Gaussageddon

15 replies to this topic

#1 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:25 AM

So which mechs are the gaussiest mechs to ever sling the gauss cannon?

I know the Grid Iron is supposed to be good at it. Are any other mechs quirked for it?

#2 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:38 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...uss-rifle-mech/

This should be helpful, In particular the first and last post. ;)

#3 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:48 AM

Not sure if this is totally relevant to this thread but honestly, I think it is a mistake to base any decision on specific weapon quirks. Recent changes to quirks have proven that; they have become more general overall. The entire quirk system is predicated on the ability to make quick, simple changes to re-balance both mechs and weapons and your favourite gauss-quirked mech could lose any and all weapon quirks with any patch.

Far better is to look at the overall balance of a mech - weight, hardpoint location, ammo limitations etc - and decide if you can "gauss it up". e.g. Both the Ebon Jaguar and the Marauder have great high ballistics hardpoints and enough weight to carry ammo and supplementary weapons.

Can't beat the link in DoubleFlip's post for general information, however, it is fairly old and some of the quirk information is out of date.

#4 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:37 AM

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 10 February 2016 - 01:48 AM, said:

Not sure if this is totally relevant to this thread but honestly, I think it is a mistake to base any decision on specific weapon quirks. Recent changes to quirks have proven that; they have become more general overall. The entire quirk system is predicated on the ability to make quick, simple changes to re-balance both mechs and weapons and your favourite gauss-quirked mech could lose any and all weapon quirks with any patch.

Far better is to look at the overall balance of a mech - weight, hardpoint location, ammo limitations etc - and decide if you can "gauss it up". e.g. Both the Ebon Jaguar and the Marauder have great high ballistics hardpoints and enough weight to carry ammo and supplementary weapons.

Can't beat the link in DoubleFlip's post for general information, however, it is fairly old and some of the quirk information is out of date.

Yeah that's from '15. Didn't notice D:

#5 Arianrhod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

I don't highly recommend the Grid Iron. The high hardpoint is nice, but Gauss rifles have the slight problem of having a 100% chance to explode when destroyed, which, when right next to your CT, is not so great. This is especially true of the Hunchback because the right ST is notoriously huge and easy to hit. I would really never put a Gauss rifle in the ST, such as in an Orion, unless it was a mech that you could get a high speed out of without an XL engine (Gauss + XL in the same component = spontaneous death). But it's hard to think of mechs for which that is true, but also mount a ballistic hardpoint in the ST. Hero Dragon, maybe, but in that case it would be better to run a normal Dragon with the gun in the arm.

I think Gauss rifle quirks are actually pretty uncommon; at least I don't seem to recall seeing them a lot. As Jimmy said, quirks are also subject to constant adjustment.

Edited by Arianrhod, 18 February 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#6 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

Not quirked for it, but dual gauss crab is effective.

#7 DirtyChewie

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:24 AM

One of the obvious choices would the Jagermech, dual guass, high hardpoint locations, in the arms. Not much in the way of backup weaponry and you don't want to get into a brawl with it but for guass sniping it's great

#8 TouchFluffyTail

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

I run a dual gauss build on the Rifleman 3N. Saw the 40% ballistic velocity quirk and couldn't resist.

#9 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

If you want to run gauss, here are my recommendations:

KGC: Any and every variant can run dual guass, but stick to the 000 and 000b since they have general ballistic quirks.

MAR: Marauder has a high side torso ballistic slot and has some slight ballistic quirks. One of my marauders has a gauss rifle and 6 medium lasers on it.

JGR: the jager can do dual guass, but you wont really have any other backup weapons.

SLK: I run my hero stalker with a guass and 3 ERLL.

DWF & WHK: the direwolf and warhawk can easily fit dual gauss, but they have really low slung arms, so not the best choice.

#10 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

View PostFobhopper, on 31 March 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

DWF & WHK: the direwolf and warhawk can easily fit dual gauss, but they have really low slung arms, so not the best choice.

Actually both are very viable gauss platforms, you just gotta use them like assaults, and not like ridge snipers wich are jager mechs and other heavies

DWF-PRIME

This has been my DWF-Prime build since the day it was released. It has terrible firepower wich is very controllable. You often see meta builds with additional ER PPC's and LPL or ER LL spam. There is no need for that. This build has a primary powerfull long range weapon system and an absolutely devestating medium range system.

Put 4 MPL in each group, and you can unleash 2 salvos of 8 MPL's and 4x your gauss rifles before overheating.

#11 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:03 PM

Gaussiest? Ilya muromets. Lol

#12 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

To be honest the first thign that game to my mind due to the title of this thread is the Gausszilla. An Annihilator variant with 5 gauss rifles and an er medium laser. Posted Image

#13 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:59 AM

Mauler's a good gauss boat.

#14 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:32 PM

If I wanted to gauss using a DWF, I'd put dual PPCs and dual Gauss all on the same side, and then tack on a TComp V for greatly improved velocities. The sheer firepower is enough to oneshot a light at 800m, and typically rips off a limb or otherwise heavily damages mediums and heavies. It's not great close up, but given how slow a DWF is and how strong quick play nascar is, you'd likely be lagging behind your team anyway.

Something like this. DWF-PRIME

Note how the heavy weapons are all on one side. This lets you deadside well, but if the enemy is smart they can target your weapon side. It also has the advantage of giving you extremely tight convergence regardless of distance.

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 05 April 2016 - 09:33 PM.

#15 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:09 AM

Whats a good mech to practice gauss firing with? I've had brief use of it when I first started the game but I never felt comfortable with it so dropped trying to use it, but now I want to practice with it but not sure what the best mech is to do that with.

#16 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

View PostWill Hawker, on 07 April 2016 - 04:09 AM, said:

Whats a good mech to practice gauss firing with? I've had brief use of it when I first started the game but I never felt comfortable with it so dropped trying to use it, but now I want to practice with it but not sure what the best mech is to do that with.

For single gauss, I'd suggest KFX or ADR.
For dual gauss, I'd suggest JM6 (any variant), KGC, DWF, or TBR.
For dual gauss dual ppc? DWF, and load it up with a big TComp. Watch your enemies melt at 800m+.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users