Third Week

27 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

Ok i am just beginning to start my third week of active playing after time in academy, and i am lasting alot longer in the matches and doing more damage and this with only 2 main weapons, a er ppc and a lrm 20 with a med laser for backup. my average damage is around 160 per match now with sometimes i do in excess of 400 to 500. Today in my first few matches i have been the last one standing even though have been killed each time.

However that being said, i know that for the most part when the ready screen is up and the other sides pilots have some house or clan affiliation and my side dont i can guess really accvurately the result and that is a bug stomp of my team. I know it has happened to everyone but man does that feeling of getting bug stomped get old.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

what Mech are you using?
I would not consider 1 ML to be adequate for backup weapons, if you have the hardpoints possibly drop the LRM20 down to a 10 or 15 to free up tonage for 2-3 more MLs.

believe it or not an LRM15 tends to do more damage than an LRM20 due to tighter grouping (meaning if you have a clear shot all the missiles are likely to hit while with a 20 some may miss) and its faster recycle time means it does not sacrifice much potential DPS (3.16 instead of 3.64) but saves 3 tons and 2 slots.

#3 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 14 February 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

Ok i am just beginning to start my third week of active playing after time in academy, and i am lasting alot longer in the matches and doing more damage and this with only 2 main weapons, a er ppc and a lrm 20 with a med laser for backup. my average damage is around 160 per match now with sometimes i do in excess of 400 to 500. Today in my first few matches i have been the last one standing even though have been killed each time.

Get rid of the LRMs, they only useful on a small amount of maps, more likely to hit a building than the mech.

In my Hellbringer I am running 3x C-PML and 2x C-ERML, generally firing all at the same time.

Staying alive and causing damage takes time and actually having team mates that do that as well.

Try to stay with the other pilots.

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 14 February 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

However that being said, i know that for the most part when the ready screen is up and the other sides pilots have some house or clan affiliation and my side don't I can guess really accurately the result and that is a bug stomp of my team. I know it has happened to everyone but man does that feeling of getting bug stomped get old.

Being in a unit does not mean they are tier 1, if you drop solo you will be matched with the same level.

But joining a unit and dropping with them does make you better.

#4 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

i have a griffin 3m and i am not sure i have the hardpoints to add more ml.

i am thinking of joining a team but i want to be more experienced. am now being able to run a full tilt and starting to hit(mostly with Lrms true) but sometimes with er ppc as well

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 14 February 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

i am thinking of joining a team but i want to be more experienced. am now being able to run a full tilt and starting to hit(mostly with Lrms true) but sometimes with er ppc as well

You do not have the hardpoints for more ML, but you have 4 missile hardpoints.
my suggestions would be:

if you want to stick with LRMs go 4 LRM5 instead of 1 LRM20, chain fire the LRM5s and they will core out the enemy CT rather than splash damage all over the Mech as well as saving you 2 tons, possibly swap the ML for a TAG.

if you want close range backup weapons swap the LRM for SRMs, ether 4 SRM4 or 4 SRM2, then chain fire for accuracy or alpha for a big punch.

if you are having trouble hitting with the PPC try changing it out for lasers, the LArge Pulse is shorter range but the same tonage and easier to hit with, the ERLL is lighter with the same range, or if you are sticking with LRMs a pair of MPL would make good backup weapons

Most units are happy to take less experienced players and help train them up, just check out the community warfare forums when you are ready, or check out units mentioned in player signatures

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 14 February 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#6 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

Welcome to MWO Douglas.
The beginning is hard in here. But it seems like you already got your first good rounds, that's good!

The aiming can be quite hard, especially because most weapons needs to be played quite differently. Because of this it is indeed a good idea to concentrate on only a few types for the beginning.

Joining a unit can be a good way to improve your gaming experiance, but in my opinion you are right: First getting used tot he game and then joining a team. You need to now which unit suits you and this need you to know your own playstile.

#7 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

View PostEmber Stormfield, on 14 February 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Get rid of the LRMs, they only useful on a small amount of maps, more likely to hit a building than the mech.

In my Hellbringer I am running 3x C-PML and 2x C-ERML, generally firing all at the same time.

Staying alive and causing damage takes time and actually having team mates that do that as well.

Try to stay with the other pilots.

Being in a unit does not mean they are tier 1, if you drop solo you will be matched with the same level.

But joining a unit and dropping with them does make you better.

Being in a unit does not make you better. It does probably make it easier to get better more quickly though. It is much easier to give advice to someone based on the things you see while playing with them, and easier to take that advise from those you are familiar with. The feedback is also generally better used because it comes when your actions are fresh in your mind.

#8 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:06 PM

ok i know it was covered elsewhere but how to set up a chain fire? I am trying to do more damage and get more kills at same time. One thing i did do is get the long range zoom so i can spot targets and fire from longer range.

#9 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 14 February 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

ok i know it was covered elsewhere but how to set up a chain fire? I am trying to do more damage and get more kills at same time. One thing i did do is get the long range zoom so i can spot targets and fire from longer range.

Use the left right arrow keys to highlight a group and press the backspace key to turn it on and off...
Could be another key, I always get it confused. Best to check your key mappings for the right one.

#10 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

ok bilbo you was correct on how to start chain fire and i also changed the lrm 20 for 4x lrm 5 and added a ams with the spare tonnage. hopefully that will allow me to last a little longer now.

#11 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

If you are going to use multiple LRM-5s, I would advise you also set some triggers where you can fire them in groups of 2.
As you get more experienced you will become more aware of when your lock time on target may be relatively short, in which case chain fire may not be as effective as cluster.
When you play against experienced players this becomes especially true, as an experienced pilot is not likely to just stand out in the open and let you rain down hell on them.

#12 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:57 PM

Drop the Medium laser and install a tag... LRM's you really need it

#13 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:57 PM

i was able to experiment in the last match with the chain fire and pressing the number key chain fired and right clicking mouse group fired.

#14 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 14 February 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

Most units prefer taking less experienced pilots, and helping them build their skills and styles up from zero. So don't worry about needing to be experienced to play with a unit.

People in units will goof around as often as they play "professionally"

Edited by IraqiWalker, 14 February 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#15 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

ok once i started using the chain firing on my lrms i was able to get into 4 wins in a row by making key usints cut and run from a constant rain of lrms. strange how constant pounding shapes their thinking. last one alone was memorable to me. a KC and a TWF both tried to cross a bridge in the open across water and i changed their thinking and ripping the TWF open for someone else to kill. As a side note my psr is starting to creep back up.

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 14 February 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

ok once i started using the chain firing on my lrms i was able to get into 4 wins in a row by making key usints cut and run from a constant rain of lrms. strange how constant pounding shapes their thinking. last one alone was memorable to me. a KC and a TWF both tried to cross a bridge in the open across water and i changed their thinking and ripping the TWF open for someone else to kill. As a side note my psr is starting to creep back up.

Looks like you're improving, and figuring out how to get into your opponents' heads. Good job, XD.

#17 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:51 PM

http://imgur.com/Z1h6gPQ

#18 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

View PostBilbo, on 14 February 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

Being in a unit does not make you better.

SWOL has training days, and so I have found it great!

Edited by Ember Stormfield, 14 February 2016 - 06:59 PM.

#19 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:04 PM

View PostBilbo, on 14 February 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

Being in a unit does not make you better. It does probably make it easier to get better more quickly though. It is much easier to give advice to someone based on the things you see while playing with them, and easier to take that advise from those you are familiar with. The feedback is also generally better used because it comes when your actions are fresh in your mind.

Doesn't that mean being in a unit makes you better? Yes, you don't immediately level up once you sign with a unit, but being in a unit helps you become a better player.

#20 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 14 February 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

As a primarily heavy/assault pilot, I almost always run an AMS on my mechs because I know I cant outrun an LRM rain, but in the event I am in a mech that either doesnt have an AMS hardpoint and I have missiles just constantly raining on me, I pretty much drop whatever firefight I am in and try to find cover. Having a constant rain of missiles is ******* hell in heavier mechs. An AMS can eat up everything except lrm20 salvo's, so if I have an AMS I dont give two dog shits about missiles coming at me. But without AMS (and almost everyone in this game will tell you to never run AMS, because LRM's are **** tier and only idiots run LRMS's [which they are completely wrong about, LRMs are a great weapon, its just wielded by people who dont understand the weapon]) having a never ending rain of missiles pelting you is a massive mind game that completely messes up your concentration.

This is just a matter of preference but I would recommend running 2 lrm10's rather than running a constant stream of 5's. Its less likely that your missiles will be eaten up by AMS's, and you still get a solid grouping without sacrificing anything. Dont worry about getting the artemis upgrade, its only worth it on lrm15 or 20, and you only get the bonuses if you have LOS on the target, which isnt worth it.

Good luck on the fields of battle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users