• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 18 February 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

How is that different from now?

And your last point is asinine, no offense. I'm an IS loyalist and have run a clan mech all of one time (it was a trial and I wanted to make a point about the damage potential of Clan mechs). I'm not alone there: plenty of people don't want to run Clan mechs for a variety of reasons.

Not everyone wants the crutch of supermechs.
No, you're right, SOME people would continue using IS mechs regardless.

But very, very few. If you made IS mechs so weak that 10 Clan mechs = 12 IS mechs (and that's a huge gap, even though it doesn't look so much on the face of it), there would be a definite exodus from IS to clans. Initially, a big chunk, but over time?

People, for all their talk, don't like losing. And given equal skill, in a 10v12 balance scheme, and IS player would lose to the Clan player almost every time.

Now, lots of people say they like to play the underdog, fighting against the odds. Some - very few- legitimately mean it. But in almost every case, those people change their minds when presented with a situation where they'll simply end up losing repeatedly in a game like this.

Consider: as the meta shifts, how much you see mech usage change right now, even with minor balance changes. It's huge.

You'd have a couple - a precious few - holding out for their faction and the vast, vast majority shift over to clans, because getting your *** kicked repeatedly gets old really fast.

And, yeah, its nothing like now. Clan vs IS balance is the best its ever been, with IS sporting a good many truly tier 1 mechs. But even when it was poor, 10v12? Get two early kills without significant damage to your team in a quick play match and that match was - and is - over.

#362 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 18 February 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

My point being that each team has an equal chance of having clan mechs on their team. As long as that averages out, who cares? I play plenty of Quick Play and CW.
So more stomps is fine, because you're as like to be stomped than be stomping? (Which is mathematically incorrect: if you play Clan, you'd be more likely to be stomping, as your team has +1 garaunteed Clan mech)

If you're really that convinced it would ruin Quick Play for life or whatever, then just balance the number of Clan mechs per team. I just notice that in nearly every Quick Play game I have, the numbers are usually pretty balanced. Usually about five Clan mechs and seven IS mechs.
out matchmaker barely functions as it is due to population issues at all but the best times, you want to make it worse by adding another set of buckets with another failure case?

Good plan.

#363 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 February 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

No, you're right, SOME people would continue using IS mechs regardless.

But very, very few. If you made IS mechs so weak that 10 Clan mechs = 12 IS mechs (and that's a huge gap, even though it doesn't look so much on the face of it), there would be a definite exodus from IS to clans. Initially, a big chunk, but over time?

People, for all their talk, don't like losing. And given equal skill, in a 10v12 balance scheme, and IS player would lose to the Clan player almost every time.

Now, lots of people say they like to play the underdog, fighting against the odds. Some - very few- legitimately mean it. But in almost every case, those people change their minds when presented with a situation where they'll simply end up losing repeatedly in a game like this.

Consider: as the meta shifts, how much you see mech usage change right now, even with minor balance changes. It's huge.

You'd have a couple - a precious few - holding out for their faction and the vast, vast majority shift over to clans, because getting your *** kicked repeatedly gets old really fast.

And, yeah, its nothing like now. Clan vs IS balance is the best its ever been, with IS sporting a good many truly tier 1 mechs. But even when it was poor, 10v12? Get two early kills without significant damage to your team in a quick play match and that match was - and is - over.

But that was CW 1 and, for the majority of the time, CW 2. From the looks of things, it'll be CW 3, too. I'm not saying give the Clans the TT values - that would be ridiculous. But Clans as they are now and IS mechs without quirks and THEN go from there.

Trying to get Clans v IS is just going to lead to this constant push and pull of disaffected IS players vs sobbing Clan players, and the pendulum will just keep swinging back and forth.

And "good many" is a bit hyperbolic: the IS has a handful of specific mech variants that, through the gift of hardpoint location AND quirks, are able to kind of match with the average Clan mech.

#364 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:29 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 February 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

So more stomps is fine, because you're as like to be stomped than be stomping? (Which is mathematically incorrect: if you play Clan, you'd be more likely to be stomping, as your team has +1 garaunteed Clan mech)

Totally not a strawman. good job.

#365 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 18 February 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

Totally not a strawman. good job.

You said:

My point being that each team has an equal chance of having clan mechs on their team. As long as that averages out, who cares? I play plenty of Quick Play and CW.

"As long as that averages out, who cares?"

The actual distibution of IS mechs and Clan mechs would be pretty random; as likely to be heavy on one side or the other as not. Sure, in the grand scheme of things, that may average out, but match to match it won't. If mechs are balanced that 10xClan = 12xIS, then every Clan mech on your team = effectively 1.2 mechs. Thus, there will be more stomps.

How is that a strawman? That's directly the problem.

#366 Ken Burkhart

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

For the few of us that noticed the LRM/Bay-door problem occuring with several mechs, support did at the least acknowledge it. At first they weren't able to reproduce it, because they were doing it in the testing grounds only, and for whatever reason it doesn't happen there. I made some video with a unit member in a private match, which makes the problem quite obvious, and they checked out that video so hopefully it will be fixed. I would have preferred it in a quick hot-fix, but by now it may not make it in until next month....

#367 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

OMG!!!

The hands really move, they move!!!!

And the joystick in leather, a great step forward for MWO.

It's just eye candy but i still love it, Seriously.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users