Mod Question

9 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:48 AM

ok i did a mod of my first time and modded a griffin 3m i had bought and it seems to be working decently. basically what i did is added FF and swapped the small for a med. However my question is even though i have hardpoints of enbergy and a spare slot i cant add a new weapon to that empty slot. why is that?

#2 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:59 AM

If you changed the torso energy from small to medium laser all of your energy hardpoints should be full. The 3M has only two energy hardpoints.

Also as an advice you should always buy endo-steel first. it gives you more tonnage and after, if you don't need the slots upgrade to ferro fibrous. Ferro fibrous armor doesn't give you better armor, only lighter armor per point.

Here's a version of the GRF-3M with almost full armor, Endo and an extra ton of LRM ammo.

#3 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:05 AM

1. Adding Endo is way better than adding Ferro, since it saves quite a bit more weight.
Ferro increases the number of armor "points" you get per ton by 12%, so your Griffin gains a bit more than 1 ton of standard armor worth of armor points, while Endo saves half the weight of your internal structure (basically, the skeleton of your mech), which is 10% of total weight for standard which translates to a saving of 2.25 tons on your Griffin with Endo

2. You not only need a slot to put a gun there, you also need the free weight (your Griffin is a 55 ton mech, so it can´t weigh more than 55 tons
You can play around over at Smurphy´s at http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ (go to the Mech-Lab and then select the mech you want to play around with.

Here is your Griffin 3M already selected with the stock load-out
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=128&l=stock

P.s.: In case you are wondering why you wouldn´t want both, well, Endo and Ferro each take over 14 slots in your mech and using both limits your ability to put other stuff on by _quite_ a bit (you can see on that link above that stock, your Griffin has 18 free slots, so if you put in Endo (or Ferro), you only have 4 free slots left and _can´t_ actually put both on).
Usually, only lights (who don´t have a lot of weight for weapons and stuff, so don´t need a lot of slots anyway) use Ferro.

Edit: InsaneRotta is correct (yeah, I didn´t check the hard-points on the 3M), you don´t actually have a free energy slot. Still, all of the above applies.

Edited by Antecursor Venatus, 07 February 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#4 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:10 AM

with the spare half ton i ended up getting a extra half ton of ammo since with one ton i was running out way to quickly.

#5 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:31 PM

bought a pult and added endo like you guys suggested, yeah the billfold screamed murder there but it was worth spending the c-bills. changed the small lasers for med pulse and also could add ff as well. that move alone has saved my hide and given my opponents some nasty surprises. ie a KC who had some how snuck up on me and while he killed my mech i stripped the armor from his CT and did some internals as well. Also a cicada who had snuck up behind me and he forgot terrain and i was able to get in his face with 2 med pulse and rip him open. between me and a friendly locust he lasted a short time. his final mistake was overheating at a critical moment.

#6 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:38 PM

Just so you know, Catapults take XL engines extremely well.

#7 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:13 AM

I knoiw but i have noticed that my opponents seem to think that as well and concentrate on a torso in the hopes of knocking me out. since i seem to keep moving it puts them off and allows me to do more damage.

#8 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:20 AM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 07 February 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

bought a pult and added endo like you guys suggested, yeah the billfold screamed murder there but it was worth spending the c-bills. changed the small lasers for med pulse and also could add ff as well. that move alone has saved my hide and given my opponents some nasty surprises. ie a KC who had some how snuck up on me and while he killed my mech i stripped the armor from his CT and did some internals as well. Also a cicada who had snuck up behind me and he forgot terrain and i was able to get in his face with 2 med pulse and rip him open. between me and a friendly locust he lasted a short time. his final mistake was overheating at a critical moment.

Glad we could help you up your performance. :)

#9 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:08 PM

BTW i took a cicada downb in my last match using a pults srm packs. he kept making straight line charges and i made him pay for it.

#10 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:40 AM

@Douglass - yes, use your close game surprises and abuse your opponents... :) People often (well, don't know about higher tiers) tend to assume a stereotype build/use for certain mechs... like Catapults "always" run long range and "never" have anything serious up close. Heh heh, surprise!

I tend toward brawling and otherwise short/medium builds.. and often take non-traditional builds turning longer range mechs into much punchier short rangers. It really can mess with people and how they approach you (for example your cicada example)

So, keep enjoying the non-meta and success on the field!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users