Arm Lock Option Per Mech

5 replies to this topic

#1 Negative547

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:58 PM

Arm lock has great usefulness for some mechs and absolutely none for others. When bouncing back and forth between using these mechs, I find switching this option as an overall game option is somewhat of a poor approach. This would be incredibly more helpful if the option was available in the mech loadout - maybe in the weapon grouping screen? This way you could preemptively select if you want to have arm lock associated with that mech or not.

#2 IshanDeston

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

You can already keybind a key to "toggle" armlock. Personally i removed the armlock in the option and toggle it on as needed.

#3 Negative547

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:49 PM

Yes, I completely understand that the toggle button can be used. However, I'm not going to hold that key down the entire match if my overall setting is armlock off and this mech benefits from armlock being on (all weapons in torso). While it would technically work, it's just as much of a pain.

Just as an additional note. The toggle itself has a lot of good merit by itself and by no means am I saying that should be removed or replaced. I'm just speaking to what the default setting would be per mech. If I want to toggle armlock on or off afterwards then great.

#4 Khosumi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 136 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

View PostNegative547, on 08 February 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

Yes, I completely understand that the toggle button can be used. However, I'm not going to hold that key down the entire match if my overall setting is armlock off and this mech benefits from armlock being on (all weapons in torso). While it would technically work, it's just as much of a pain.

I don't think you understand.
A toggle is 1 press and it stays like that, it's not a held function. Press Shift and the arms are unlocked. What you are asking for is redundant and worthless.

#5 Lunatyr

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:38 PM

Frankly this idea seems like an even bigger hassle than the current way to switch arm lock. I understand you want to have individual arm locking for each 'mech but it's impractical and adds nothing to the game mechanics.

I find that you'd have an even easier time simply switching your arm lock mid-game, as is the option on the first screen you select for settings in your menu.

Edited by Kironisky, 08 February 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#6 Negative547

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

View PostEthak, on 08 February 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

I don't think you understand.
A toggle is 1 press and it stays like that, it's not a held function. Press Shift and the arms are unlocked. What you are asking for is redundant and worthless.

I must be using something different keybind then as mine requires me to hold the button down to disable/enable the arm lock. I'll look into that.

I'm looking at this like weapon grouping. It's more about expectation prior to a match start. While you can set your weapon grouping in game, I'd assume that 99% of people do this in the MechLab so it's set when they drop. Is this considered redundant and worthless as well? No. The point is - setting everything up in the MechLab first means that it's done and taken care of. One less thing to tinker with at the start of a game - you know when you should be focusing on strategy and positioning. We can disagree, but this doesn't sound worthless to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users