No More Than 1 Trial Per Deck

86 replies to this topic

#1 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

I get that some people might not have a ton of mechs, and not have a full deck, or if the deck tonnage changes need to fill in a weight slot. I really do. But having new players drop into CW with a 4 trial deck (or 3 trial deck and their first mech) really isn't fun for anyone.

At least make folks go through the trouble of having 3 of their own mechs before dropping.

#2 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

Yes, something needs to be implemented. Wouldn't be adverse to NO trials in CW.

#3 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:17 PM

It's not the mechs as much as the players behind them. I've dropped in 4 trials for lolz and was still good for at least 1500 damage. I rather have the fresh off the boat, green, baby faced recruits be unable to drop into CW the moment they install the game.

#4 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 10 February 2016 - 11:56 PM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 10 February 2016 - 11:17 PM, said:

It's not the mechs as much as the players behind them. I've dropped in 4 trials for lolz and was still good for at least 1500 damage. I rather have the fresh off the boat, green, baby faced recruits be unable to drop into CW the moment they install the game.

But then Paul, Russ and all the other PGI guys wouldnt be allowed to play CW. Posted Image

#5 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:16 AM

I would not be here to respond to you were I locked out of CW when I was a fresh recruit with but one mech to my name.

Yes, it can be rough playing with newfolk. But honestly, the new folk are not the worst teammates to have in CW. Just be patient with em an do your best to help em out. We all had to start somewhere.

~Leone.

#6 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:00 AM

I have a better idea. No trials in the official tournaments.

#7 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:55 AM

Probably just lock out people during the very short cadet phase.

At this point you can assume they have at least 1 mech. 8 million + 4 if they do the tutorial.

These are often going to be the wrong mechs for CW but at least it wont be their absolute first time playing when they hop into a CW match.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 11 February 2016 - 03:09 AM.

#8 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

Make players complete cadet bonus.

I've dropped with several new players in trial mechs in CW over the past few weeks and won just as often as I've lost, even against some of the top tier players. It's not trial mechs that are an issue. Trial mechs are actually decent mechs.

#9 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

In the last BoT event I had a guy on my team firing MGs at the people coming through the gate. What's wrong with that you ask? Well, it was Boreal, and he was shooting as hard as he could manage, from beside the orbital cannon. Worst part of the entire thing was, he had a founders tag on. It's really not the mechs that are the issue.

#10 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 11 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

View PostHelsbane, on 11 February 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

In the last BoT event I had a guy on my team firing MGs at the people coming through the gate. What's wrong with that you ask? Well, it was Boreal, and he was shooting as hard as he could manage, from beside the orbital cannon. Worst part of the entire thing was, he had a founders tag on. It's really not the mechs that are the issue.

Posted Image

#11 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:07 AM

No trials and no mechs without being at elite level. This would balance cw more than anything.

#12 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:58 PM

There should be a trail only mode Posted Image

#13 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

I'd rather play with new players than most pugs much of the time, even if they are in trials. At least new players tend to actually listen to the match leader's commands and attempt to follow through on plans - half the "vet" players just do whatever they want then cry after they are perma dead while the unit of the match is starting their second push.

#14 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

View Postsycocys, on 14 February 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

I'd rather play with new players than most pugs much of the time, even if they are in trials. At least new players tend to actually listen to the match leader's commands and attempt to follow through on plans - half the "vet" players just do whatever they want then cry after they are perma dead while the unit of the match is starting their second push.

^^
new players tend to be more open to someone offering strategy options and doing some drop calling as opposed to getting indignant and acting like you just called their mom dirty names because you had the gall to suggest your team and/or teammate(s) use a little teamwork

#15 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

How dare people try to have fun...

I request....no I DEMAND that everyone build their own real mech and have it inspected and rated by the current CW players before being given entry to CW!
It's only fair.

#16 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:31 AM

View PostSandpit, on 11 February 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

Make players complete cadet bonus.

I've dropped with several new players in trial mechs in CW over the past few weeks and won just as often as I've lost, even against some of the top tier players. It's not trial mechs that are an issue. Trial mechs are actually decent mechs.

Prerequisites, like making them complete their Cadet mission or even successfully completing the tutorial is a start, but it still doesn't address that PGI has set up CW as a kindergarten for new players.

The solo queue has a matchmaker system designed to keep new players somewhat together. Yeah, I know, it works as well as any other band-aid that PGI has hastily slapped together, but it's there. CW doesn't have that at all.

Using the matchmaker AND keeping the T4-T5s separated from the T1-T3s would alleviate some of that problem. Only allowing T4s and T5s to drop with trials would go a long way, as well.

This still doesn't address the infinite amount of mechs used to attack/defend planets, nor does it address the lack of tangible reward for taking planets. I'm not in the crowd that says "just wait, PGI will fix it," I've been around long enough to know that they break anything they try to fix. At this point, CW is a joke.

#17 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:46 AM

No trials in deck.

#18 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:57 AM

Only available to Tier 3 or higher :)

#19 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:05 AM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 25 February 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:

Only available to Tier 3 or higher Posted Image

The sad thing is that terribad noobs can reach tier 3 easily, just grinding that xp bar.
I assume a lot of steamers already reached tier 3.

#20 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:33 AM

View PostZolaz, on 10 February 2016 - 11:56 PM, said:

But then Paul, Russ and all the other PGI guys wouldnt be allowed to play CW. Posted Image

Unless they drop CW in alts with a faction tag, I actually don't think they CAN play CW. Is "PGI" a playable faction in CW? I can't recall ever seeing it in a match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users