39 replies to this topic

#1 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:33 AM

So, the announcement of the Kodiak 'Totem Mech' has me thinking, what other totem mechs could PGI have planned? Here's a list of what we could expect:

CLAN WOLF
  • We already have the Gargoyle and Timber Wolf, and with era restricted to the Clan Invasion there aren't too many options (several very cool totem mech designs out of Clan Wolf, but at later dates). One possibility is we could see the Naga - this is a longshot, however, as its addition also means introducing Arrow IV Missiles, requiring PGI to not only design a mech but also a whole new weapon system / game mechanic.
  • Another Possibility is the Woodsman. Although this design largely became deprecated after the success of the Timber Wolf, it still has the value of a historic mech, and it performs consistently, like its successor.
  • Final options include the Linebacker & Pouncer. Odds are low with the latter, as many people on forums have made clear they don't want a heavier Adder, but the Linebacker may have a chance.

CLAN JADE FALCON
  • First and probably most popular choice would be the Turkina. This is sure to be a prized mech for any Clan fanboy.
  • The Night Gyr is also a great option, providing us Clanners with an alternative 75-ton omnimech option with some serious direct-fire power. (In case you didn't notice, people are already playing the Timber Wolf like a Night Gyr!!!)
  • Then there is the Black Lanner, a 55-ton omnimech that could become a solid alternative to the Stormcrow. Having more omnimech options for every weight class is a sure plus.
  • Lastly, there is the Fire Falcon. Although only 25 tons, it can carry a nice mix of weapons and equipment. Akin to a lighter Raven, minus option for ECM.

CLAN GHOST BEAR
  • Obviously we already have the Kodiak. I think it's an understatement to say that people are absolutely stoked!
  • If they decide to do more than one totem mech per Clan, a nice 2nd option would be the Grizzly. Though there's nothing special about this mech, it is a definitive totem mech of Ghost Bear.
  • There aren't really any other totem mechs for the Bears within this time period. Ghost Bear does use the Stooping Hawk a lot, and that's a 55-tonner w/ jump jets, but probably a stretch (yes, I like my 55-ton mechs).

CLAN SMOKE JAGUAR
  • Finally, what I've been waiting for. The huge implication of announcing a Totem Mech line - STONE RHINO. I don't think we need any more introduction than that, but if you're not familiar with it look it up on Sarna.net. It's basically the definitive Totem mech option for the Jags.
  • If that doesn't float PGI's boat (pfft, yea right), the only other options I can think of are the Peregrine and the Great Wurm... well, a 15-ton lighter Dragon might appeal to some players I guess? There just aren't any better options than that, we've already got the Cauldron-Born after all.

That's it for the list. If anybody else has options I may have missed, post and I'll update the list. Otherwise, lets get some feedback on what you guys would like to see most!

#2 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:44 AM

Yeah unfortunately there really isn't that many totem mechs available in the early 3050s. In fact non of the wolf mechs you mentioned are even totem mechs :) But to be fair we have had an omni totem mech available to us for like a year now so....

#3 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:57 AM

Some of the Mechs listed in the OP are not Totem Mechs.

Only Totem Mechs of this time period are:

Jade Falcon
Black Lanner
Turkina

Ghost Bear
Grizzly
Kodiak - coming

Smoke Jaguar
Ebon Jaguar - in game

Nova Cat
Shadow Cat - in game

Draconis Combine
Hatamoto-Chi

#4 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

I do not understand how the Black Lanner and Turkina are considered "Totem 'Mechs" but the Night Gyr and Fire Falcon are not. I guess that is a question for the writer of the sarna.net page and/or the authors of the source material.

That said, Fire Falcons, Black Lanners, Night Gyrs, and Turkinas were all in the original "Jade Falcon Sourcebook" as part of the Turkina Keshik TO&E. The "publish date" of that book is 3053, slightly after Tukayidd, so those OmniMechs could be added to MWO with few timeline issues.

#5 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

I really would like the shrike and the jade hawk though they aint coming for a LONG time and they're pretty under armed for their size. Look neat though.

#6 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

They could do Timber Wolf Mark II as a totem mech for clan wolf....., its the mech that the clan used after retiring the Timber Wolf and it would be the only totem mech that clan wolf had near this time period, it's LRM's are slanted more upward and it's a pretty good mech in MW4

they could have Turkina though, it went into production in 3052

Edited by Czarr, 08 February 2016 - 09:42 PM.

#7 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

The Mad Cat Mk2 was made by Clan Diamond Shark to sell to the Inner Sphere. Even though they tried to sell them to the Wolves they did not want them.

#8 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

I think a while not necessarily a totem mech, a mech that you will find very often in the ghost bear touman is the Viper. 45 tons of speed and firepower. Its basically a cicada with jump jets. Also another Ghost bear make to consider in the future is the Karhu.

Edited by Ragnar Baron Leiningen, 09 February 2016 - 06:15 AM.

#9 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:29 AM

Not often alluded to, but if memory serves, the Horned Owl / Peregrine was very much a Ghost Bear design.

I'd like the Falcons to get access to the Hellhound. No, not the Mechwarrior 4 one that I have absolutely no idea why they couldn't have just given it a different name and called it a Fasa-studios designed mech, like with the Hellspawn, Argus, Thanatos, and Mad Cat Mk. II. The humanoid one that many have described to be like "A Wolverine IIC". Also, the Baboon is just so out there in left field that it could be a neat little mech to see the Falcons using to pad their forces with. Don't think it would be the friend of a power-gamer, though. Would be interesting to see them get the Kraken, too. I've already seen what Dire Wolves with lots of UAC2s can do. Suddenly, Ten AC2s? Maybe more? That would be quite the sight.

The Wolves do have a few designs under their belt that, while not the totems that one might expect, certainly fit. The Galahad is a common Wolf garrison mech that I'm pretty sure MWO would love, especially since it's pretty much the Jager-Gauss, straight out of the box.

#10 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostRepasy, on 08 February 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

So, the announcement of the Kodiak 'Totem Mech' has me thinking, what other totem mechs could PGI have planned? Here's a list of what we could expect:

There is a lot of confusion (even by Sarna and the BT authors) of what are Totem Mechs. Some mechs in the OP are more "signature" mechs, than proper "totems".

Here is a list of Totem mechs in Sarna. (I think it makes more sense if the Totem Mech represent aesthetically the Clan/House)

Anyway, which Totem would come next, if any? I really hope it is the Black Lanner, because there are lots of great Clan medium omnimechs available in the timeline.

#11 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostR79TCom1 Night Lanner, on 08 February 2016 - 04:21 PM, said:

I do not understand how the Black Lanner and Turkina are considered "Totem 'Mechs" but the Night Gyr and Fire Falcon are not. I guess that is a question for the writer of the sarna.net page and/or the authors of the source material.

That said, Fire Falcons, Black Lanners, Night Gyrs, and Turkinas were all in the original "Jade Falcon Sourcebook" as part of the Turkina Keshik TO&E. The "publish date" of that book is 3053, slightly after Tukayidd, so those OmniMechs could be added to MWO with few timeline issues.

Some Mechs are not Totem but used more often by one Faction.

#12 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostOdanan, on 09 February 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

There is a lot of confusion (even by Sarna and the BT authors) of what are Totem Mechs. Some mechs in the OP are more "signature" mechs, than proper "totems".

Here is a list of Totem mechs in Sarna. (I think it makes more sense if the Totem Mech represent aesthetically the Clan/House)

Anyway, which Totem would come next, if any? I really hope it is the Black Lanner, because there are lots of great Clan medium omnimechs available in the timeline.

I'm aware of this, and I did consult that exact page when making my list.

The big problem for me is why announce the Kodiak as a totem mech in this game in the first place. If they do decide to release a totem mech line, there aren't enough applicants for each Clan. If they continue with totem mech line then they will be forced to use non-totem mechs. Perhaps then they will just call them 'Signature Mech'.

#13 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

They're totem mechs because they look a certain way. Usually like an animal or something of the clans. Though the inner sphere has totem mechs as well. It's really semantics whether they call it a totem mech or a clan mech. They should've called the ebon and the shadow cat a totem mech as well when selling this to reduce confusion. However most of the filthy freebirth scum who play this game still wouldn't get it and/or havent figured out what a search engine is so.....

#14 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostNaglinator, on 09 February 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

They're totem mechs because they look a certain way. Usually like an animal or something of the clans. Though the inner sphere has totem mechs as well. It's really semantics whether they call it a totem mech or a clan mech. They should've called the ebon and the shadow cat a totem mech as well when selling this to reduce confusion. However most of the filthy freebirth scum who play this game still wouldn't get it and/or havent figured out what a search engine is so.....

How does an Ebon Jaguar look like a Jaguar though? lmao.

Point I'm making is the meaning of Totem Mech is pretty vague to start with. If PGI just arbitrarily created a Totem Mech line w/o consulting lore I wouldn't argue with them.

#15 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:25 PM

Posted Image

It's cat like? Hey now, I didn't name these things, some subpar writer did. PGI FOR ONCE has actually done nothing wrong. They messed up canon, lore, balance, CW, players trust, BUT NOT calling these totem mechs :) At least give them that.

#16 Ukos

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:29 PM

as much as the dragonfly / Viper could be entertaining to see in game doesn't it only have 8.75 tons of pod space which is a tad small for a 40 ton mech

#17 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

View PostR79TCom1 Night Lanner, on 08 February 2016 - 10:53 PM, said:

The Mad Cat Mk2 was made by Clan Diamond Shark to sell to the Inner Sphere. Even though they tried to sell them to the Wolves they did not want them.

Ok well PGI doesn't follow lore....so it's a clan wolf totem mech now

#18 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostUkos, on 09 February 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

as much as the dragonfly / Viper could be entertaining to see in game doesn't it only have 8.75 tons of pod space which is a tad small for a 40 ton mech

Sounds like 6 medium lasers and BAP to me. Which is just fine for the Jumping cicada

#19 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostUkos, on 09 February 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

How much pod space has your Cicada 3F fully equipped with jump jets?

It's not much, but Clan weapons are lighter... you could fit 2 ER Large Lasers (or 4 Medium Pulse Lasers) and 4 MGs on it, for instance (or 4 ER Small Lasers). For a mech that fast and agile, it's pretty good.

View PostCzarr, on 09 February 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

Ok well PGI doesn't follow lore....so it's a clan wolf totem mech now

Well, they follow the lore much better than all MW games after MW2:M.

Edited by Odanan, 12 February 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#20 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

I think the Orion IIC is kind of a totem 'mech for Clan Wolf. For a long time only Clan Wolf built them and only gave them to warriors who deserved such prestige. The only reason the Orion has so much respect among the Clans is because The Great Father Aleksandr Kerensky piloted one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users