If I Were To Purchase One Mech For Cw, What Would It Be?

116 replies to this topic

#101 Fractis Zero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 102 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, Canada

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

Many of your issues might be selection of mechs in CW. I always start a CW match with a long range sniper in most maps (especially Boreal Vault) as the start is a lot of long range sniping. As the match progresses it usually becomes a trade of teams pushing where brawling mechs can be very effective. Just remember when you are brawling to be patient and use cover until they get within your range.

My drop decks usually consists of Long range heavy, medium range heavy, brawler heavy, brawler medium. Dropped in that order. By the time i get to the medium it is either a last desperate push or mop up duty.

#102 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

try these builds.
STK-5S
I know you said you used this with no luck, but this mech is GREAT at cw when defending or holding territrory. Use it only on those CW gamemodes and you will have better luck. Dont attack with it.
STK-5M
THis is my favorite stalker. I dont know if brawing is your thing, but you willl have success with it (it attacks and defends well in CW, too.)
STK-4N
Now this build will seem a bit strange to you tryhard dudes out there ;) but i have had success in this stalker. I also think i will suit your playstlye best, DavidStarr. It is great for defending (stakers are good defense mechs) You could attack with this too, just support though (dont be a meatshield) and it will work well)

thx for reading
-Wind

#103 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 27 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

View PostWindscape, on 27 March 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

THis is my favorite stalker. I dont know if brawing is your thing, but you willl have success with it (it attacks and defends well in CW, too.)

Thanks for the suggestions. I think brawling is my thing, but my 5M build (inspired by Metamechs) totally didn't work. My general problem with Stalkers is how squishy they are, dying almost instantly once they start taking fire. Obviously, you can't brawl in a squishy mech.
A question about your 4N build: why run LRMs on 4N when you have 3H? I've had a 2xA-LRM20 3H, and while it wasn't great, it's certainly better than any other of my STKs.

View PostNeput Z34, on 27 March 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

While selecting a drop deck for CW, keep in mind the different maps that are out there. Cold or Hot, Long Range or Short Range, and select the drop deck to fit the map and your own play style.

Good point, and thanks for the sample loadouts.

Edited by DavidStarr, 27 March 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#104 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 27 March 2016 - 08:57 PM, said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I think brawling is my thing, but my 5M build (inspired by Metamechs) totally didn't work. My general problem with Stalkers is how squishy they are, dying almost instantly once they start taking fire. Obviously, you can't brawl in a squishy mech.
A question about your 4N build: why run LRMs on 4N when you have 3H? I've had a 2xA-LRM20 3H, and while it wasn't great, it's certainly better than any other of my STKs.

well for the 5M mine has a higher alpha and better cooling efficiency, and since i have 4srm4s, there is no ghost heat too. The metamech one is better for mid range dmg, but a true brawler keeps his mech safe at long distances then brings hell to the enemies up close. About the 4n, I havent driven the 3H, (lrms arent very appealing to me), and 2 RM15's perform better than 20's because they have a shorter cool own, weigh less and have less slots (room for more ammo and more dmg), and lrm15s still pack a decent punch. If you dont have the 4N, try my build with the 3H's lrm20s instead. (maybe the quirks will make it fire like lrm15's :)) This STK-3H was the most similar build i could come up with for the 3H that was similar to my 4N

#105 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostWindscape, on 28 March 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

This STK-3H was the most similar build i could come up with for the 3H that was similar to my 4N

Nice one! Just slightly different from my 3H build, but may well be different enough to actually be measurably better.

#106 AdolfGhandi

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 14 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:44 AM

So many lurmz

#107 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 28 March 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

Nice one! Just slightly different from my 3H build, but may well be different enough to actually be measurably better.

awesome! I hope it works for you :)

#108 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

View PostAdolfGhandi, on 29 March 2016 - 03:44 AM, said:

So many lurmz

All of them coming your way, so brace yourself.

#109 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

Archer patch turned into Lurmageddon. Also I'm opposed to ever using a Stalker strictly on principle. It looks dumb to me. BLR BL or BNC for pulse spam.

#110 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostKrocodockle, on 30 March 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

Archer patch turned into Lurmageddon. Also I'm opposed to ever using a Stalker strictly on principle. It looks dumb to me. BLR BL or BNC for pulse spam.

I didn't notice much difference, what did the patch change that's related to LRMs? Other than Archer, ofc, but I'm not convinced it's even better than the good old Cat.

Frankly, I tried to make LPL Stalker work and just wasn't impressed with the sustained DPS. Alpha is fine, but once you start riding that red line and the overheat warning, your DPS goes way down.
I love my 8xMPL BNC-3M, though! And the new trial AWS is not too shabby.

#111 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

My favorites are tdr 9se 3 lpl build, 5ss 6 mpl + 1 srm6a (eats assaults like nobodies business. First time i took it out i did 1000+ damage, while solo killing a kgc + exe) and BJ-A with 3 lpl. Anything with pulse lasers and srms I'm instantly in love with.

#112 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:44 PM

View PostKrocodockle, on 30 March 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

i think the stalker looks like a dog :P

#113 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

View PostWindscape, on 30 March 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

i think the stalker looks like a dog :P

It is the unholy spawn of a T-Rex and Snoopy.

Edited by mikerso, 30 March 2016 - 03:07 PM.

#114 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

View Postmikerso, on 30 March 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

It is the unholy spawn of a T-Rex and Snoopy.

They do have this disturbing/uncanny dino-like look to them... especially when in herds...

#115 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:20 PM

They have the face of a Goodyear Blimp. Really though it looks like a catapult that should be on Biggest Loser.

#116 Timberwolf5

Rookie

• The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

Atlas S...

#117 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine