If I Were To Purchase One Mech For Cw, What Would It Be?

116 replies to this topic

#41 Nyuuu

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostFancymarine, on 16 February 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

i love the jägermech jm-6s to be precise (run it with 4x ac5) and get regular 1000damage matches Posted Image

Quote for the win, though get the DD, it has the better quirk for the 3xuac5 "meta" build.
Just bough my fourth one in the recent sale, though still my only mech with any duplicates.

Yes it is that good...

#42 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:47 PM

View PostWindscape, on 17 February 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

does this mean war?

If you can get down here and If it would wake the deadbeats in house Marik up then sure. They've been in pansey mode since the Liao war stopped.

If I was to put my serious hat on for a second I would recommend the OP go ahead and get the K2 if he has invested time into catapults already. It has unique loadouts to the other cats. I'd also recommend putting the A1 in a splat config. I'm assuming it is not currently so since you were dismissive of the heat perks eliting your mechs can give.

As for future chassis. I'm seeing Stalker mentioned in this thread and I would echo that as a solid choice. A lot depends on your playstyle. For simple pick up and play you will want somthing that just boats something. Laserboating a quickdraw, thunderbolt, or wolverine. Jagers, Maulers, and the king crab have some pretty good dakka setups. Missiles the Cat and upcoming archer will be your go-to.

#43 LoganVI

Rookie

• The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:50 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 17 February 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice, folks!

I honestly don't see how eliting my Catapult would make a difference since the only two useful skills are overheat-related, and Catapults rarely hit their heat capacity. I mean, it's possible to OH, but it's not really a problem.

Jaggermech looks like fun for dakka builds, think I'll get one for quick play eventually. But the only variants I like on paper are 3xAC/5 JM6-S and 3xUAC/5 JM6-DD, and I doubt either is particularly good in CW. So I think I'll go with Stalker.

Well the best Catapult is the Jester which is an energy boat. Also not horrible for CW, not as good as the TBolt, Quickdraw, Grasshopper or a few other. Also eliting doubles all the basic skills which will increase mobility and things. Also speed tweak is probably the single best skill in the game on average. Mastering also lets you put a second module, which will let you have Radar Dep and Seismic (the generally suggested) which can help a lot.
Quickdraws and Blackjacks have been nerfed, so I would wait to see what builds are coming up for those that are good, generally the LPL builds are probably gonna be less common. For the Blackjack the PPC build on the 3 and the Machinegun build on the Arrow got a little better.
Assault wise Battlemasters (2C) and Stalkers (4N) are the top builds, efficient with tonnage and boat large lasers in high mounts. Banshees are also very solid, I like and am good with Zeus' (Zeusi?). Generally anything that can use LPL or Large Lasers well is good. Griffin 2N is one of the best brawlers and ECM has some utility on some maps. Generally you want to not rely on ammo too much, my Griffin always runs out and then I have two med lasers which is a little underwhelming. AC5s can do work, but you will run out of ammo if you are doing work with them, and generally King Crabs are better on hot defensive maps, too slow to be really good on attacks.

#44 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:52 PM

I was thinking about Splatcat, but am skeptical about its actual playability. I suspect I will be destroyed before I can get close enough to the enemy to fire at him. And I mean quickplay, of course, not CW. Don't see SRMs being useful in CW, other than as a backup weapon.

Edited by DavidStarr, 17 February 2016 - 09:58 PM.

#45 Bad Karma 989

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:09 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 16 February 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

...Only CPLT-A1 and C4 are worth mentioning. They're definitely my top damage dealers (LRMs, you know? Doesn't matter what your hitboxes are if you're dealing damage without being hit)...

Hehe...that's cute. I was an A1 pro until it was time to retire it. At fifteen minutes a pop it takes a lot of work to build up over a day's playtime on a single chassis. If the A1 is your top damage dealer...well...yeah...heh heh

David, just bite the bullet and get the Thuds. They're user friendly, they dish out some serious pain, you will see a marked improvement in your scoring and longevity in a relatively short amount of time. If you're serious on ignoring the Thunderbolts, then the Blackjacks are your next friend, followed by the Quickdraw. For the assaults, Battlemasters and Stalkers, like was said before.

#46 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

TDRs are way too squishy. Just no. Ain't nothing user-friendly about them.

Edited by DavidStarr, 18 February 2016 - 03:46 AM.

#47 xRatas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:33 PM

Get K2and master your Catapults. It is nice mech, well suited for either balllistics or laser vomit. Install big standard engine and 4 er large lasers, and it will serve well as a long range laser sniper.

Also works with dual gauss, large pulse laser, or even autocannon builds. When mastered, it's quite smooth ride too.

Fro assaults, I'd recommend batlemasters. Very versatile mechs.

#48 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:56 AM

K2 is also fun with 2uacs and 2ppcs, all torso mounted :)

#49 quantaca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:35 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 17 February 2016 - 10:12 PM, said:

TDRs are way too squishy. Just no. Ain't nothing user-friendly about them.

david although i would love more players in CW (hell i would like everyone to play it actually) im going to be very blunt, if you think that the TDR is squishy you are NOT READY for CW (as the tdr is tanky as hell when played right), stay in quickplay, learn to play your mechs, develop your skills (and get out of tier 5 Posted Image ) try out the trail-mechs and learn to play the laser/dakka mechs instead of LRM's. learn how to take dmg (torso twisting) if you just run straight at someone they'll just core you out in no-time even if you are in an atlass

as what to get for a mech i would say for now get the K2 and learn to play a different style of mech 2uac5 is fine 2ac10 or 2gauss also works, converting one of your lrm boats to srm's also works but require you to rethink the way you play, you need to be patient and cautious.

Now what are the other upsides of getting the K2 ? opening up the elite skills for starters, the second is that 3 cpt and 1 (trail) TDR fits the 260tons drop limit for CW if you really really want to play it for say an extra mechbay, but if you do get into CW dont come crying to the forums, because CW does not have a matchmaker and the people you face could very well all be tier 1 comp players (although they tend to stay away from CW it is possible) more likely though you will run into organised groups of people who know the weaknesses of most mechs and have the ability to keep their aim on target and will focus their fire on anyone thats exposed (at first you'll think you forgot to equip armor Posted Image) and for heavens sake drop by the FRR teamspeak and group up it'll make the experience much more fun(ish)

edit
some TDR tips.
the TDR 9SE with the 3 LPL does not play like an in your face brawler (like FI the 7mpl 5ss) it lacks the raw dmg output for that, it plays more like a mid range poker, try to stay in the middle of your team and poke out from the left side of buildings/rocks/other mechs why ? because thats where the lpl's are located from your view the lpl's come out of the middle but thats because the cockpit is located to the left, so if you poke on the right side you have to expose you entire mech. and although it can poke over hills keep in mind that its weapons are not super high mounted so you have to expose your entire upper torso

Edited by quantaca, 18 February 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#50 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:43 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e6547a9da827ddI would never bring an unelited mech to a match i cared about winning Posted Image

Edited by Dr Tachyon, 18 February 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#51 Bang Bang Dead

Rookie

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:01 AM

Please don't bring lrm's to cw unless you know you have a narc even then it's map specific (boreal, helbore and sulfurous - not really viable on other maps)

C4 cata is great man

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3406a78c8f538d4

yaya i'll hear crap about the xl engine on a heavy.. probably not best for new players

I run xl on everything though and do just fine. It's all about the twitch and twist to spread that damage.

Definately master your mechs. (at least the variant you'll use)

Knights are wickedly awesome and many different loadouts, 4 erl or 9 med/pulse (run 6x3 don't alpha unless its a killshot) 3lpl/3med(effective but my least fav) or my fav LPL build

LPL (cooldown variant works best imo run it weapon groups 3x1 don't alpha unless its a kill) http://mwo.smurfy-ne...58cf3a494bfbd04

9 mpl
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...733840598d02405

stalkers are great to learn with but if you are putting lpl's on it just get a blr with xl375 and 4lpl ... should be able to do xl400 with erl too if I remember right but i like the lpl's personally

I use blr1s x2 and bj1x x2 in my deck (will have to check viability of bj now that I've just patched might switch to dakka... dunno)

If the bj's suck I'll run zeus lpl's and enforcers though 2 knights, grasshopper, and cicada is great deck too for laser vomit
If you want dakka deck(great for w/e map heat wise) then jager it is though the mauler can put out some crazy damage (if you're accurate and have people with you in the push) with 5 ac5's..... might even be able to do the 2xac10 2xac5 like the dire... but it's slightly less dps than the 5 ac5

ac10/ac5 build http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d23815ff9a63335

ac5 build http://mwo.smurfy-ne...25fc9c38ebab8dd

GL with your choices

#52 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:14 AM

marauder

#53 Bang Bang Dead

Rookie

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostDr Tachyon, on 18 February 2016 - 07:43 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e6547a9da827ddI would never bring an unelited mech to a match i cared about winning Posted Image

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4512e1f2d1d957f

LPL makes it cooler, drop the ams get tonnage for the xl275, drop 1 ton of ac5 ammo for a heatsink

now you can hit things at close range with dakka and energy and the over all dps is higher though there are better mechs to bring than the K2

or

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...18700088081e421 and you don't have to worry about running out of ammo if you are performing well

dunno what was up with the 20 back armor.... don't turn your back(back up when retreating), stay in a group and you don't have to worry about much back armor, you need to be able to soak the frontal hits when you have an xl

or you can run http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a7ba10b5463131f and have better range but lesser damage potential

#54 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:41 AM

My idea of a K2: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68cbe4907663abc
I like your large laser + AC/UAC builds, but prefer STD engine.

View Postquantaca, on 18 February 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

for heavens sake drop by the FRR teamspeak and group up it'll make the experience much more fun(ish)

I did drop by. BTW, you can ask Theaus, one of the drop commanders - he had seen how fast my TDR-9S crumbled when sneezed at. Theaus told me to get rid of XL engine; I explained it was STD.

#55 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 18 February 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

My idea of a K2: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68cbe4907663abc
I like your large laser + AC/UAC builds, but prefer STD engine.

I did drop by. BTW, you can ask Theaus, one of the drop commanders - he had seen how fast my TDR-9S crumbled when sneezed at. Theaus told me to get rid of XL engine; I explained it was STD.

I run the thud 5ss and the 9se in my drop deck both with standard engines and I have noticed that the 9se doesn't seem to tank as well as the 5ss. I love my 5ss Posted Image

Edited by Sabertooth1966, 18 February 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#56 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostThomasMarik, on 17 February 2016 - 08:47 PM, said:

If you can get down here and If it would wake the deadbeats in house Marik up then sure. They've been in pansey mode since the Liao war stopped.

if i can maybe i can come down there and give you guys some exercise Posted Image

@ David as for thunder bolts, my personal fav is the 9se, but i dont use them much because they are boring and meta
looks like you are going to be buying the K2 and 3 stalkers Posted Image

Edited by Windscape, 18 February 2016 - 02:42 PM.

#57 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:06 PM

LRMs and CW should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

#58 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

b b but u just did

#59 T0rmented

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 317 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

not 1 person has mentioned the black knight or grasshoppers.
either chassis does the same thing (laser vomit)
both are great at it.

#60 Bang Bang Dead

Rookie

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostT0rmented, on 18 February 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

not 1 person has mentioned the black knight or grasshoppers.
either chassis does the same thing (laser vomit)
both are great at it.

You don't read very well. A couple of us did.

View PostBang Bang Dead, on 18 February 2016 - 08:01 AM, said:

Knights are wickedly awesome and many different loadouts, 4 erl or 9 med/pulse (run 6x3 don't alpha unless its a killshot) 3lpl/3med(effective but my least fav) or my fav LPL build

LPL (cooldown variant works best imo run it weapon groups 3x1 don't alpha unless its a kill) http://mwo.smurfy-ne...58cf3a494bfbd04

9 mpl
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...733840598d02405

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users