Do Random Frr Drops Ever Win?..

17 replies to this topic

#1 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:54 AM

Hi everyone. This is undeniably more of a whine than an actual question, but I'm hoping for some educating feedback nonetheless.
So I'm a new MWO player and very new to CW. Been playing some random CW drops since, like, last Thursday - less than a week. About 12-15 drops, I'd estimate. Won 3, 1 more victory was a ghost drop, and all others were losses - ranging from "we almost made it" to "we got stomped before 5 minutes mark". The latter were more often than the former. My current losing streak is 8 in a row and counting.

Is it just bad luck? Is it because clans simply have better mechs? Is it because my lack of CW skill hurts our collective chance to win so much? I'm generally not at all content with my CW performance - I do much better in quick play than CW with the same mechs because CW is chaos and I have no idea how to do damage. But I didn't do terribly in ALL of the lost drops, just in 75% of them...

#2 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:17 AM

I never knew the FRR had random drops.

The FRR is really well organised and a large number of players are regularily on the FRR TS server (information in the link below)

http://mwomercs.com/...hub-ts3-server/

The game changes immensely once you are grouped up on a VOIP server with the other 11 players in your match and at least one person is coorinating the movement, targeting, loadout and so on. That way you are standing in the right position, shooting at the right target and are informed in regards to what to expect and what is about to happen.

You do not need to speak on the TS server if you dont want to, listening is usually more than enough. Just inform others that oyu are unable to speak due to whatever reasons (kid sleeping, irritable wife looking oat Bollywood films in the background, what ever).

The next step up from playing with random other FRR players on the HUB is joining an organised group of players in a unit. The advantage here is that many players already know how their teammates react in certain situations and automatically pre plan for their movement and firing lines (not to mention more coordinated builds and mech choices)

#3 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:30 AM

I might have used a wrong term here by ignorance. What I meant by "random drop" was not being a part of any unit - I enqueued solo.
Sometimes (more often than not) someone did try to coordinate the effort. I suppose not enough people followed (I always did). Sometimes the instructions were... questionable, though.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. Although I wasn't going to participate any truly organized groups so soon (due to lack of player skill, especially in CW, and lack of owned mechs - I play the trial ones for now). Still, I would expect to see win rate of about 50%. I do understand that streaks are typical for random variables and the winning streak might be just around the corner, but it doesn't really make me feel better Posted Image

P. S. I don't have a mic, so communication on TS would be problematic. If that's the only way of coordinating activities around these parts, then perhaps FRR is simply not for me.

Edited by DavidStarr, 09 February 2016 - 01:40 AM.

#4 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:59 AM

As rushin said above, the frr ts server is one of the best places to go. Most clans or houses have a server. Even without a mic, you can still listen. Just let your drop command know you do not have a mic. Using lfg and faction chat can help you into a semi organized group too.

#5 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:10 AM

View Postmikerso, on 09 February 2016 - 01:59 AM, said:

Even without a mic, you can still listen.

Absolutely, I'm just not sure how to join an organized drop in the first place.

View Postmikerso, on 09 February 2016 - 01:59 AM, said:

Using lfg and faction chat can help you into a semi organized group too.

I actually did use LFG for the last 6 or so drops. The reason I didn't mention it is because those felt less organized than solo queue ones. Let's just say the only drops that we won and that were really well coordinated were the ones that I joined solo. Again, might just be bad luck.

#6 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:11 AM

As I said, you do not need to speak (and not having a mic is a good excuse not to need to talk :D ). Just type in the TS chatroom you are in that you do not have a mic and ask if they are OK with that.

A set of headphones is usually fine enough with most player groups. That way you will be able to hear what the others are saying and get the necessary information such as where the team should move to, what the current target is and if there is a dangerous mech to look out for (just to name a few exmaples).

The FRR Hub TS is not primarily fro units to use (although they are always welcome and good to see), It is to organise players like yourself without affiliations together into one conglomerate so that they can set up their own groups or fill up unit group.

As to your point about not playing well enough or not owning enough mechs for CW. Dont worry about that. We are all aware, that new players do not own tons of mechs or have the best statistics... The only way to improve the statistics and get enough Cbills to purchase/upgrade enough mechs (especially help you with the choices and builds fitting to your personal play style) is to actually play the game. Most units do not have any requirement as to minimum requirements other than have fun, be sociable and be a help to your team (ie. follow directions and dont continually go running off solo and ignore everything else)

The best was to learn is to learn directly from other players who can give you constructive hints and tips, which again leads you to either here, you tube or even better to a TS server (where you need only listen but can still type in your questions live).

#7 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:25 AM

Thanks! I'll definitely stop by TS the first chance I got then.

#8 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:41 AM

The FRR Hub is working on improving our new player experience and instating some proper training. Look for the red/brown channels called Runes of Wisdom - these have recommended dropdecks and other resources.

Feel free to join up any group you see on the FRR Hub and let them know that you're new. (but if there's 12 or more people in a channel you might not get into a drop with them immediately... can't hurt to try though). Look for anybody with an RKA officer tag in TS, they'll help you out. Also anybody with a 2K tag or higher means that they consistently do well in CW, so they are good to poke if you're looking for advice. =]

Edited by Tarogato, 09 February 2016 - 02:42 AM.

#9 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:22 AM

Also 12-15 matches is a small sample set... yes it's frustrating (trust me, even organized groups get rofl-stomped... gd TCAF, lol), but as you learn how to do well as an individual others will notice and take you under their wing (unit or no) because they"ll want to hold on to the guys that are there to do more than charge in and die.

Not sure when the next quirk pass is hitting, but cbut if you want to do cw, consider investing in thunderbolts (just about every single one has at least a niche role in cw) and some Jager mechs (DD variant is a must).

Granted, results may vary, but since you can make a drop deck of all thunderbolts, except on hot maps, you get a good bang for your buck cw-wise. Oh and I am talking cbills versions, you can get the heroes which are not bad, but you don"t need to spend real money just to have a good cw starter deck.

Have fun!

Edited by MovinTarget, 09 February 2016 - 03:23 AM.

#10 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:46 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 09 February 2016 - 03:22 AM, said:

Also 12-15 matches is a small sample set.

Indeed it is. It's just that with 30 minutes per drop (waiting times not included!) the sample builds up kinda slowly, and 15 drops is a lot of time.

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to note, though, that I genuinely don't like the trial Thunderbolt and don't have any desire to purchase one. I would rather do a deck of Catapults (it's nice to be able to shoot whatever and wherever your team has spotted). Either way, at this point my performance is determined by my general skills much more than my specific mech or its upgrades.

Edited by DavidStarr, 09 February 2016 - 06:47 AM.

#11 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:07 PM

About the FRR hub - several months back the hub was somewhat redesigned by experienced team players with an eye towards creating an environment specifically friendly for the newest of players. Many of the strongest supporters of MWO recognize the extreme curve the new player faces - and FRR is designed to help you with exactly that.

Getting into CW is a huge investment in time and C-Bills, that represents many months of ongoing in-game time. There is also the time needed for skills development - few of these skills can be learned quickly, and a big part of it all is trial and error. Your brain takes time to recognize the importance of these skills, and many of them cannot be recognized until you have first learned to do other things.... think of it as leveling up your piloting abilities.

The main advantage of the FRR hub centers around the ability to drop in groups of 12 communicating players on the same teamspeak - often with a unified command. This dramatically increases everyone's performance on the battlefield and it represents a huge advantage vrs any 12 man group that is not on teamspeak or lacks drop command. In turn, this means a much better win rate overall for you, and that means much larger earnings, much faster learning, and generally at least doubles the speed with which you can level up your game.

We want you in the game, and we want you to become better just as fast as you can - we need the skilled opponents so everyone's match quality will improve overall. It is in our own self interest that you and everyone just like you is integrated into the game as best we know how to do it - so you see, there are many of us who are working behind the scenes to help you get to where you want to be. FRR Hub is perhaps the best working (and certainly the most successful) example of that behind the scenes effort to date, and I highly recommend you embrace the opportunity it offers to you.

You'll even see me there, from time to time:)

Crusty Dog, MS, RKA.

#12 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 09 February 2016 - 12:54 AM, said:

Hi everyone. This is undeniably more of a whine than an actual question, but I'm hoping for some educating feedback nonetheless.
So I'm a new MWO player and very new to CW. Been playing some random CW drops since, like, last Thursday - less than a week. About 12-15 drops, I'd estimate. Won 3, 1 more victory was a ghost drop, and all others were losses - ranging from "we almost made it" to "we got stomped before 5 minutes mark". The latter were more often than the former. My current losing streak is 8 in a row and counting.

Is it just bad luck? Is it because clans simply have better mechs? Is it because my lack of CW skill hurts our collective chance to win so much? I'm generally not at all content with my CW performance - I do much better in quick play than CW with the same mechs because CW is chaos and I have no idea how to do damage. But I didn't do terribly in ALL of the lost drops, just in 75% of them...

I am sorry about your experiences so far. Please come to the FRR hub TS server and let people know you are new. Most people there are really nice and don't mind a new player joining in with a group. Just follow orders of the drop commander and, if you win it's because you worked as a team and if you lose its because the drop commander failed Posted Image Posted Image

I suspect you are dropping solo on defense, since that is what most solo players do. Dropping on defense is hard because you have to face a 12 man from the other team. In fact, dropping solo on defense is the worst thing you can do if you are a new player -- you will most likely lose. Attacking is, technically, harder because you have turrets to deal with but you, likewise, will run into more PUGS than organized units. It is the main reason that most competitive teams/units choose to attack -- its easier and faster. (probably in that order).

Come to the Hub, look at people in CW channels and join them and ask if they have room. There are many great units who are always looking for more people, specially those who are willing to learn and improve. -SO- accepts all players with the spirit of having fun and enjoying our time playing together.

And don't let Mech The Dane's attitude get to you, the doctor has ordered him to cut down his bacon consumption so he is a bit cranky.

Edited by nehebkau, 09 February 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#13 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 09 February 2016 - 06:46 AM, said:

Indeed it is. It's just that with 30 minutes per drop (waiting times not included!) the sample builds up kinda slowly, and 15 drops is a lot of time.

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to note, though, that I genuinely don't like the trial Thunderbolt and don't have any desire to purchase one. I would rather do a deck of Catapults (it's nice to be able to shoot whatever and wherever your team has spotted). Either way, at this point my performance is determined by my general skills much more than my specific mech or its upgrades.

I feel for you on the wait times, I know the feeling. This is another advantage of getting on TS because nothing makes that time go by like talking with buddies in TS.

If your only experience with thunderbolts is the trial, its not a fair representation of their potential...

As for catapults and LRMs in general, those can get you lots of damage, just keep in mind that eventually you experience a bit of plateau on performance.
The reason for this is that lots of damage and losing doesn't give as much $$/xp/lp as lots of damage and WINNING. Winning typically comes from focused, direct damage taking down opponents FAST. You may also find yourself hamstrung by depending on others for locks when they aren't targeting or having too many lrms and not enough spotters.

Keep with the catapults, but just keep that in mind as you get your feet under you.

Good luck!

#14 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 09 February 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

P. S. I don't have a mic, so communication on TS would be problematic. If that's the only way of coordinating activities around these parts, then perhaps FRR is simply not for me.

It isn't FRR specifically... It is every CW drop. There is in game VOIP but most Units use their own TS/Mumble server or if you are lucky a public one like FRR Hub. Some even turn off the in game VOIP. I know in the SOR we tend to communicate with the random people who drop with us although you won't get all of our communications, just the important ones such as tactics or warnings about UAVs or flanking foes and such. We will try to keep you in the know.

The other issue is that CW is more or less an unfiltered experience. What I mean by that is you are NOT dropping into a game with people at the same tier as you.

Here is just a base of what most pilots in CW will have as an advantage over you:
  • Mechs customized to the ideal loadout that pilot wants to use.
  • Chassis Skills unlocked which increase speed/heat management/maneuverability and more.
  • Pilot Skills which give access to things like Radar Dep so people lose you as a target sooner or Seismic Sensors so they can see moving mechs that are close on the radar.
  • Spare cash for Consumables like UAVs, Cool Shots, Air Drops, and Artillery.

All that is before you factor in most CW players tend to drop with coordinated groups some of which know each other's tactics and practice together.

If you are learning I would HIGHLY suggest you drop in the regular queues where you will face people of the same tier who are solo when you are solo and in groups when you are grouped up.

#15 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:47 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 09 February 2016 - 06:46 AM, said:

-SO- isn't LRM unfriendly.... just stay within 400M of the action with those LRMs :)

#16 Airwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWhere's the dropship? I want off this rock!

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:05 PM

Recommendations --

1) Get a headset with a mic. The mic is important cause it let's people get to know you more quickly as well as enables you to relay information back to the team immediately instead of trying to take the time to type it out which you really won't have the opportunity to do if you're in the thick of things.

2) Get on TeamSpeak, either the faction TS server (like FRR) or even NA Comstar. I know that you were specifically talking about CW drops, but there's tons to be learned from people that aren't necessarily in your current faction. I've met and now know lots of guys in lots of different units and factions and yeah, we love beating the crap outta each other <g>

3) Interact with lots of people cause there will be lots that you can get along with and those you can't. Find people with complimenting personalities and play styles. It's going to take a while and it will be a lot of work. Getting to know your teammates is very important. The better that you know them and the better that they know you makes team coordination a WHOLE lot easier. Also, you'll get *TONS* of advice on play styles, what mech(s) to purchase, mech loadouts etc. Just remember that what works for them may not necessarily work for you. If you don't understand why someone does something a certain way ... ask.

4) Find a unit. You'll probably have to hang out with several different units before you find one you like (and hopefully by that time, they'll like you too <g>). This is where you'll most likely start really honing your skill and tactics. You'll start learning how to read the "flow" of the battle and how to react to it. You may lose a lot. That's ok as long as you figure out why you lost and start working on adjustments to make things work better for you and your team.

5) Use your MWO friends to help you get better, faster. They'll be more than happy to tell you what does and doesn't work. Use that knowledge. Run drops with them in CW as well as Public matches. You may feel that all they're doing is carrying you and at first, maybe that is the case. However, by now, they like you enough to drop with you on a regular basis and it's an investment to them too. If they help you get better, then you'll be able to become more of an asset to them more quickly.

6) Take everything that everyone says or types with a grain of salt (*especially* the long-winded drivel that you *just* read) Watch out for the "old farts" such as myself (been here since Closed Beta) cause they tend to ramble on and on if you let them <g>.

7) And this is the *MOST* important thing ... Have Fun. I know that can be *REALLY* hard sometimes (especially after multiple consecutive losses) ... but when everything comes together just right and you get that win ... it's really rewarding ... and it's not bad for the C-bill wallet too <g>

P.S. If you haven't done so yet, go through the Academy Training ... it's a relatively quick 5 Million C-Bills ...

#17 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:00 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 09 February 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

I suspect you are dropping solo on defense, since that is what most solo players do.

Not exactly - I tried both offense and defense. Didn't notice much difference as to how hard we lost Posted Image

View PostMovinTarget, on 09 February 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

If your only experience with thunderbolts is the trial, its not a fair representation of their potential...

It is, but why even risk dumping all my C-bills on a mech I might not like, when there are ones I do like? I'm sure I will come around to Thunderbolt later.

View PostMovinTarget, on 09 February 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

Keep with the catapults, but just keep that in mind as you get your feet under you.

Good luck!

Thanks. I realize Catapult is not a silver bullet nor the "I win" button, but I like the mech. And different Catapult variants do offer some flexibility. Not to mention I already have lots unspent XP with the trial Cat-A1.

View PostMercules, on 09 February 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

If you are learning I would HIGHLY suggest you drop in the regular queues where you will face people of the same tier who are solo when you are solo and in groups when you are grouped up.

Meaning, I should just press the "Attack" or "Defend" button and wait, instead of using LFG?

View PostAirwolf, on 09 February 2016 - 09:05 PM, said:

1) Get a headset with a mic. The mic is important cause it let's people get to know you more quickly as well as enables you to relay information back to the team immediately

I realize that. Sadly, my accomodations don't allow for using mic most of the time. I share space with other people and my speaking would disturb them.

6) Take everything that everyone says or types with a grain of salt (*especially* the long-winded drivel that you *just* read)

That almost sounds like the liar's paradox Posted Image

P.S. If you haven't done so yet, go through the Academy Training ... it's a relatively quick 5 Million C-Bills ...

Already did, no more free C-bills for me :/

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Edited by DavidStarr, 10 February 2016 - 02:01 AM.

#18 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:15 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 10 February 2016 - 02:00 AM, said:

It is, but why even risk dumping all my C-bills on a mech I might not like, when there are ones I do like? I'm sure I will come around to Thunderbolt later.

Thanks. I realize Catapult is not a silver bullet nor the "I win" button, but I like the mech. And different Catapult variants do offer some flexibility. Not to mention I already have lots unspent XP with the trial Cat-A1.

Meaning, I should just press the "Attack" or "Defend" button and wait, instead of using LFG?

I realize that. Sadly, my accomodations don't allow for using mic most of the time. I share space with other people and my speaking would disturb them.

That almost sounds like the liar's paradox Posted Image

Already did, no more free C-bills for me :/

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

TRIAL MECHS are not to be compared with a mech you own and have optimized (armor, armor distribution, weapons).
And there is a huge difference once you unlocked the Basic and Elite Skills.

QUICK-PLay is what was meant by regular Drop i think. There you play against players in your Tier.

Listening is most important, speaking is optional. So a mic is not absolutely necessary.

I started dropping in CW regularly when i had my own full dropdeck, without any trials.

Welcome to MWO!

Greetings

el piro

P.S.: sorry, not time for longer answer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users