8 replies to this topic

#1 PUFNSTUF

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

Hello there fellow warriors,

I have been playing since last Thursday or so and have elited/mastered my Arctic Cheetahs and Hunchbakc IIC's. I hadn't played since the beta days and recently got back into it thanks to it being on steam (couldn't re install due to game registry issues but being on steam has fixed that). Been playing CW with the Falcons and want to have an IS drop deck as well. I have three IS mechs from back in the day.

Cn9-ah(L)
Cptl-c1(f)
As7-sc(L)

With the recent news of the Kodiak I will probably get that before the end of the month. I have browsed everything on Metamechs and other places but am coming to the players for specific advice.

For play style I enjoy long range sniping or close engages but in a faster mech so I can circle the target (got too used to the Cheetah I think >.<). Moving at 60 kph is not for me, I prefer 80 and above if possible.

I know I should probably get blackjacks since they are so good, but with the coming patch (and hopefully notes out on friday) I am holding off. The Thunderbolt trail mech was fun to pilot. I do not really enjoy the Catapult. I am looking for a well balanced CW drop deck that I can put together and definitely want some IS heavies in there, and a solid medium. I do not mind spending money on packages like the Warhammer etc or mastery packs.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by PUFNSTUF, 10 February 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#2 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:49 PM

Thunderbolts are a lot of fun. But it took me several different builds to find the ones that work best for me. (if you care, ThunderWUBS 7mpls is one of them, the other is a 4 Lpl build).

I also like the Cataphracts, but a lot of people disagree with me. The low slung arms are a problem, but not an insurmountable one.

If you like speed+sniping, the the Blackjacks will probably be good for you. Do you prefer laser sniping, gauss or ACs?

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:06 PM

If you like long range, then generally you want mechs that have higher up weapon mounts.

Blackjack as Im sure you know fits this well. Obviously I cant predict what it will perform like after it gets nerfed, but short of getting negative quirks (which I honestly doubt) I think it will still be a very viable chasis.
Hunchback is another classic top choice for IS mediums. Nice high mounted weapon points in the hunch. You just need to be prepared to protect the hunch, because any pilot worth their salt will def target it first.
Shadowhawk also has high mounted shoulder weapons.

Jager, T-Bolt, and Quickdraw are all classic IS favorites for heavies.

Since you mentioned not minding dropping cash, the Marauder and Warhammer packs are both very good. The Marauder has high hardpoints in the side torso, is very tanky, most can mount jump jets. The Warhammer has relatively high weapon mounts in the torso.

For IS Assaults, King Crab is the closest IS can get to absolute gun boat like the Dire Wolf. Arm weapons are a little low, but the torso mounts are very high. Stalkers are popular as well, but my personal experience with them is very limited.

#4 PUFNSTUF

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 10 February 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

If you like speed+sniping, the the Blackjacks will probably be good for you. Do you prefer laser sniping, gauss or ACs?

So far I love the mechanics of gauss sniping but the damage compared to others is low. I like laser sniping (haven't tried ppc but I've been on the receiving end and it looks fun.) For ac's haven't tried the ac5 builds but I run 2 ac10 on my Hunchback.

View PostBoogie138, on 10 February 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

If you like long range, then generally you want mechs that have higher up weapon mounts.

Jager, T-Bolt, and Quickdraw are all classic IS favorites for heavies.

Since you mentioned not minding dropping cash, the Marauder and Warhammer packs are both very good. The Marauder has high hardpoints in the side torso, is very tanky, most can mount jump jets. The Warhammer has relatively high weapon mounts in the torso.

For IS Assaults, King Crab is the closest IS can get to absolute gun boat like the Dire Wolf. Arm weapons are a little low, but the torso mounts are very high. Stalkers are popular as well, but my personal experience with them is very limited.

Trial crab was a lot of fun with its ac's. Whats better, the quickdraw or the T-bolt?

Out of the warhammer and marauder, they both seem very similar and ppc centric. Is one better over the other?

Thanks for all the help so far!

#5 The Mecha Streisand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

For sniping, the MAD is the better of the two. MAD-3R gives you 3x RT B hard points, and one of the others (5D or 5M) gives you two. Common loadouts center around a 3R with 3x AC5, or that other with 2x UAC/5. 3R has NASTY PPC quirks, too. Started the Marauder out with a 3R with Gauss and 2x ERPPC, which was pretty brutal at range but about useless up close.

WHM is a REALLY solid mech, but the hard points aren't really good for snipers. The arms are low-slung ("Cataphract Syndrome"), and the torso points are still not very high overall.

If you're looking for a good hillhump sniper, honestly, the RFL due out next week may be a better deal for you. Or the Jagermech. In a MEDIUM, Hunchbacks are okay and Blackjacks are the hotness (and will remain so after next week's nerf). Cicadas aren't BAD at it, either, to be honest, but that's a less-than-ideal use of their potential speed. In an ASSAULT, the Stalker is still the IS's top laser sniper, and the Battlemaster puts up a really good show too. LIGHT, the Raven is probably your girl.

Thunderbolt > Quickdraw for most, but that's also kind of a function of what you want out of the mech. IIRC, the QKD is potentially a bit quicker (engine cap is 360, which puts it at 97.2 km/h without speed tweak, and a little over 100 with, all phenomenal for a heavy). With even a 300, it keeps pace with the Clan heavies (quite an accomplishment) and can deliver some hurt with LLs or LPLs. But the TBolt is still a more survivable mech, and with good quirks to boot.

TL;DR- TDR>QKD, neither is really a top sniper, MAD>WHM for sniping, but there are better sniper options in all of the weight classes.

#6 PUFNSTUF

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

For mechs that can close the distance quick and be a close brawler would the TDR suffice?

#7 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

TDR is a great pick for fast heavy that can brawl. I run mine with ~300 STD engines so they can take lost a side and keep fighting.

Since you mentioned that this is for a CW drop deck, you should be thinking in terms of an assault, a light, and whatever fits in between. I run a Mauler, 2x Thunderbolts, and a Cicada (firestarter would also be a good option, and close to your ACH) most of the time. Not to say you can't use other mechs, but that will fit with the common strategies that most groups use (heaviest first, and a fast light last).

#8 TheMessy

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 11 February 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

TDR is a great pick for fast heavy that can brawl. I run mine with ~300 STD engines so they can take lost a side and keep fighting.

Since you mentioned that this is for a CW drop deck, you should be thinking in terms of an assault, a light, and whatever fits in between. I run a Mauler, 2x Thunderbolts, and a Cicada (firestarter would also be a good option, and close to your ACH) most of the time. Not to say you can't use other mechs, but that will fit with the common strategies that most groups use (heaviest first, and a fast light last).

Just get 4 thunderbolts or quickdraws, dont bother with having an assault/heavy/medium and light in your drop deck; this would have you leveling up 9 (or 12). Both thunderbolt drop decks and the quickdraws are amazing and you only have to level up 3 mechs. (and then buy multiple's of the best...2x 522 and 2x 9se, etc...)

#9 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

View PostPUFNSTUF, on 10 February 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

Out of the warhammer and marauder, they both seem very similar and ppc centric. Is one better over the other?

Thanks for all the help so far!

If forced to pick I'd say the Marauder is the smarter purchase. Optional jump jets on most, better location over all of hardpoints. Namely, its arms arent as useless as the Warhammer (though those Warhammer arms make for great shields).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users