- - - - -

Sensors Differ From One Mech To Another?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Celthon

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Not understanding the mechanics of the sensors I think, or something...

There are many times when I can see the enemy but the Mech's sensors do not pick it up (I'm tapping the "R" key and nothing)...and an even greater number of times when Mechs approach from my side/rear and never appear at all on my mini-map. As I'm being blown apart I realize they're there. Other times I see the enemy, and the Mech lock's on at about the same instant, without me having to press the "R" key.

Does my Mech's targeting sensor only see directly in front of the cab? Do all Mech's start out with a basic generic sensor array, that must be upgraded to be competitive, or do some have none at all out the gate? I am using Light Urban Mechs currently, if that makes a difference.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

Go read up on ECM and how it works. Will save you a lot of grief.

#3 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

Mech sensors only detect mechs in front of them, that are not shielded by ECM up to 800 meters.

However, if a friendly locks on to an enemy mech, it will show up on your radar, regardless of whether or not you have line of sight to it.

ECM prevents you from locking on to a mech, unless you can counter it with either your own ECM, Active Probe, TAG, NARC or shooting the mech with PPCs/ERPPCs (which disable ECM for 4 seconds).

#4 Celthon

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

Thank you...my mistake was thinking of the sensors on these things working in a 360-degree sweep around me. Thank you for the replies and information.

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

Keep an eye out. There are modules to allow you to extend sensor range, maintain a lock on a target that moves behind you, and maintain target data and lock if the enemy breaks line of sight for a few seconds.

And UAVs are stationary, temporary eyes in the sky that can be SUPER helpful.

Active probes extend sensor range 25% (796 m to 995 m, give or take a couple feet), and stacks with the aforementioned module.

ECM can prevent the enemy getting some of that info on you, sometimes, and/or it can counter HIS ECM.

NARC and TAG can counter enemy ECM, too.

There's a lot to know. Be glad you stopped by to ask! AND WELCOME!

#6 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

View PostCelthon, on 08 February 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

Thank you...my mistake was thinking of the sensors on these things working in a 360-degree sweep around me. Thank you for the replies and information.

Very happy to help, it's what we do in these forums. Ask as many questions as you want.

#7 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

Welcome to MWO!! And like IraqiWalker said, continue asking questions. I think there are a lot of new players who maybe a little too shy to ask because they're afraid of asking silly questions.

-- NEWS FLASH --
We've ALL asked these questions, it's just that for some of us it was a long, long time ago.

#8 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

A couple of things that haven't been mentioned are the 360 target retention module and the seismic sensor modules. The first does exactly what it says and is like the sweep you mentioned. Seismic sensors pick up the footsteps of enemy mechs that are close even without LOS.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:17 PM

Sensors, not to be confused with radar.

Seismic Sensor is the closest thing to radar. 360 target retention requires you to have seen the target and selected it first, but can keep track of it even behind you.

#10 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:00 PM

Note that while you can target a mech you can't see, but that an ally can, you cannot get the target info (paper doll) display until you have line of sight for your own sensors to read that data.

#11 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:29 PM

View PostCelthon, on 08 February 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

I am using Light Urban Mechs currently, if that makes a difference.

Actually, the Urbie is actually the only mech which can actually have a 360 degrees sensor capability without needing any separate modules as Koniving had explained. This is because it is also the only mech currently ingame with a 360 degree torotwist (you still need to follow the target with your screen, but you dont actually have to turn the legs around to do that).

View PostWintersdark, on 08 February 2016 - 11:00 PM, said:

Note that while you can target a mech you can't see, but that an ally can, you cannot get the target info (paper doll) display until you have line of sight for your own sensors to read that data.

This is not true. You get the paperdoll even without needing line of sight, it just takes a few seconds longer to update after the mech targeting for you gets the paperdoll info.

#12 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:24 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 08 February 2016 - 11:29 PM, said:

This is not true. You get the paperdoll even without needing line of sight, it just takes a few seconds longer to update after the mech targeting for you gets the paperdoll info.

See, I thought this was the case, but over the last couple weeks as I've been playing with a lurmie mad dog, I've noticed that I can get targeting data, hold a lock, and never get paper doll readouts unless I get direct LOS to the target.

This is, of course, in no-ECM situations. It could be about ranges, though I'm usually very close.

I'm not arguing anything here, mind you, and not saying your wrong. Just that there's something not behaving as I expect it too, as I regularly have an issue getting paper doll info at all on targets I'm picking up from others. Not "It just takes a couple seconds longer"; simply not ever getting the paper doll.

As I always get it as expected when its a " first person" target lock, that was my assumption.

#13 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:47 AM

Ill see if I can make a video to test this. It may be that you dont get the paperdoll for a mech you never saw, but if you get indirect lock on a mech you had already seen in the past you do get the paperdoll info. Thats is an interresting point you bought up and could do with some observation :) .

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:48 AM

The further away a target is, the longer it takes to get paper doll information. To get the information for a target beyond your range and out of sight, your ally must actively target the enemy for an allotted, non-accumulative time based on the distance to target. The longest amount on this time is roughly 5 seconds for a target at 720 meters (basic limit on sensor range).

Equipment, such as Beagle Active Probe, Command Console, and certain modules so stated will reduce this time as well as increase your sensor range.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:51 AM

While the above doesn't require testing (it is fact), this following part does require testing.

When multiple allies have targeted the enemy, target information seems to require the closest ally to complete the task of "identifying" the target via staring with active targeting.

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:01 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 09 February 2016 - 01:47 AM, said:

Ill see if I can make a video to test this. It may be that you dont get the paperdoll for a mech you never saw, but if you get indirect lock on a mech you had already seen in the past you do get the paperdoll info. Thats is an interresting point you bought up and could do with some observation Posted Image .

Could you please post it in this thread as well?

Because I am pretty sure the only reason there's a delay in the paperdoll is the fact that the spotting mech hasn't gotten theirs yet.

#17 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:40 AM

View PostKoniving, on 09 February 2016 - 04:51 AM, said:

While the above doesn't require testing (it is fact), this following part does require testing.

When multiple allies have targeted the enemy, target information seems to require the closest ally to complete the task of "identifying" the target via staring with active targeting.
This is interesting.

My Mad Dog is typically LRM brawling. That is, I'm very close but often firi g indirectly, so depending on the layout of the local terrain I'm usually right on the other side of some cover. Thus, I have an indirect lock. (Multiple?) friendlies have direct locks, butbas we're brawling, they'll each frequently lose locks as they twist and such, but I generally wobt thanks to target decay.

It could be that the timer you mention above just keeps reseting as circumstances change, while it's invisible to me because Target Decay holds my targeting in the gaps. Hmm.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

Interesting indeed. Or perhaps cumulative if it is indeed the closest person.

As I said, that much needs to be tested and it could simply be untrue but it has been a voiced proposition of what may be going on in the case of several characters.

#19 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:03 AM

It's almost certainly UAV. I've seen this before on numerous occasions. The UAV will light up a section of enemies, and I'll target them, but unless someone gets line of sight and targets them, the target analysis just won't pop up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users