#1 Ryoden Shipwright

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:27 AM

Hey folks.

I have been playing around with smurfy's Mechlab site in order to get a better understanding of how to modify mechs and such. I purchased a Locust 1V and in the website made up the following build for it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b3415cb438efe4a

But when I went to the in-game mechlab and put the same build together I was given a warning that I did not have enough heat-sinks. That wasn't a huge deal and I modified it accordingly. I also see now that the mechlab website has a red 8 next to heat-sinks but once I modify it to have more the number changes to blue.

What has me worried is that I will build a mech on the website and it will not be built in the game the same way. And rather than costing a few hundred thousand credits it will cost me many million more than I expected.

TLDR:

What does it take to actually build the following mech in the game

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...844b8a19af05ff3

Thanks

Edited by RyodenShipwright, 10 February 2016 - 07:29 AM.

#2 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

go to smurfys and hover your cursor over the incredibly large amount of c-bills that is shown just above the weapon selection column on the right. There you will get an exact calculation of what your mech will cost.
remember: if you have any of the components that you want to use in stock (go ingame: -> Inventory to check) you can subtract the respective cost fro the smurfy calculation.

concerning the Shadowcat you want: If you are new and unfamiliar with PPCs, I would strongly recommend to use two large pulse lasers instead. PPCs can be quite frustrating.
Or go for one PPC and one large pulse laser to see whats better for you

Edited by Cyrilis, 10 February 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostRyodenShipwright, on 10 February 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

Hey folks.

I have been playing around with smurfy's Mechlab site in order to get a better understanding of how to modify mechs and such. I purchased a Locust 1V and in the website made up the following build for it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b3415cb438efe4a

But when I went to the in-game mechlab and put the same build together I was given a warning that I did not have enough heat-sinks. That wasn't a huge deal and I modified it accordingly. I also see now that the mechlab website has a red 8 next to heat-sinks but once I modify it to have more the number changes to blue.

What has me worried is that I will build a mech on the website and it will not be built in the game the same way. And rather than costing a few hundred thousand credits it will cost me many million more than I expected.

TLDR:

What does it take to actually build the following mech in the game

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...844b8a19af05ff3

Thanks

Your Stormcrow can be built exactly as shown.

The Locust -- as do all Mechs -- require a bare minimum of 10 heatsinks regardless of whether single or double. To mention it though the given Locust build -- with an XL engine, CASE in MWO (not Battletech but in MWO) is worthless. CASE is to save the pilot's life (meaningless here) as well as to protect the mech to allow it to be salvaged in the event of partial engine destruction... also meaningless here. If you were using a standard engine, this would protect your center torso from an ammo explosion.

Now whether that build with the stormcrow is a good idea is another story entirely. It'll be insanely hot. ER PPCs generate a lot of heat. Until you get the 'basic' skill unlocks, I don't think you should try this Stormcrow build.

#4 Ryoden Shipwright

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:15 AM

Thanks guys.

I've been playing with the dual ER PPC Adder Trial Mech so I am familiar with the weapons.

Does the fact that that SHC-PRIME build swap out its arms and one shoulder for SHC-s and SHC-b pieces count towards the cost on the website or is there something I don’t know? Like, do I need to own all three chassis in order to combine them?

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostRyodenShipwright, on 10 February 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

Thanks guys.

I've been playing with the dual ER PPC Adder Trial Mech so I am familiar with the weapons.

Does the fact that that SHC-PRIME build swap out its arms and one shoulder for SHC-s and SHC-b pieces count towards the cost on the website or is there something I don’t know? Like, do I need to own all three chassis in order to combine them?

it counts towards the cost.

with Omnipods you can purchase them independently or you can remove them from a Mech you own to put them on another Mech, the cost depends on the size of the Mech, on a Light they are cheep on an assault they are expensive, unfortunately Smurfys Mechlab does not seem to take Omnipod cost into account, I only realized that when I tried to get Omnipod prices on Smurfy

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 February 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#6 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:32 AM

You can also verify a build by making it ingame. When you go to the purchase screen, there is a button to open the mech in the mechlab without purchasing it. There you can make modifications to see if any warnings/errors appear.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostRekkon, on 10 February 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

You can also verify a build by making it ingame. When you go to the purchase screen, there is a button to open the mech in the mechlab without purchasing it. There you can make modifications to see if any warnings/errors appear.

This is new, looking forward to toying with this.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

LCT-1V valid, but without the ams. Classic locust armour theory is that your head is too small a target for anyone to hit, an I've yet to be killed by a cockpit shot in my locusts. (Technically, Locust armour theory is 1 armour head, an five in the arms, but I felt that I'd offer a gateway option.)

Of course, I tend not to get airstriked while in lights, which is when headshots seem to be most common.

~Leone

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:57 PM

I agree with Leone. Generally on lights they don't need AMS, and on mechs that do have AMS I always try to get the AMS ammo in the head and lower the armor on the head to about 6-8.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users