39 replies to this topic

#1 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

Do you use throttle decay and why? I am primarily a light pilot so I leave throttle decay on because it gives better acceleration/deceleration which helps maneuverability. I know a lot (most?) players turn throttle decay off on heavier mechs and I am currently working my way through some bigger mechs. I was curious if it is more advantageous to turn it off, or Is it just a personal preference?

#2 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

I have never used throttle decay since it was introduced. I use the number pad "0" quite a bit for quick max throttle and otherwise use W and S for incremental adjustments and obviously X for full stop. All personal preference mind you, but I don't like having to hold W.

Edited by Hobo Dan, 12 February 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#3 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

No, I don't want to have to hold down the W key all the time.

Instead, I bind the numbers 1-4 (above WASD) to 30%, 50%, 80%, and 100% throttle (respectively) so I can quickly jump to any speed I want and fine tune the speed with W/S keys.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 12 February 2016 - 10:17 AM.

#4 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

I don't use it; I don't like having to hold W down.

And yet half the time I find myself crushing W into a singularity as if that's going to make me go just a little bit faster.

#5 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

I just use W, S, and X. No throttle decay.

#6 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

throttle decay might give you an additional accel/decel boost on some mechs. I think Kanajashi had a good explanation on this.

At first I hated it, preferring the "old mechwarrior" way of setting throttle to constant certain %. I forced myself to use decay. I noticed much more efficient early to mid game peek and fire, exposing myself less to enemy fire.

So I would suggest you go for it, live through the adjustment, and it can possibly improve your piloting.

Also, it's easier to adjust and vary your speed making it harder for enemies to focus their fire on a specific component of yours.

#7 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

Ok another question: Is it worth the effort to retrain myself to not use throttle decay, since I am already comfortable with it on?

#8 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

If you like it on, no reason to change.

I have a binding for throttle at 100% and use throttle decay. You get optimal defilade acceleration in lights, but don't have to hold down w when applicable.

#9 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

Invert throttle gives me all the benefits of throttle decay with none of the lameness. No need to cramp my hands out holding keys down for minutes at a time when I can set W to full throttle and S to invert throttle, with X kept as stop.

#10 man du

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts
  • LocationIn my LCT-1V, chewing on your ankles!

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

I use a Joystick in my left hand for throttle and leg turning along with target lock (trigger) target overlay (up hat) ecm toggle (down hat) consumable slots 1 and 2 (left and right hat) jump jets (button 2) VOIP (button 3) and center legs on torso (button 4). My mouse is all my weapon groups, torso twist, zoom, heat and night vision and power. I don't even have to look at my keyboard when I play.

But as far as the throttle is concerned, its nice to immediately change speed levels with the slightest hand movement and only need my thumb and forefinger to do everything else.

I love the joystick because of immersion and my clumsy hands tend to get lost on a keyboard. I use the Thrustmaster 16000m, because it is ambidextrous.

#11 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 12 February 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

No need to cramp my hands out holding keys down for minutes at a time...

LOL!

#12 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:09 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 12 February 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

Do you use throttle decay and why? I am primarily a light pilot so I leave throttle decay on because it gives better acceleration/deceleration which helps maneuverability. I know a lot (most?) players turn throttle decay off on heavier mechs and I am currently working my way through some bigger mechs. I was curious if it is more advantageous to turn it off, or Is it just a personal preference?

Yes, the current throttle acceleration/decel speeds are very slow.
However, I can't stand Throttle Decay.

So, my work around is this:
Throttle decay is off.
"Set Throttle to 100%" = "2"
Full Stop = "X"
Step Throttle Up, Step Throttle Down = "W" and "S" , respectively.
(I forget what it's called in the keybindings, so i'll explain it) It incrementally sets the throttle up or down by 10% i think. It's much faster than the default accel/decel throttle. And I've noticed even in my locust that ithe incremental throttle restricts you a lot less than the default acceleration. But in my locust, if I want full throttle, I press 2. and if i want to stop, I press X. It works really well if you want to make snappy movements.

If you're close to a mech that has ERPPC's, max throttle/full stop and the Step Throttle Down keybindings basically make you invincible in a locust. you can move so erratically. It helps too if you have a feeling for how long weapon cooldowns are, so you can move at the last second.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 12 February 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#13 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,529 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 12 February 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Ok another question: Is it worth the effort to retrain myself to not use throttle decay, since I am already comfortable with it on?

I've heard a few light pilots using it just when they play lights, and considering the nature of light mechs and how it is a bit easier to stutter step using throttle decay, I wouldn't say it is a bad thing. For mediums and up though, you should probably turn it off.

#14 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:20 AM

Someone on OutreachHPG gave me the tip to bind
"Step throttle up" to the W key
and
"Step throttle down" to the S key.

It's just like turning decay off, but it has the accel/decel rates of throttle decay I believe. I can't drive with decay on, so this approximates it for me. I like to cruise without pressing W, and sometimes use #4-5 for other weapons groups.

#15 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostBoulangerie, on 12 February 2016 - 11:20 AM, said:

Someone on OutreachHPG gave me the tip to bind
"Step throttle up" to the W key
and
"Step throttle down" to the S key.

It's just like turning decay off, but it has the accel/decel rates of throttle decay I believe. I can't drive with decay on, so this approximates it for me. I like to cruise without pressing W, and sometimes use #4-5 for other weapons groups.

Ah yes, that's what it's called.
Very helpful. It's a lot faster than default throttle accel/decel

#16 Percimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

Q= throttle down
E= Throttle up
And WASD,

Best of both world.

#17 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:24 AM

I use throttle decay across the board. MWO is still a shooter, I see no down-side to having to hold "W" to go forward, and so I see no reason to change a habit that's been ingrained into me for the last 18 years.

#18 Madrummer

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

Throttle decay is only ever a decent idea for a fast-moving light like a spider, and even then it pales in comparison for usefulness.

#19 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

If I am moving forwards I am moving forwards full speed.
If I am moving backwards I am moving backwards full speed.

I play a lot of FPS games and I am used to WADS, my hand is already there as I am steering with A and D anyway and it feels more intuitive to me.

The choosing to go slower with a sliding scale is much like the walk/run toggle on most games. It's a thing, but it's not a useful thing. If my Mech would fall at high speeds while turning fast or if my aim was shoddy at maximum speed I would consider it, but even then I can control my speed easily by feathering the key if in a fast Mech.

Edited by Aetes Nakatomi, 12 February 2016 - 11:39 AM.

#20 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

View PostMadrummer, on 12 February 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Throttle decay is only ever a decent idea for a fast-moving light like a spider, and even then it pales in comparison for usefulness.

What use do you get having it off? That is what I am trying to figure out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users