Amd Radeon Catalyst Update (Just A Heads Up)

8 replies to this topic

#1 The Smoking Man

• PipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 73 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDa Yoop

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:54 AM

I just updated my ASUS R9 380 strix yesterday and encountered some crashing in MWO shortly after, so I did the dance for a while and found out where the issue was coming from. I am on windows 10 64bit. (for this issue). It would not lock up the system, and I got no penalty from game abandonment so it was a "No input to monitor" error. The screens would just go into power saving and show nothing, right in the middle of a game. I have seen this error before with my nvidia cards, the no-error, error. It required a hard reset of the machine to be able to do anything.

Drivers in question - 16.15.2111-160314a-300497E as of 3-29-16. The driver works fine, no issues there. It seems to have added an additional component to the "Package" install, this is the install that installs the Radeon Catalyst fluff, extra stuff. Volken was one of these additional programs. So I did a clean wipe of the drivers, the package and the whole nine yards.

With the FULL UN-Install, some programs persist, they were - Plays.TV and Volken and Raptr. They had to be removed individually (usually suspect to me). They un-installed normally and did not appear too aggressive, registry was clean after they were done.

Re-install of just the audio and video handling drivers. Problem solved.

So this is where the guys who never install the full package contents get to go "neener neener" at me, and I can now agree with them on this one time.

So please note, I am not bashing AMD (I use their stuff) or the driver install. I am simply offering a tip to anyone who is now encountering the same problem, a possible solution that helped me.
I believe the issues are with Volken (wtf that is) and with RAPTR, the RAPTR client and plays.tv are too aggressive of programs for me, with very little benefit. They seem to me to be "pushing" streaming of games, and saving those games to the intrawebz. So I don't need them anyhow, Steam can stream if I needed to do that for some reason. Do the bare minimum install per hardware requirements you have, and you should see the problem go away.

#2 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

I questioned the Volken thing, too. No problems with the driver update, though. Yet.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind if problems start up.

#3 THE ERASER

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

Vulkan is a new 3D render API like DirectX and should, must not interfere with MWO because MWO uses Direct X. Vulkan is so to say the successor of OpenGL. There you can read the hole thing on the Wikipedia-> https://en.wikipedia...iki/Vulkan_(API)

You can let it install on your PC, the New DOOM game in may will support this new API it seems.

The Gaming evolved App or Programm on the other hand can cause problems and I would recomend don't install it. It is a poor attempt to copy the Nvidia Geforce Experience Program.

#4 THE ERASER

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:27 AM

And again just a heads up, be careful with the new 16.4.1 Beta driver, there are some impotent points in the "Known Issues" list next to the now obvious one:

A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay"

that is still around in the 16.3.2 driver version.

Careful !

A small subset of AMD Radeon™ R9 380 users may be experiencing slower than expected fan speeds. A work around is to raise your fan speeds through AMD Overdrive in Radeon™ Settings manually to a desired amount.

Releasenotes -> http://support.amd.c...ion-16.4.1.aspx

#5 AhFendz

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:43 AM

..i'm using MSI R9 380 Gaming 4GB and uh huh, had the same issue. I suspected some of the additional programs would be the caused of the error. In the end, I rolled back to the previous 15.xx.xx driver instead. To me it's like, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Will update much much later, as long as it doesn't mess with my mwo gaming...see you guys in battle...

#6 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:14 AM

I've seen a few myself. The most common issue is a unresponsive driver, which causes the game to crash. Sometimes a restart of the game fixes it, sometimes a reboot is required. It seems to be very random, but it's usually the game that crashes. I've seen 1 BSD (RAM issues, I think), 1 monitor cut-off (as OP describes), a bunch of unresponsive driver errors, and a ton of odd crashes to desktop.

Again, it's very random, not bad enough to roll back the driver -- yet.

Has anyone tried the beta driver?

#7 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:37 AM

I had some crashes with the 16.4.1 driver, but the 16.3.2 driver seems fine so far after reverting back to it, so I'd recommend just waiting for the next release driver and not taking the betas.

#8 BloodScorpion

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:11 AM

Some new driver was released 3 days ago, looks like an hotfix but take care its non-WHQL (not blessed from windows) Posted Image

https://www2.ati.com...-win7-apr20.exe

Played 3-4 games now and it's fine. I also decreased my shadow quality from very high to low.

#9 LesleySchultze

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK, Devon

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:29 PM

NOTE - I have an AMD R9-285X 2GBGDDR5 GPU - sublime for low cost really.
HOWEVER Crimson upgrade to the new software caused occasional black screen of death.
If it ain't broken dont fix it - Windows 10 gives new active X bonus, so all you will need on this level of card in my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users