- - - - -

Finer Points: Game Modes

3 replies to this topic

#1 Motormouth

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:50 PM

Running a Scout Raven 4X, LRMs and mPlas for spotting/ scouting and occasional rushing.

Tips on Game Modes, strategies, a "Do or Do not Do." I suppose.

I'd like to perform more effectively, but my role in accomplishing the objective is what I don't know.

I know the goals of all three, but I don't really know how to be an asset to my team.

#2 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:13 AM

Your build is suffering schitzophrenia.

Pick a primary and secondary role

#3 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:45 AM

Remove the LRMs!

Pick SRM

Edited by Ember Stormfield, 13 February 2016 - 01:45 AM.

#4 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:40 AM

If you have fun playing your own build, all's good. But if you want to be more efficient, the first step would be to optimize your build. The 4X build from metamechs is a solid starting point: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d9478c5d526ad2d

Lights don't really have the weight capacity to be remarkable LRM platforms, your DPS will be lowish, your ammo capacity will be low, and most crucially, you're losing one of the biggest advantages of playing a light: the ability to peek before your opponents can react. When you peek, you don't want to wait and get a lock before you shoot, you want to shoot before the enemy even notices you, and get out of sight. Longer range lasers are great for this.

LPL has a shortish burn time, and the 4X has quirks that makes it even faster, so you get a nice amount of damage in, super fast, and because it's not ammo dependant, you can keep doing that as long as you have life in your mech.

There are really no roles in the game, the side that does the most kills wins 95% of all matches, no matter what game mode, so concentrate on making sure YOU do a lot of damage, and you'll win a lot of matches.

There is a minimal amount of scouting in the game, as a fast mech, it's beneficial for you to go ahead and find out where the main body of the enemy team is. Spotting comes automatically when you target a mech with R, which you should do to see it's weak spots anyway. Never risk your life to hold a lock, you're worth much more to your team alive than holding that lock 2 seconds longer. If you want to be truly useful for your team's LRM mechs, carry an UAV, and drop it close to enemy mechs. Very low risk, slight cost, potentially very high reward.

As a mobile mech, it's good to move around in the fronts your team is fighting in, if only to have a better awareness as to where your presence is most useful. This goes hand in hand with the fact that you don't want to peek from the same spot twice if the enemy has noticed you. Move somewhere else for a while and come back when they've forgotten about you. In general, only expose yourself completely if heavier mechs in your team are pushing the enemy, or it's a mop-up of damaged mechs when the game is already won and you're still in a very good shape.

The game modes are very straightforward.

Skirmish: kill all enemies, the wall of text above should give some tips to that.

Assault: kill all enemies, disregard base capping. If enemy team is capping your base, and fighting somewhere else, this means they're split. Don't panic and run solo to your base, enemy team being split is a good thing. Your team should stay together and crush one group of enemies at a time, while you have the advantage in numbers.

Conquest, cap the cap points that are nearest to you/on the way to the battle, then disregard capping and kill all enemies. When your team has killed the majority of the enemy team, as a fast mech you should make sure the enemy won't win by points either, if they have a lead in points and caps, now's the time to cap. If they're very close to winning by points, just decap the cap points to neutral. The logic here is that in the early game, every mech that's not dealing damage, is giving the advantage to the enemy team in DPS, and the team that gets ahead in kills will have a much easier time to both get more kills and to have more mechs on the map capping points. The safest bet is always to kill. Also, it earns you a lot more c-bills and xp than cap running.

Take chances to know your limits. Play as aggressively as possible without stepping over the line of going suicidal. But most of all, have fun, and do experiment what works for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users