- - - - -

Noob Question

6 replies to this topic

#1 noobnes

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

Hi,

Started to play MWO few days back mostly in quick matches. I have some questions and would greatly appriciate a answer. Posted Image

1. I Played all MW games before and it seems that steering and targeting is much more difficult in MWO. Its very hard to hit a large moving target using Joystick and I am thinking that i am doing something wrong or missing something. In MW4 I could hit a center of a mech on full speed in raven now I almost always miss the whole Mech Posted Image

2. Do I move to fraction game before purchasing a mech? Or stick with quick match for some time?

3. I noticed in some videos so players target stability is much better and they have better ZOOM. Do I need to pay for it? Or can I get it by getting cash from game?

Thx for the help.

noobnes

#2 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

Hello and welcome to MWO!

View Postnoobnes, on 09 February 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

1. I Played all MW games before and it seems that steering and targeting is much more difficult in MWO. Its very hard to hit a large moving target using Joystick and I am thinking that i am doing something wrong or missing something. In MW4 I could hit a center of a mech on full speed in raven now I almost always miss the whole Mech Posted Image

Joystick support is not great in this game. Most players use mouse and keyboard (with mouse sensitivity turned pretty low). I know one person who uses a left-handed joystick and mouse. There are threads out there to tweak a stick for how you want to use it, hopefully someone can link to them.

2. Do I move to fraction game before purchasing a mech? Or stick with quick match for some time?

I would highly recommend sticking to quick play until you have 4 mechs that you own (you use 4 per match). Faction play is very unforgiving (no matchmaker, highly teamwork focused), and best when you are in a group. Get used to the game first, and then give FP a go. It's totally worth it once you get into it.

3. I noticed in some videos so players target stability is much better and they have better ZOOM. Do I need to pay for it? Or can I get it by getting cash from game?

The target stability is probably just low mouse sensitivity (many have the option to change sensitivity on the fly). The advanced zoom (picture in picture) is a module that you have to unlock with GXP and then buy with cbills to equip it on a mech. There is very little in this game that cannot be bought with cbills (in-game cash).

Good hunting mechwarrior!

#3 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:37 AM

As Darwin's Dog said, use a mouse for aiming, low sensitivity. If you really want to use a joystick, use it for controlling the legs.

You can do faction play whenever you like, just make sure you choose mechs (trial or owned) that you're happy with, first one is generally the heaviest, long range is useful too. Be warned that you'll occasionally run into a highly coordinated team that will annihilate yours, it happens to everyone sometimes.

#4 Fanatic

• 1,326 posts
  • LocationColonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

Posted Image

#5 noobnes

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

I guess mice and KB it is. kinda a sad, I liked using Joystick in MW4. Seemed easier to move legs and upper body the way you wanted.

Thx everyone.

#6 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:22 AM

View Postnoobnes, on 09 February 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I guess mice and KB it is. kinda a sad, I liked using Joystick in MW4. Seemed easier to move legs and upper body the way you wanted.

Thx everyone.

If you really love your joystick, consider it in your left hand for movement and mouse in right to fire. That's the only joystick combo that seems to really work. I know one very good player who uses it.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

View Postnoobnes, on 09 February 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

Thx everyone.

Mouse and throttle stick. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users