#1 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:32 PM

Currently outdated due to the Skill-Tree Patch. Stay tuned for an update in the next month or so.
(gonna take some time to suss things out - sorry)

Posted Image

Valhalla awaits all willing to fight.

The process has been long and halting. As impeding patches and even the risk of Energy Draw continued to make any move on our part obsolete. Furthermore while balance is not as bad as it has been it has slowly settled back in favor of the clans recently; especially with the inarguable strengths of the Kodiaks.

But with recent announcements it seemed now was the time to post what we have, for I believe that Community Warfare should have a significant upswing in the coming weeks and even if an insane quirk/module retool looms on the horizon is it not best we put our best foot forward now?

So let me begin first with our
design document.
(YO CLICK ON THIS LINK THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO READ!)
With various factors in mind such as; Accessibility, ease-of-use, survivability, dupability and others we have redistributed the best mechs for the general public into a list of tiers.

Tier 1 are solid mechs that most players cannot go wrong in. They wont make a pilot good at the game but what they will do is give that pilot a chance to be better.

Tier 2 are still 'good' mechs but they either more punishing to the player or less proficent at doing something than one of the Tier 1 mechs.

Tier 3 we believe are not ideal mechs. However they are not terrible and with the right pilot in the right situation they may be useful. More then likely a person would only take one of these due to weight restrictions.

Our official recommendation is this: Try to build your deck using three mechs from Tier 1 and one Mech from Tier 2. If you can help it do not use any mechs from Tier 3, and never more than one in a single deck.

Recommended Decks:

Grasshoppers:
While you can build a deck with three Warhammer variants, the -7S is noticeably weaker than the rest, and the dakka Whammy isn't ideal for every map. The Grasshopper deck is more homogeneous, every build is extremely similar and can be played virtually the same. It's simple to learn, and always effective.

A great place to start if you're new to CW and building your first dropdeck. Mind the XL engines, torso twist after every shot to spread incoming fire, and remember that pumping your jumpjets can make you harder to hit.

GHR-5P (opening mech, has a bit more range with LL to get through the poke phase in the first wave)
GHR-5H (laservomit alpha-monster. It's fast and nimble, and quirked for heat.)
GHR-5N (same as the previous, but built for right-peek. Arguably third best variant.)
40-tonner or less (CDA-3M, RVN-2X, or on some maps the Oxide and CDA-2B are better where there is more brawling)

Grasshopper Alt Deck
For players who own multiple Grasshoppers but don't want a weak 4th mech.
GHR-5H
GHR-5P
QKD-5K (or RFL-5N if you own it)
ENF-4R (or an 3x LPL Arrow if you own it)

Warhammer deck:
Warhammers are in a really strong place right now. Good armor, good dps and good mounts they can be devastating in the right hands. They are however a little slow and some builds for them aren't great in all situations. I think running 3 WHM-6D's might be the best, but obviously most people aren't going to have the mechbays or c-bills for such an opulent gesture. The Blackwidow is a beast but sooo slow that I left it out of this grouping.

WHM-6D
WHM-6R (use ppc version if you want)
WHM-7S (weakest of the WHM's in this group - if you want to replace it with a GHR no one would blame you!)
RVN-2X/CDA-3M/Oxide

Hot Map Special:
These mechs are slower and little more fragile than some of the laser vomit mechs.
WHM-BW
WHM-6R (Feel free to replace the LL's with PPCs if you are confident with that build)
JM6-DD
RVN-2X/Oxide
If you want to duplicate a tier 1 mech, then go for it. We only recommend multiple versions because people usually do not own or want to buy more then one of each version. Our goal here is not to tell you exactly what deck to bring, but to help you build a good deck. QKD's and RFL's are not the greatest mech but because they are only 60 tons they allow you to bring a heavier 4th mech and with some practice they can usually do decently.

There is one 'speciality' dropdeck I would like to try...
CPLT-A1
CPLT-C4
CPLT-BB/TDR-5SS/QKD-4H (old brawl build)
GRF-3M

This is for what we in the ISENGRIM refer to as 'Goating' that is taking quick SRM/Close range mechs and running head first at the enemy until one team is dead. It is strategy for pure reckless abandon and nothing else. If anyone holds back they doom everyone.

Spoiler

Edited by Mech The Dane, 16 May 2017 - 11:32 PM.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:25 PM

Spoiler

Leaving this post here in case it answers questions for anybody else that comes along:

While I appreciate the feedback, the above post is intended to provide an 'Official Standard' for dropdecks, not necessarily spur discussion. We've already gathered feedback from the heads of multiple FRR units and decided that the selection of chassis you see above are the optimal choices for both new and experienced players alike.

While maybe ECM is valuable, the IS mechs that are capable of mounting it are deficient in other areas and they are not good chassis to purchase and master specifically for a CW dropdeck (most notably because the non-ECM variants are typically weaksauce). You even said that yourself twice, "most ECM mechs are frankly not that great." Again, the above post is supposed to represent a standard that as many players should strive for as possible - these are mechs that are proven to have the survivability and damage output to be competitive in the game mode and also friendly enough that new players will be comfortable in them. A CDA-3M or CTF-0X will require more effort on part of the player to have a positive impact on the battle with them because they are simply not as strong. An AS7-DDC is ridiculously slow, saps 100 tons out of your dropdeck, and really requires a brawl to be worth bringing, which is something you can't always guarantee, so it can even be complete a waste of tonnage from time to time and is not suitable to every map. ECM lights are generally weak and best avoided altogether - you typically only bring them to balance out heavier assaults in your dropdeck, and again, the heavier assault isn't always the greatest choice because it is slow and more dependent on organised teamplay. It also wastes valuable time waddling to battle, sometimes holding up the entire team that is waiting for it to arrive before a push.

The Chassis listed above however, TDR, BJ, and QKD... are all versatile, strong, reliable, and independent. They are also rather quirk-independent as well, in case of future balance patches. Dropdecks can be built around multiple variants and combinations of these chassis to conform to ever-changing dropdeck weights, and for these reasons they are a good choice of mech for players to purchase all three variants and fully Master in the Skill Tree and employ in CW together.

If you are having trouble with amassed LRMs, you have several options that are better than gimping your dropdeck and mech purchases with ECM mechs:

- You can bring Radar Deprivation on every mech in your dropdeck, which I fully recommend - it's worth the investment even if you aren't facing any LRMs at all.
- You can learn to dodge LRMs more effectively - remember that you have to move perpendicular to their travel.
- You can work as a team and push into the enemy boats and overwhelm them if they are numerous.
- You can mount AMS as a last-ditch effort. It's more of a crutch than anything, and players should strive toward doing away with it.

Hope this helps put things into perspective and explaining the thoughts behind the choices provided. We'd like to see all FRR players in uniform dropdecks as often as possible, working together with maximum cohesion. Last time I watched an -MS- player streaming, he mentioned the FRR 12-mans are just solo pugs that all band together on TS but still play like terrible solo pugs anyways. We can do better than that.

Edited by Tarogato, 04 March 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#3 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:15 AM

My apologizes. Not my thread. Dane's statement regarding suggestions for those seeking guidance put me in that frame of mind. Was just trying to help, given the many threads of late of folks complaining about LRMS. Didn't mean to step on toes.
Post deleted (Tarogato, delete yours above as well. No worries.).

#4 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:49 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 03 March 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

STORMTROOPERS: ADVANCED OPTIONAL DROPDECK

I am going to make special tag in the FRR Hub for players who have a Stromtrooper dropdeck available for use.

View PostBud Crue, on 04 March 2016 - 04:15 AM, said:

Post deleted (Tarogato, delete yours above as well. No worries.).

He made such a good post though, Bud! I can't let him delete it..

Edited by Mech The Dane, 04 March 2016 - 04:57 AM.

#5 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

Not a single mech I like to run :D
Well maybe the black knight if I get bored of my battlemasters.

#6 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

Lore wise I think it would be pretty cool to also develop an official RKA "Berserker" dropdeck, completely focused on short range brawling.

Not sure how it would look exactly, but I see two ways of going with it.

The first would be a slow to fast approach, where you start with a slow wave and finish with a brawling light. After next patch this could look something like Atlas-S>Archer-5W>Griffin-3M>Oxide, and before that the 70ton mech could be a Warhammer or Grasshopper brawl build. One or two players in the team can bring AS7-D-DC>CTF-0X>GRF-2N>Oxide for the ECM. This approach is quite reliant on having enough people doing it, since you need to match up those increasing speed profiles wave by wave.

Second approach would be a more speed balanced one with perhaps 3 heavies and 1 medium or 1 light assaulst 1 heavy 2 meduims or something. Not sure what mechs to bring there but I would personally like to see a fully jump capable 75kph+ deck for this approach so each wave can swarm push over hills and stuff.

On another note I've personally found that having a cool running dakka dropdeck to switch in is very useful, Mauler-MX90>Jager-DD>Jager-S>CDA-3M for example. Especially for building fire lines defending the hot maps.

Nice basic list anyways, 3 TBR+1 BJ is certainly a foolproof starter deck.

#7 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 04 March 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

Lore wise I think it would be pretty cool to also develop an official RKA "Berserker" dropdeck, completely focused on short range brawling...

A good idea and one I would be happy to implement, but first I want to see if people are willing to adopt the Stormtrooper dropdeck. If folk aren't interested in a unified dropdeck for the FRR then there isn't any point in brainstorming more alternatives.

Yet.. If stormtroopers start popping up and we actually have stromtrooper drops.. Then berserker will be next.

#8 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 04 March 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

A good idea and one I would be happy to implement, but first I want to see if people are willing to adopt the Stormtrooper dropdeck. If folk aren't interested in a unified dropdeck for the FRR then there isn't any point in brainstorming more alternatives.

Yet.. If stormtroopers start popping up and we actually have stromtrooper drops.. Then berserker will be next.

I see decks similar to your proposed "stormtrooper deck' quite often. Don't know if the specific load outs that you are recommended are being carried however (I mean I NEVER see Quickdraw H with srm6s in CW but I see lots of folks running the 3lpl G, but no idea if they run an XL 330; I see Ks all the time but more often than not I see the 2LPL 4M build more than the 4LL build you propose; etc). Point is, I see lots of folks running combinations of Quickdraws and Black Knights. Still others combine Tbolts, Grasshoppers and lately a Warhammer here and there. But since they are not the exact decks you are describing I am not sure if such hybrids count as "strorm troopers" and they certainly aren't unified.

I like the idea of a unified deck at least as a recommendation, but beyond a recommendation I don't think many would go for a "unified" deck. Too many people just like their particular builds (be they optimal or not). Also a lot of people have particular builds, and particular decks, for particular maps.

Now if we wanted to do a FRR lore based deck I think we need some Dragons in there...and I just don't see that happening.

#9 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:14 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 04 March 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

I like the idea of a unified deck at least as a recommendation, but beyond a recommendation I don't think many would go for a "unified" deck. Too many people just like their particular builds (be they optimal or not). Also a lot of people have particular builds, and particular decks, for particular maps.

Like I said in my post; even my advisors thought it unlikely to be adopted. But I did it anyway because I'd prefer to try and fail then not try at all. I don't need more people telling me what will or won't happen, what I need is to see what actually happens.

It is certainly easier to believe it is impossible and not go about the effort of trying. But that isn't how I like to operate. The post is up and the experiment is live. And besides, even if it doesn't work, the beginner dropdeck still makes most of the post worthwhile.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 04 March 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#10 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:24 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 04 March 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

Like I said in my post; even my advisors thought it unlikely to be adopted. But I did it anyway because I'd prefer to try and fail then not try at all. I don't need more people telling me what will or won't happen, what I need is to see what actually happens.

It is certainly easier to believe it is impossible and not go about the effort of trying. But that isn't how I like to operate. The post is up and the experiment is live. And besides, even if it doesn't work, the beginner dropdeck still makes most of the post worthwhile.

^^This

It can't help anyone at all if it's not made available.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

If you don't even attempt to lead the horse to water, you'll never know what would have happened. Would it eventually have found it? Would it have attempted to do so? It's harder to say with certainty than one might think.

Horses (like many of us gamers) are pretty "delicate." It's better to put in the effort to show them where the water is, even if they won't take that drink. At least they (we) will know where the water is when they (we) decide that being thirsty is a real thing. ;)

Nice work, Dane <o

#11 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

re: berserker deck

#12 Kshat

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:28 AM

Just to help out: it might be easier for a new player to level his BJ1 with another build, for simply one fact: with an AC20/MPL build, you truly have to commit in order to deal damage. Especially in random PUG matches, those situations don't come that often and are most certainly hard to discern for a new player. Not fun to fully commit and later on realise that your team ran away into hiding.

In my opinion far easier to adapt to, is this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b4a588dc4ea32b

#13 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

#14 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:53 PM

Love it, love it, love it! Hoping to see that stormtrooper deck being implemented! I'll do my part to help promote this as well. I think it'll be awesome if we can move the entire FRR faction towards a standardized professional fighting force. Hoping the experiment comes out a success.

#15 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

Once people have had some time to pick up the three Quickdraws and get them CW ready, I will host some "Stromtrooper Nights"; we'll get all the Troopers together and do some drops and see how it goes.

Hopefully, smashingly.

#16 CainenEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:50 PM

I think you've posted some useful decks for the beginners. Great job to Dane for posting, and to the other involved with the FRR. Would you ever expand the "advanced mechs" list to include some other notable mechs?

#17 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

Would be a mobile as **** deck to drop with. Especially good in IS vs Clan engagements as it voids the Clan mobility advantage. Still going to be comparatively fragile but a better punch at what's historically the Clans bread and butter engagement envelope plus more nimble. I've seen someone doing it with Hoppers but the QKD is better quirked for it. Would also destroy most EBJ/HBR decks at a comparable skill level. Plus that BK wave, that's a really monstrous amount of rainbow hate to drop on someone.

Really a good idea and ballsy. Please give updates on how it plays in the field.

#18 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostCainenEX, on 04 March 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

Would you ever expand the "advanced mechs" list to include some other notable mechs?

Aye, Cainen.
What I wanted though, was to do more then just post up some useful mechs/builds. There are build suggestions all over the place, and if nothing else an intrepid player could always go to GMan's MetaMech website and pull together some good things from there.

What I wanted to do was create an easy path for new or struggling players in CW. That is, I think, what the beginner dropdeck accomplishes. I do not want to give them so many options they are overloaded; I feel like too often posts about builds get so much input that it all becomes just noise. Then you have the problem that often times people giving advice aren't giving great advice and a new player isn't able to differentiate between bad advice and good advice.

By going after Thunderbolts and Blackjacks they have a very good foundation in a CW dropdeck and from there they can move on and explore other options on their own.

That was the initial goal of this post. The Secondary goal is more of an experiment on my part and is the Advanced Build. I need to know if the FRR/RKA would actually be willing to pick up a 'standardized dropdeck', if it is something we as a community can actually accomplish or if my hopes in that regard are unrealistic.

If the community responds favorably, and I am able to actually do "Stormtrooper drops", then I'll add more Advanced Dropdecks utilizing other notable mechs. I think the next would likely be a 'Berserker' deck, utilizing elements of Sjorpha's suggestion. But if the community does not get behind it, then well, I'll just leave it at the beginner deck.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 04 March 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#19 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

I have all the mechs so it is easy for me to quickly make a stormtrooper deck... but as you see I am now with the grey haloween-cats so ... bummer. only 3 more weeks till FRR again.

Edited by nehebkau, 04 March 2016 - 04:28 PM.

#20 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

Thinking the same thing. Maybe I'll do a second week back in FRR after my time spying on... err... coincidentally dropping with MS in CSJ is over.

The idea has a lot of promise and if you can get 12 people willing to put it to practice it just might be the next big thing.

Everyone at 80-90, 3 of them running at about 50% cooling? Thats laservomit on Vitric cool. The SRM boats are 2.5 alphas per turret or about 4 per ogen. That's a dunk wave right there. BKs are hot but you just save the MLs for the finish. With the 3 lpls they're 50%.

Like I said it's a great idea for a synergy deck. About 30 million cbills to get into it, maybe a week of CW. It would be a flat out shame if you can't get a full team or two for this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users