Dev Blog 1 - Community Warfare

Official

512 replies to this topic

#41 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

Sounds interesting and looks like it could be nice balance between player/merc unit freedom and maintaining the time/story line which I am happy to see. Am also curious about the periphery states, look forward to seeing the list.

Thanks for shiny map, I do love maps!

Moved questions to the proper thread.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 08 December 2011 - 12:27 PM.

#42 Win44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCT, USA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

I am amazed that they seem to have found a way to fit three general player types into the classic BattleTech story.

First of all the Lone Wolf, who will be the BattleTech newbie, in it for the quick drops and instant gratification. I am wondering at this point is this random drop stuff going to be Solaris? A non universe effecting battle.... or will they be the fill ins to flesh out Faction battles.

The Faction players who either knows BattleTech and the universe from prior experience, or otherwise craves to be a part of something have battles mean something.

Then they even found a way to incorporate the players who want to be heavily guild/clan involved but dont necessarily want to do things within the restrictions of a bigger faction community and make it a more personal social experience.

Great Ideas all... totally excited!

#43 berkyjay

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

This is awesome! When I played MW3 I hoped that one day a system like this would be set up. It is such a natural online mechanic for this IP.

#44 Major Crash

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationCentral U.S.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

Whats the little green triangle between Waldorf & Malibu, (~ 1.5" S. of Dark Nebula)?
Wow..Comstar is good, map copyright "3067"

#45 sadamle

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

Is it possible to change status as a player from one to another. For example, Lone Wolf > Faction Player and back etc?

#46 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

Just a note folks... the chances of your questions being answers is exponetially higher if you post them in the Community QnA #2.

#47 Atticus Aquila

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

Loving what I'm seeing. Looks to be everything I've been looking for and more in a Mechwarrior game. The more that's revealed about the plans for this game, and their scope, the more excited I get.

I also love that Randis IV is included on the map down, spinward of the Taurian Concordant out in the middle of unclaimed space. Now if only I could find people interested in forming the Brotherhood of Randis with me. :)

Keep up the great work! Looking forwards to seeing more soon!

May Deus servo, quod suggero.

-Brother Atticus Aquila
Knight of Randis

#48 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

If you guys want to do the Q&A thread I would suggest locking this one after the OP and pointer to the other thread, it would keep the house a bit cleaner.

IMO.

#49 Hairlok

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 42 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

View PostStinger, on 07 December 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

Interesting concepts... I would have to say that most players that know the fiction are probably going to stay away from planets near the FRR and its borders with the Fed Com and the Combine. Now I have to decide if I am going to be a merc or join a faction...

But maybe more chance of being taken as a bondmans by the clan, give that as a freebirth you never get to pilot a frontline mech but you may get a interesting 2nd line clan mech

Edited by Hairlok, 07 December 2011 - 05:31 PM.

#50 Kyll Long

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

Thanks you this does give us insight that I was hoping for.

#51 jojobear

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

Decaying loyalty points?

So let me get this straight. If I want to get to the endgame goodies, I have to grind Loyalty. Okay. Not new. I can accept this.

Then once I finally get the end game goodies I have to...grind Loyalty?

Come on! I want a game. Not a job. Even WoW kicked reputation point decay to the curb long ago.

I feel like this completely shuts out people who cannot devote large amounts of time to the game.

What happens when final exams hit and a I have to spend the next two weeks studying and writing papers? It sounds to me like I'd be S.O.L. and have to re-grind Loyalty.

What happens if my Loyalty decays faster than I can gain it, due to simply not being able to play enough? It sounds to me like I'll never be able to explore all the games content, so what reason do I have to invest money into it?

As a consumer, this sounds like a huge disincentive for me to invest in MWO.

#52 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

View Postjojobear, on 07 December 2011 - 05:26 PM, said:

As a consumer, this sounds like a huge disincentive for me to invest in MWO.

As a fellow forum user, I suggest you read this entire thread, especially the lower half of page 2, where these fears are addressed.

#53 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

I'd really like to see some sort of bonus to lone-wolf players. I know we should be encouraging team work but the idea of being something like a Red Baron or Boba Fett among the other factions is pretty cool.

Still, its great to have some real info! I love the ideas presented here, I think its going to be a great meta-game. Not sure how I feel about LP decaying if you don't have the time to play constantly... but I guess we'll see just how that works out.

#54 Beardama

Rookie

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Can't wait!

#55 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

Can't wait...defending a world there in my Shadow Hawk, conquring a world there in my Shadow hawk..Destroyed a world over on the far left then the Capellan's border over there in my Shadow Hawk.
Ah, memories.

#56 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

Posted Image

#57 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

View PostDamocles, on 07 December 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image Beat that.

#58 Qman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationCanberra. Oz

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 07 December 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:

Ughhh.. as a previous WoW addict from vanilla WoW onward, I can guarantee you we will not allow that grind to happen again. That ladder system was a fail from the get go. Our "High Warlord" was a shared account between 15 people. We are mitigating this and will update further later on in the project as it touches into an area we don't have covered yet. Just rest assured, the person looking into this cringes at the thought of the old WoW PvP ranks.

-Paul

When i first read that i thought "oh god" not again...Thanks for the reassurance that it wont be "to much of a grind" i dont mind grinding (giggity?) but the pre bc was just plan nuts!

Oh and i plan on been a merc player...sounds fun!

Edited by Qman, 07 December 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#59 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 07 December 2011 - 04:29 PM, said:

I know I asked the question in Community QNA 2,

Unless I'm missing something, this sounds dreadful to me. If I am reading this correctly, this says that, unless I have enough points from faction members coming to join my Merc Corps, I will not be able to work for any other Houses than the one I came out of. If this is, indeed, true, then it's pretty short-sighted, IMHO. Please, someone tell me this is not true? Or, help me understand what I'm missing in the description?

I take it to say that at Launch a/all Merc Corp will gain enough LP's after a min # of jobs (non-planetary based) to then get Planetary based Contracts.

Then, in order to maintain the ability to keep getting that specific Houses Planetary based contracts, a certain amount of work (taken contracts) will be required on an ongoing basis, otherwise LP decay (doing (to much) work for another House) will kick in and you will have to go back to doing pissant work with them to get the LP level back required for Planetary contracts.

Remember, ALL Merc LP's go to the Merc Corp. If you slack off (as a Merc Corp player), the Boss may just give you a desk job or a Garrison position. :)

Edited by MaddMaxx, 07 December 2011 - 06:06 PM.

#60 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

Can someone tell me where Outreach is? What sector of the map? I know its in FedCom space but what number?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users