6 replies to this topic

#1 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

Why not take everyone step-by-step through the lore itself starting with the following events?

2784: Fall of the Star League. With General Kerensky and 80% of what was left of the SLDF gone, the Inner Sphere falls into chaos (IS vs IS).

2802: Exodus Civil War. After Kerensky's followers found the Pentagon Worlds they eventually also descend into anarchy, thus giving birth to the Clans on Strana Mechty who then have to retake their worlds (Clan vs Clan).

Both sides would essentially be separated from each other until the invasion begins and will get bonuses for using age accurate mechs (like the crabs for IS since they are from the SL).

After those starts for each side, there is plenty of material to work with as anyone familiar with the lore can tell you. Eventually, the invasion would start again and along with Tukayyid and the drive for Terra. At the same time though, the IS will have the chance to turn the tables and drive for Strana Mechty. See who gets their coveted prize first with the winners getting a lot of rewards. Make it a two-way race for a change. Does this sound good to you freebirth scum out there? I bet it does.

So this is what I am thinking. What about the rest of you? What do you think about this?

Edited by Jep, 11 February 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:37 AM

View PostJep, on 11 February 2016 - 10:08 PM, said:

Why not take everyone step-by-step through the lore itself starting with the following events?
So this is what I am thinking. What about the rest of you? What do you think about this?

I've only been playing on this account for a year or so, but even in that short time I have seen countless requests and proposals for lore based, events, resets, divisions, etc. Yet to see any be taken seriously by PGI. Can't imagine that is about to change. Its fun to chat about and conceptualize here, but alas, that is about as far as it appears it will go.

#3 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:48 AM

If only pgi would care about battletech.....

#4 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

First off you're asking for the game to span almost 400 years....probably a bit too much. But one thing your point drives home: While PGI can "claim" to be changing Battletech TT due to an online FPS being different than TT. They have no valid excuse for not including lore in their game.

I once saw a stat that there are well over a million printed words about BT history. That PGI has chosen to ignore this wealth of information is just laziness. They even hired Randall Bills as a consultant, his brief piece on the widowmaker was brilliant. Just let him write a short piece once a month to spark interest in this game. Hell Tina should run a weekly contest for players to present a short BT piece (say 3 paragraphs) about something in game relating it to lore. The winner gets 100k cbills and the story printed as a news item for that week. Call it a weekly Comstar update from the front...(For those who remember Battletechnology magazine)...

There is so much more that PGI could be doing relating MWO to the history of BT, that could spark interest in this game. Their failure in this aspect of BT is what will probably drive the old timers from this game. PGI will soon realize that people will get saturated with new mechs and their "packages" will stop selling. Then they will think it's time to "advance" the timeline, but new mechs means new weapons and more "balancing" with people (still) screaming that tier 1 cr4p still needs to be "viable" thus the new weapons will be nerfed into more of the same as we have now. (why use a RAC 5 over a AC 5 if it doesn't kill mechs faster). I don't see this path as having long term success. But if they could tap into the rich history of Battletech and give people a reason to play mechs or a reason to fight for a planet, they could sustain interest much better.

Stated bluntly, I did not buy a Marauder to own another 75 ton mech. I bought it because it was Grayson Carlyle's mech. I bought the Warhammer because it was on the cover of my BT game and I remember playing it many times in TT. If they ever release a Joanna Hellbringer (the mech she used on Twycross), or Mad Dog (used in her Falcon Guard days) or Summoner (the mech she killed Natasha Kerensky with) hero mech I will buy it immediately as she is easily my favorite BT character. That is the emotion that MWO should be trying to nurture in newer converts to BT.

I'll leave this bit from Robert Thurston (one of my favorite BT writers) here:

"To Joan­na, the ad­vance had nei­ther strate­gic, aes­thet­ic, nor emo­tion­al sig­nif­icance. Like an old-​time foot-​sol­dier, she was most con­cerned with the per­for­mance of du­ty. Were all the units in their prop­er places? Had the techs load­ed all the am­mo be­fore leav­ing the camp on Prezno Plain? Had she for­got­ten some­thing vi­tal in the short train­ing time she'd had to whip this mis­be­got­ten crew in­to shape?

She won­dered why she could nev­er lose this habit of think­ing like a train­ing of­fi­cer. There were times when she felt that train­ing was, fi­nal­ly, her spe­cial­ty. The Blood­name she had nev­er won, the mi­nor bat­tles she had fought, the ha­tred in­spired in her by al­most all oth­er hu­mans—none of it mat­tered when she was sat­is­fied with her per­for­mance of du­ty.

Star Cap­tain Joan­na, who had nev­er won her Blood­name, who now was among the ag­ing war­riors, could not know that among so many sol­diers, she was the ide­al Clan war­rior. Clan mil­itary the­orists as far back as Nicholas Keren­sky him­self would have ad­mired her to­tal ded­ica­tion. On a bat­tle­field she car­ried in no weight that could not in some way be used in the com­bat. Even her ha­tred, deep as it ran, was use­ful to the ob­jec­tives of war­fare. And in the en­tire Jade Fal­con Clan few war­riors could build up a killing growl like Joan­na."

Falcon Guard, 1991, Robert Thurston

THAT is why I love Battletech.....

Edited by J0anna, 12 February 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#5 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:26 AM

Good stuff. You almost brought a tear to my eye.

Okay, then perhaps they could do the BT timeline walk through when they eventually create a single player campaign (Russ did say that they wanted to do that later in his town hall).

Edited by Jep, 12 February 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#6 Madrummer

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:21 AM

J0anna, you are t3h w1nz.
No really, that's a bloody brilliant idea.

#7 MechWarrior4539981

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:04 AM

Yes i know right

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users