trades workhorse with mixed hardpoints, although compared to the Shadow Hawk the focus tends to be in shorter range as many builds running lots of SRM's.

If you do want to go laser boat, look no further than the Blackjack, with up to 8 lasers in high hardpoints. The original BJ-1 variant with 2xAC2's and 4xML offers something different and is a fun "Mini-Jaeger". But with BJ's bear in mind they're about to get nerfed hard (reduction of structure and energy range quirks). They'll still be good though.

#3 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:52 AM

About to get nerfed? :l.

I don't mind using lasers btw, but it just seems to be the new trend lately. Been hitting hard on my poor squishy and tall shawk.
Would kill for a less taller and less clumsy shawk.

#4 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:02 AM

Sounds like you might might enjoy the Wolverine. They can run many similar loadouts as Shadow Hawks, but are more compact and definitely more agile. I'm not sure what it is about Shadow Hawks that make them feel like freight trucks.

I enjoy Wolverine builds like WVR-6R a lot. It's "superstock" and keeps all original weapons, but upgrading to "3050 spec" with XL engine and Endosteel allows the addition of two more SRM6 launchers for a vicious short-range punch. It's like a short and ugly street-fighter cousin of the Shadow Hawk.

Blackjacks -- they won't be nerfed too bad. In a recent balance pass they kind of messed them up, by giving them as much internal structure as an assault mech. Yet they are the size of a small medium and tough to hit, and it got a bit ridiculous. Also they have +20 or 25% energy range quirks, which sort of become a problem when people load them up with ERLL's. So they are dialing back those structure and energy range quirks to somewhat smaller values, but they'll still be good mechs.

#5 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

I'd recommend the Griffin over the Wolverine but it plays a similar role. All the Griffin variants are jump jet capable mechs blending a mix of lasers and missiles (Sparky, the Griffin hero is the exception being a laser boat). You also have access to a ECM variant (2N) which is a great little brawler. Now on the other hand most Wolverines get mobility quirks which makes them more agile.

If you're looking for something else than the others that come to mind are the Hunchbacks and the Cenutrions. Both of these are classics and they've stood up to the test of time being some of the first mechs released in MWO. Each Hunchback is a bit more specialized but the variants switch it up quite a bit. The Cents a bit more homogenous and favor some more all purpose hard points but they're also great fun.

#6 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:24 AM

Hunchie! Want Dakka? there's a hunch for that. Want Laser Bulimia? There's a hunch for that. Want SRM hit and run fury? There's a hunch for that. Want to bring forth lurmaggedon? There's a hunch for that. This is why hunchback is always the mech I recommend new players pick up.

#7 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

Thunderbolts are fairly affordable laser vomit.

#8 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

Depends, and this is usually what I ask first in these threads - are you willing to use clan mechs?

#9 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:09 PM

View PostFreebirthToad18999, on 07 February 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

Depends, and this is usually what I ask first in these threads - are you willing to use clan mechs?

Good question... i've mainly played IS mechs besides in faction war and those matches aren't really a good reference...
I might, suggest away Posted Image

Also, thanks for all the suggestions up till now.

Edited by DoubleFlip, 07 February 2016 - 11:10 PM.

#10 Kshat

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:37 AM

Pls don't underestimate the poor lil Enforcer. If you want to use missiles, you're better off with Griffins or those ugly Wolverines.
But if you enjoy Energyweapons with a varying amount of Dakka by it's side, Enforcers are fun.
They got neat hitboxes, the quirks are on the medium to good side (no really ludicrous quirks, therefore not bound to get nerfed), pretty XL-friendly, mostly Jumpcapable... and even the one major downside - no high weapon mounts - isn't that hard to overcome with the mobility these guys have.
And: there are pretty solid builds with a STD reactor possible.

#11 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:24 AM

View PostKshat, on 08 February 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

Pls don't underestimate the poor lil Enforcer. If you want to use missiles, you're better off with Griffins or those ugly Wolverines. But if you enjoy Energyweapons with a varying amount of Dakka by it's side, Enforcers are fun. They got neat hitboxes, the quirks are on the medium to good side (no really ludicrous quirks, therefore not bound to get nerfed), pretty XL-friendly, mostly Jumpcapable... and even the one major downside - no high weapon mounts - isn't that hard to overcome with the mobility these guys have. And: there are pretty solid builds with a STD reactor possible.

I do like my high weapon mounts, easy to hide my center torso and if my arms get blow off, If my RT or LT blows up i'm dead anyways since i roll XL engines mostly.

The blackjack is nice, less tonnage but higher speed and lower profile, but if it gets nerfed to bits, i'm going to regret buying it. So i hope they don't nerf it too hard.
HBK's looks nice, alot of versatility. Lack of jj's and low speed are the main drawbacks here. Possibly also the RT focus.
Wolverine/Thunderbolt and enforcer look quite bulky to me and easy to hit.
Centurion is also nice, just the lack of jj's.
Griffin - low mounted hardpoints, probaly forcing closer range builds. I like to keep some distance to avoid being focused.

So out of the current suggestions, currently the centurion, blackjack and the HBK have the lead.

Edited by DoubleFlip, 09 February 2016 - 03:45 AM.

#12 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

The Centurions are some of my all time favorites. Of the Cents, I do best in the AL. 2 LL, 2 ML, 2 SRM6. Only downside to my Cent is the XL 245 engine, but it works for me most games. You can also run the 9A with an AC5, 2 ML, 3 SRM4s and a STD 225 (moves at 78kph with speed tweak). Fun mech with a decent punch.

The Cent 9D is a weird beast, IMO. It is predicated around an XL engine, which is not as big a problem for me as for others, but to get the most from a 9D, you need to run a large XL in it for the speed. The large XLs limit the weight available for weapons, which makes it hard to find a build that works well. At least for me. Some people have success with a SRM build and no ballistics, but I do not like my Cents without an AC. It is also the most expensive Cent in the store, but that is somewhat off-set by the fact that it comes with an XL300 engine, DHS and Endo installed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users