What If Gauss Just Couldn't Fire With Er-Ppc

4 replies to this topic

#1 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

Sorry for another Gauss thread but I still think we can find a better solution than having Gauss charge .After over a year of practice with Gauss my conclusion is still the same as it was on day one . Its annoying mechanic that more often than not holds you back from doing well .

Why did you nerf Gauss by charge mechanic ? 2xER-PPC+Gauss which was popular after Ghost heat .

Gauss should be a powerful weapon . 15+3 Tons and It explodes . No heat . Well I can fit hole lot more DHS by not spending 18 tons for this double edges weapon that is death sentence if enemy is near you( by which I mean 700-900 meters where lots of builds can do more damage anyway )

You did it to nerf a Combo . Gauss suffered overall as the result .

I have enough experience with Gauss to say that Gauss+Large lasers would not cause same issues . You can't really combo of Duration+Projectile because you have to shoot protective ahead of moving target and not miss duration damage .

I mean seriously . Can't we just separate Gauss from ER-PPC . maybe have 0,5 -1.0 seconds between one or the other can fire . The heaviest weapon in the game is outperformed by laser and AC vomit . Granted we will have to go over and nerf some of those IS cooldown bonuses for Gauss .

Gauss can do well on huge wide open maps . However I am not gona win a game firing 1 projectile at 1000 meters (if the map even allows it which some don't ) . As soon as enemy gets into 600 meter range they will wipe the floor with crap DPS that Gauss tends to create . We can't treat Gauss as a simple Sniper tool , it has to have some impact in mid range brawls where it sucks .

It all comes down to 1 major problem . Charge mechanic makes it so you cannot take advantage of short opportunities to fire . You can charge Gauss blindly entire time you play the game so it does not happen and you should (which is annoying and stupid )

I don't want to expose myself from the cover so I charge Gauss before I come out . You have limited time to fire and you have to do it so you not exposing yourself too long

Entire game I play with Gauss I hear:

Pheeeeeeeeee, Phooooooooooo

Stop for a second.... Oh crap I missed the guy moving between cover ..

Pheeeeeeeee, Phoooooooooooo

Common PGI . There has to be a better way . Its not fun . its annoying and it is not very applicable to what the game is . People 2 fire group microing 5 Large Lasers or spamming AC5 combos .

Edited by MadCat02, 11 February 2016 - 02:27 PM.

#2 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

Gauss charge never made sense. It was clear that PGI doesn't understand how capacitors work. However, it has been in so long I think we are all used to it.

#3 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:43 PM

It should be charged, then you can hold charge for a few seconds only, causing damage to that location like MASC and overheating, then fires when you release it, then it needs to charge. So you get a dead spot whilst charging.

Edited by Ember Stormfield, 11 February 2016 - 09:44 PM.

#4 Astarot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, Troy, hiding from the Romans

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

View PostDoctorDetroit, on 11 February 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

Gauss charge never made sense. It was clear that PGI doesn't understand how capacitors work. However, it has been in so long I think we are all used to it.

In theory it will. If an ideal capacitor is charged to a voltage and is disconnected it will hold it's charge.
In practice a capacitor has all kinds of non-ideal properties. Capacitors have 'leakage resistors'; you can picture them as a very high ohmic resistor (mega ohm's) parallel to the capacitor. When you disconnect a capacitor, it will be discharged via this parasitic resistor.
A big capacitor may hold a charge for some time, but I don't think you will ever get much further than 1 day in ideal circumstances. You should watch out if you have turned on the PC just 'a moment ago', but if you let it unplugged for a couple of hours and it will be fine.
The capacitors in the mains power supply are the most suspicious, these contain high voltages and high capacitance. If you don't know for sure, measure them. You can short them out if you find something, like the device Nick shows.. (it's probably a high voltage 1 kilo ohm resistor or something with some wires and isolation). But I suspect those are quite expensive and more designed for really high voltage situations (like kV's).
Or if you dare an old isolated screw driver (watch out for sparks though! :-) ). But I think it's obvious a very direct short will not enlarge the life of the components.

Source: http://electronics.s...nergy-over-time

#5 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:58 AM

Just forget about Gauss. Easy as this. You should use WEAPONS instead of gauss, you know Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users