Lunar New Year!

42 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:48 PM

Starts: Feb 9th 11:00 AM PST ( 7:00 PM UTC)

Ends: Feb 12th 10:00 AM PST ( 6:00 PM UTC)

Happy Lunar New Year!

Kintaro Golden Boy 35% off

KTO-GB

4125 - 35% = 2681 MC

50% off Select Cockpit Items.

Chinese Lantern Light Mounted item

1000 - 50% = 500 MC

Flag China Standing Item

500 - 50% = 250 MC

Screaming Surat War Horn

750 - 50% = 375 MC

Clapping Surat Standing Item

500 - 50% = 250 MC

Lucky Cat Standing Item

500 - 50% = 250 MC

#2 Nam Neckcrit

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBremen, Germany

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:49 PM

lol..."kintaro" actually isnt chinese.. ;)

#3 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostNam Neckcrit, on 09 February 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

lol..."kintaro" actually isnt chinese.. Posted Image

Yeah, yeah. It's Japanese, right? Some folklore hero or something?

#4 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:54 PM

Ideally it would be Yen Lo Wang, the Chinese God of the Dead. Or any Capellan mech (Space China)

However, while the Kintaro is a Japanese name, Golden Boy is referencing a Chinese tradition I don't have time to dive into at the moment...

#5 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

Kintaro backwards is "O-Rat! (nick) [Oratnik]. Maybe someone saw a rat on the kintaro, wrote it down, but it was read in the mirror.

Edited by Stingray1234, 09 February 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

What they said above...I thought Kintaro meant "golden boy" in Japanese?

Whatever. A sale is a sale, I may give the oft maligned Kintaro a shot.

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

Notice the avoidance of the culturally confused Yen Lo Wang. LOL.

#8 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 733 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:10 PM

LOL I thought they were putting capellan mechs on sale. Instead they give us an ultra japanese one, Yen lo Wang nowhere to be seen. These guys need a new cultural advisor ASAP.

#9 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

Battletech wasn't born in the most politically correct/culturally sensitive time periods. I assume FASA offices were more or less like Wolf of Wall Street. Hey it was the 80s, wasn't everyone tossing dwarfs and doing coke at their desk?

#10 Hatsuzuki

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

Being a native Chinese, I don't think there is a mech that is really more than 75% Chinese in-game yet. There are some that can be (e.g. Yu Huang, the Jade Emperor) Yen-lo wang is kinda Chinese in name but has a IJA flag on its chest for some reason rofl. Don't think it is lucky thing to do with a god of the underworld for New Year haha. Maybe a Liao/Canpella-related discount is more 'Chinese' to do haha.

But I will take any sales for any day :) Having a sale is better than no sale :P I appreciate that.

And Kin = Gold. Taro can be roughly translated into boy. and that is Japanese

#11 LoganVI

Rookie

• The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 09 February 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Ideally it would be Yen Lo Wang, the Chinese God of the Dead. Or any Capellan mech (Space China)

However, while the Kintaro is a Japanese name, Golden Boy is referencing a Chinese tradition I don't have time to dive into at the moment...

If by Chinese tradition you mean the Japanese story of Kintaro, the Golden Boy (and an anime influenced by that), then yeah, that is Japanese, not Chinese. Also some relation that I forgot to the story of Momotaro, I think they are the same person or something. Surats are also not Chinese and lucky cats (maneki neko) are mostly Japanese, they came up with it, Chinese people just put it in a bunch of their stores/restaurants.
These are the same people that put a Japanese flag on the Yen Lo Wang which is a mech owned by a Chinese man and his son and who named it after the Chinese Gods of Death. You would think with them being out in BC they would know the difference.

#12 JHackworth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

OOC and IC collide, result is muchEggOnFace

#13 LoganVI

Rookie

• The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

View PostHaqua, on 09 February 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

Being a native Chinese, I don't think there is a mech that is really more than 75% Chinese in-game yet. There are some that can be (e.g. Yu Huang, the Jade Emperor) Yen-lo wang is kinda Chinese in name but has a IJA flag on its chest for some reason rofl. Don't think it is lucky thing to do with a god of the underworld for New Year haha. Maybe a Liao/Canpella-related discount is more 'Chinese' to do haha.

But I will take any sales for any day Posted Image Having a sale is better than no sale Posted Image I appreciate that.

Catapults are one of the workhorse mechs of the Capellan Confederation, Yu Huang and the Phoenix Rebirth thing of Sun Tzu Laio's cas not happened yet.

#14 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

The Kintaro is maligned, I was concerned about trying it out, but the completionist in me could not be denied...

It is not as bad as people make out. Lurms get boring, yes, but several variants do them well. I was able to get one up to about 49 point alpha brawler if you can manage the heat..

#15 Dinsdale Ito Piranha

• Pip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

What no Plush Monkey? It is the Year of the Stuffed animal and all....( wouldn't buy one anyways but still)

#16 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 09 February 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

The Kintaro is maligned, I was concerned about trying it out, but the completionist in me could not be denied...

It is not as bad as people make out. Lurms get boring, yes, but several variants do them well. I was able to get one up to about 49 point alpha brawler if you can manage the heat..

The proper way to run GB is just like in it's release promo video. SRM spank brawler. host heat be damned, load it to the gills with SRM, and play Atlas' sidekick/ninja and when something starts shooting your Atlas buddy, step out and dismember/gank it with a rediculous alpha. Extra amusing to do against an enemy medium mech. No, it's not meta no it's not even super effective. Well, it is against one or two enemy mechs, but you need support(in a support mech lol) and time, which tends to not turn out in a brawl. BUT, it sure is fun to mess with that guy who thinks he is unstoppable in his DWF or TBR.

So yeah, it's a gimmick lulz loadout type mech. Get it if you like shinanigans. If you are looking for some kind of hero lurm boat... pass, other stuff just does it better.

#17 Intrepid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

Should be all Kintaros and they should be 50% off; should also include Centurions & YLW specifically.

#18 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

Chinese New Year already past... this sale is meaningless.

#19 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 09 February 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

Chinese New Year already past... this sale is meaningless.

The CNY is a week-long holiday so it's valid. We get Xmas promos in September nowadays for crying out loud. lol

On the other hand, I was hoping for more game driven events than a plain sales discount. x2XP was nice and got me playing way more MWO than I would have otherwise over the weekend. Current death match mode is just boring without an added incentive even if it's a small one.

#20 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:38 PM

View PostHaqua, on 09 February 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

But I will take any sales for any day :) Having a sale is better than no sale :P I appreciate that.

Actually, the Japanese flag on the Yen Lo is extrememly appropriate. After all the horrible things the Japanese have done to China, what icon could better convey death than a Japanese naval flag? I questioned that like hell too until I stopped to think about it really hard. And, like I said, that explaination makes quite a bit of sense in my mind.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users