Light Or Another Medium?

26 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:04 AM

Trying to decide what mech to get next. Currently own the SHD-5M, 2D and 2D2 and used them to great extent. Mostly as a support or medium-long range harasser since it doesn't has the speed nor the posture/twist/armor to last long in closer range engagements. So i kept to this:

SHD-5M - All range fire support : UAC/5 + 2MPL + 2LRM5
SHD-2D - Medium range support : AC/10 + 3MPL
SHD-2D2 - Long range support: 3LRM5+LRM10+2MPL (Way too easy to get alot of dmg/kills)

They're all mastered now, so i'm looking for a new mech. Prefferably light-medium and taking lasers>missiles>ballistics + smaller posture and JJ's. I have been playing the trial jenner and i like it but do need more practice with lights. (Only got like 250damg in one).

I've gotten good info here before but i am sure i'm not going to a higher weight class then medium now, don't like the large posture and the attention it draws on the field Posted Image

Edited by DoubleFlip, 16 February 2016 - 01:30 AM.

#2 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:31 AM

If you want PURE THRILLS and want to sharpen you piloting...

Buy some Locusts and an XL190 engine to share among them.

Become a Locust pilots and i hear there is some secret society you can join that has the secret to winning MWO.

#3 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:34 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 17 February 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

Become a Locust pilots and i hear there is some secret society you can join that has the secret to winning MWO.

You mean the positioning and situational awareness you have to learn in a mech that is as fragile as the lolcust?

#4 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 17 February 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

If you want PURE THRILLS and want to sharpen you piloting...

Buy some Locusts and an XL190 engine to share among them.

Don't say that out loud, then it won't be a secret anymore ;)

OP - locusts are great fun if you are a "learn the hard way" kind of person, if so I highly recommend them. If you find yourself discouraged by repeated losses on your way to learning, then I would recommend something along the lines of the firestarters or Arctic Cheetahs. Jenners are a little fragile so you have to be really careful with positioning (a good skill to learn). Cicadas are a cross between a fat Jenner and a slow locust with a little extra armor. I like them but they are an acquired taste. Also, try out the Raven champion as a good example of a light sniper.

Blackjacks are good smaller profile mediums with both ballistic and energy boating variants and crabs are also a good smaller profile medium but they are exclusively energy load outs.

Griffins and wolverines are good missile carriers with a similar profile to your shadowhawks but more agile.

Edited by 3xnihilo, 17 February 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#5 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:51 PM

Light mechs are gross....... That's my opinion. So if I were you, I'd stick to mediums. Hunchbacks, Griffins, and Wolverines are all fun. Well, the only medium I've piloted is the hunchback, but I hear the others are fun. Regardless, if you wish to remain a decent human being, stay away from light mechs. They are evil.

Peace, and have fun

#6 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:45 AM

View PostKimberm1911, on 17 February 2016 - 11:51 PM, said:

Light mechs are gross....... That's my opinion. So if I were you, I'd stick to mediums. Hunchbacks, Griffins, and Wolverines are all fun. Well, the only medium I've piloted is the hunchback, but I hear the others are fun. Regardless, if you wish to remain a decent human being, stay away from light mechs. They are evil.

Peace, and have fun

Hah, that's quite harsh on the lights :D. I'm still considering what to get. Either a heavier light or a light medium with a small posture and JJ's prefferably. Played the jenner over the couple past 2days and my damage is around 300-350 now with between 4-9assists. In my shawks i consistently got 250-350 with peaks to 900 but those were exeptional matches.

#7 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

Jenners are a nasty breed of light mech. They are fatter, so they are easier to hit, but their firepower is nice for a light mech. That coupled with their hideously ugly form, which is an abomination to all that is good in the world, makes it a decent light mech. Firestarters are better in the current meta though (I believe.). I don't think your shadow hawk builds are quite optimized for the current meta game. That might be why your damage is staying in the 300 range (Which isn't bad.). Perhaps if you gave metamechs a glance you could make your shadow hawks even better. They are a solid medium for fire support, and even for some light brawling. Griffins have the jump jets you are looking for, and have a ton of build variety. However, they aren't exactly small. Cicadas are a nice light...... Er...... Medium mech. However, I think you best bet is the Blackjack, low profile, great firepower, and the JJ's you are looking for. It is a dangerous mech, and can easily rip open a heavier mech if the heavies pilot isn't paying attention. The one downside is you probably will want to run an XL in it, just so you can squeeze as much firepower out of it as you can. Overall, I would get the mech you like the look of the best, which shouldn't be the jenner because that mech is ugly.

Peace, and have fun

#8 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

This might be an unpopular suggestion but if you want a light medium, long-range harasser with jumpjets then I'd recommend the Vindicator (the 1AA particularly). It's pretty nimble and the 1AA thrives with PPCs. Flank, jump up high, strike, reposition, repeat.

Edited by DrRedCoat, 18 February 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#9 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

The blackjack is a really solid medium with jj's and a small profile. But seriously, if you enjoy the trial Jenner and can pull 300 damage out of it, get a firestarter. You could probably expect another 100-200 more damage with an optimized build over the Jenner. They have great hitboxes, speed, and jj's. Also, give the Arctic cheetah trial mech a few runs. It is a good little mech similar to the FS-9

#10 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:51 PM

View PostKimberm1911, on 18 February 2016 - 02:16 PM, said:

Jenners are a nasty breed of light mech. They are fatter, so they are easier to hit, but their firepower is nice for a light mech. That coupled with their hideously ugly form, which is an abomination to all that is good in the world, makes it a decent light mech. Firestarters are better in the current meta though (I believe.). I don't think your shadow hawk builds are quite optimized for the current meta game. That might be why your damage is staying in the 300 range (Which isn't bad.). Perhaps if you gave metamechs a glance you could make your shadow hawks even better. They are a solid medium for fire support, and even for some light brawling. Griffins have the jump jets you are looking for, and have a ton of build variety. However, they aren't exactly small. Cicadas are a nice light...... Er...... Medium mech. However, I think you best bet is the Blackjack, low profile, great firepower, and the JJ's you are looking for. It is a dangerous mech, and can easily rip open a heavier mech if the heavies pilot isn't paying attention. The one downside is you probably will want to run an XL in it, just so you can squeeze as much firepower out of it as you can. Overall, I would get the mech you like the look of the best, which shouldn't be the jenner because that mech is ugly.

Peace, and have fun

Will look into the firestarter, had nice results with it back in the days when it was a trial mech. Idk about the blackjack nerfs though, should check.

View PostDrRedCoat, on 18 February 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

This might be an unpopular suggestion but if you want a light medium, long-range harasser with jumpjets then I'd recommend the Vindicator (the 1AA particularly). It's pretty nimble and the 1AA thrives with PPCs. Flank, jump up high, strike, reposition, repeat.

Not really a fan of ppc's, i miss quite alot with them. Also the amount of heat they generate is quite high.

View Post3xnihilo, on 18 February 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

The blackjack is a really solid medium with jj's and a small profile. But seriously, if you enjoy the trial Jenner and can pull 300 damage out of it, get a firestarter. You could probably expect another 100-200 more damage with an optimized build over the Jenner. They have great hitboxes, speed, and jj's. Also, give the Arctic cheetah trial mech a few runs. It is a good little mech similar to the FS-9

Tried the cheetah, but not a clan fan. I like the IS mechs more. Will try out the FS and BJ. Trialed the Raven yesterday and pulled 600damg out of it. Longer range laser seem to work well on a highly mobile ecm platform.

#11 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 18 February 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

I must say, the cheetah is kinda growing on me. Feels quite solid for a light. Runs hot though.

#12 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 19 February 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

I must say, the cheetah is kinda growing on me. Feels quite solid for a light. Runs hot though.

Yeah, you would like firestarters. They are very similar to cheetahs, but IS tech

#13 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 19 February 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Yeah, you would like firestarters. They are very similar to cheetahs, but IS tech

Only thing that sometimes annoys is when the other team is on a hill camping, you can't really do much with the limited weapon range.

#14 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 19 February 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

Only thing that sometimes annoys is when the other team is on a hill camping, you can't really do much with the limited weapon range.

Ah, maybe what you want is the 1 erll, 4 ml wlf-2 wolfhound.

#15 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 19 February 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

The trick is finding a good balance between damage and heat. Try 6 ersl, 5 spl, or 3 mpl. The more of them you can put in the torsos the better, IMO.

The Wolfhound is an excellent alternative to the Firestarter. Small profile and a tighter cluster of torso energy weapons. The only drawback is the lack of jumpjets, although you get used to that pretty quickly.

#16 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:21 AM

Well my light adventure is kinda failing, just got beaten by an AC/10 urbie when in a Artic cheetah... so i doubt if i'm a good light pilot.

#17 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:52 PM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 20 February 2016 - 05:21 AM, said:

Well my light adventure is kinda failing, just got beaten by an AC/10 urbie when in a Artic cheetah... so i doubt if i'm a good light pilot.

Urbies are OP, so don't feel bad (sarcasm). It could have also been a lucky shot. Getting hit by an AC 10 in a light mech is very bad. It doesn't really matter where you got hit either because all your components are important, especially your legs. I don't pilot light mechs, because they are gross, but from what I've heard they are the most difficult weight class to pilot. They are terribly unforgiving, and take a while to master. Lights also suffer from, "no real incentive to play them syndrome." While I guess some people may enjoy running around at 100+ KPH taking pot shots at people, I don't, and since light mechs aren't going to bank me as many C-bills as my assault mechs, (assault mechs are the most glorious mechs in game.) I don't have any reason to bother with them.

#18 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 17 February 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

You mean the positioning and situational awareness you have to learn in a mech that is as fragile as the lolcust?

No, those are a given for survival.

The secret society is the real deal. Like Masons but locust pilots.

#19 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 20 February 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Like Masons but locust pilots.

I can confirm this, as I am both a Mason and a Locust pilot.

#20 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 20 February 2016 - 05:21 AM, said:

In all actuality the 360deg torso rotation on the urbanmech makes it a good light killer since you can't circle them and get out of their line of fire. So, don't feel bad. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users