What Is Your Favorite Light Battlemech And Why?

98 replies to this topic

#61 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

This is really tough!

1) Urbanmech - because nothing beats a full sized ballistic weapon on a tiny mech.
2) Locust - there isn't a better price/thrill ratio in the game.
3) Commando - not quite a Locust, but cool as heck looking, and lower arm actuators are uncommon for me.

The only clan I will ever own is the Mist Lynx; so outclassed it should be considered IS. So much fun though; the game is,'how long can I go until a Cheetah finds me'...

#62 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:37 PM

Kit Fox for Clan and Firestarter for IS.

Firestarter is kinda obvious why i like it. It has no real weaknesses.

Why Kit Fox? It started out with me trying to prove that the Kit Fox was not the useless piece of crap everyone said it was.
It ended up being my best mech bar none. Lack of speed doesn't bother me much since i get extra firepower.
Why not get a Shadow Cat instead since it's faster and has mostly the same equipment?
Weird thing is that i manage to fit a roughly equal amount of firepower in the Kit Fox and it has much better arm twist limits. That is all.

#63 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:35 PM

Locust is probably still my favorite, but I haven't played it in about 6 months. Maybe one day I'll pick it back up again.

Right now I'm having a heck of a lot of fun with a 2x ERPPC Adder or it's lopsided cousin, the UAC-20 Adder. Those things are hilarious.

#64 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

View PostDoctorGizmo, on 15 March 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

If you are not sure, try saying what your favorite Clan/IS light 'mech is instead.

Sure!

IS: Locusts and Commandos. Plenty of in-jokes. And a joke about lore-nerds is even included.

Clan: Cutefox. I did work in that thing with 4ASRM6 before Oxide got its quirks.

#65 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 04 July 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

Was the locust until all the complaints now I am sure pgi will nerf it in the ground. I doubt any one will play it after that.

Cicada unless pgi actually fixes the lights and leaves the locust the way it is.

A Cicada is an evolved Locust, decent quirks, worse *hitboxes.

#66 Thor Sten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:36 AM

Locust. Nostalgia, thrilling game play, and nostalgia.

#67 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:52 AM

1. The Urbanmech.
Everyone thinks of the urbie as a joke so like the Kitfox and similar mechs it tend to get ignore despite the fact that t
I can pack a surprisingly heavy punch for a light while running at more then 100kph.
Plus the tears taste so good when you get a kill in an Urbie.

Honorable mention: The spider. It's unfortunately, totally lackluster in combat but with a maxed out engine and jumpjets there is no mech that is more fun to pilot and do crazy stunts in than a spider.

#68 Machinae Mortis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

Commando. Lots of reasons:
  • Nostalgia: Favorite mech when I first got into the game (Crescent Hawks' Inception
  • Looks: I've always preferred humanoid mechs, and when MWO first came out it was between this or the Jenner.
  • Audio: The strutting sound the commando makes when it's at full speed sounds awesome. It's kind of a shame that engine audio quality has decreased and become more generic for later mechs. The older ones had quirks that made them really unique (e.g. the faint clinking noise from the Spider's engine). If they ever make a Commando IIc I really hope they use the same engine sound. Did they do this with the Jenner IIc?
  • Mobility: Second only to the locust, I just love to run fast and turn corners really easily. Yes, the Commando can be quicker, but the Locust wins in this category due to superior overall mobility.
Second favorite is the Locust for nostalgia, looks, mobility, and superior sustained firepower (TDK will overheat more quickly than a SPL Locust).

Edited by Machinae Mortis, 22 July 2016 - 07:18 AM.

#69 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:53 PM

View Postno one, on 24 March 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

2 - Kitfox - The kit fox is an easily overlooked support monster. With ECM and triple ams it's given me the highest win/loss ratio of any light, while packing exactly as many clan er medium lasers as you can expect to use without running afoul of the ****** heat system.

I was just looking at the stats on my clan alt, and it's the same for me. W/L ratio of 1.8 for the KFX-C. All solo queue games, so not skewed by team quality.

So it does seem to work. Though granted my clan alt is at Tier 3, where LRM's are still quite common. In upper tiers I figure that 'mech would quickly lose its purpose.

I pack 3xERML, 4xMG, TC1 on top of the ECM+3xAMS. Damage average tends be near team average. That plus the anti-missile duties seems to be conducive to winning games,

#70 Unendingmenace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationDropship Dire Wolf

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

My favorites: Jenner IIC and the Oxide, why? Because I love SRM brawling and the speed to be able to quickly get in to get a kill then escape before help arrives!

#71 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

1.) Urbie. Nothing says "Bawlz" as loud as the AC20 from where you never expected it to park in shut down (tunnel e.g.) into the rear of the last mech moving through.

2.) a far bit later: Locust. Nothing says "Gutz" as much as running like a chook with the head cut off in paper armor going for their assaults.

3.) directly after that: Commando. Faster then lolcusts, more expensive to mod. same "putting yellow hot water up their legs" attitude. But it is a pity the 4 laser one is MC only.

4.) Raven. Because AC20 Raven. Bwahahaha.

5.) Firestarter with 2 PPC, 2 Small Lasers. Just because I still can. And no one expects 2 PPC from a Firestarter.

#72 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:37 PM

For traditional Light Gameplay, Locusts. For fun, Mist Lynx. The one I want to try the most, Wolfhound.

#73 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:58 PM

UrbanMech, because:

1) Best nickname ever
2) Trashcan look is boss
3) It can mount a larger autocannon! (and not much else really)
4) Atlas will learn fear
5) Just because...

#74 Airu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:42 PM

long long ago before spider was introduced it was jenner F with 6/5 mlas

long ago before erppc nerfs it was spider 5d with 1erppc and 2smlas or just 1erppc

before the rescale it was purely spider 5v with 2mplas and 11jjs (actually moved from beginning of T3 to T2 playing it 99% of time)

after rescale it is locust 1E, if only wasp was released.

If driving locusts is thrilling, try driving a locust with 0 armor and 2 ER LL and max engine. Armor on locusts is overrated.

#75 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

In MW, I've never been good with lights... I stick my nose in the middle of the fight a little bit too much....
So my favorite lights are Mediums...

In the Tabletop, the Fire Falcon, the Vixen, the Pack Hunter and the Cougar are my favorite Clan mechs.
The Venom (the 35 ton Sipder!) and the Scarabus (30 tons axe wielding fun!) Are my favorite Spheroid mechs.

#76 DJ Mitchell

• PipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 61 posts
  • Locationright behind you

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:35 AM

IS: Commando & Panther (after resize gathering dust)

Clan: MW4 Kit Fox, MWO Version with "fixed" engine and quit a large model won´t even touch it.

BT: Javeline

#77 Vladosteron

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:27 AM

I got all the IS-Light mastered. And I got to give the Prize to the;

Panther.
It is in my opinion the most versatile Light in IS-Arsenals. Flanker, brawler, skirmisher, sniper, heck even a missle/supporterrole is playable in this beauty.
Yes, it lacks a high Enginecap, But 127kph is mostly enough.

My favorite Build: 10-P with a Single Gauss. The single most powerful Gauss you'll find.

#78 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

Actually, the Grid Iron is still the single most powerful gauss rifle.

#79 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:56 AM

This thread makes me so sad that I feel compelled to play pretty much only ACHs at any level of seriousness.

I may have to go Commando in the solo queue to relieve my malaise.

#80 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:59 AM

Play an adder instead. Make the moniez.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users