25 replies to this topic

#1 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading from my single 24" 1920x1200 screen to either a triple screen setup or a single ultra-wide screen (21:9). Which would be the best for MWO? Any advantages or disadvantages between the 2 setups? I have the following system, so I think I'm good performance wise. Thanks in advance...Posted Image

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__5049023

#2 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:20 PM

well i play MWO with a vertical monitor (3 monitor setup, 1 horizontal, 2 vertical,) and i also play it on another computer with a boxy CRT monitor. I'd say go square :P but i know CRT's are hard to find. I would go for a vertical monitor then; however, if you are going to use 3 horizontal monitors, the ultrawide would be the better choice.

this is just my feedback, im probably weird for having a computer w/ a CRT monitor but thx for reading anyways :)

#3 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

Well.
1: Never, ever, ever do triple monitor. The headaches aren't worth the couple minutes that it actually works flawlessly in that one AAA title.
2: If you want ultrawide, Samsung is about to release, or has already released their super duper ultra wides. They're like 24:10 or something. LG is doing the same thing iirc. But alot of games don't support ultrawides anyway and then you have to play with big black boxes on either side. On the plus side if you watch movies you will have no black boxes 21:9 is the cinematic standard for the most part.
3: Just go 4k or 1440p. It's the best route for a superior experience as far as dazzling quality. Maybe a little less immersive, but you get the benefits of higher resolution and no headaches as far as support and future proofing. A 4k or 1440p monitor could easily last you 3-5 years. Depending if you want to jump on the 8k train or whatever after that.

TL;DR: Trips monitor is excessive and unimpressive. Ultrawides are sometimes problematic. High res is the way to go.

#4 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

View PostWindscape, on 31 March 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

well i play MWO with a vertical monitor (3 monitor setup, 1 horizontal, 2 vertical,) and i also play it on another computer with a boxy CRT monitor. I'd say go square Posted Image but i know CRT's are hard to find. I would go for a vertical monitor then; however, if you are going to use 3 horizontal monitors, the ultrawide would be the better choice.

this is just my feedback, im probably weird for having a computer w/ a CRT monitor but thx for reading anyways Posted Image

I grew up w/ Sony Trinitrons being King of the Hill, so i have much CRT envy.

#5 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

View Postjonfett, on 31 March 2016 - 04:24 PM, said:

I grew up w/ Sony Trinitrons being King of the Hill, so i have much CRT envy.

hey thats funny because I have Sony Trinitrion :P My mom still uses it sometimes :) The CRT monitor i use is an envision.

https://www.google.c...c9MBNgQ_AUIBygC

thats what it looks like. I kinda want to buy another one :D

guess i just have a lot of retro tech lying around :P

#6 ball0fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 178 posts
  • LocationQLD australia

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

without having used either i cant really say if one is better than other
cept:

i'd go single ultra wide cos it looks better, and also doesnt have bezels to worry aboot,

like said a couple posts above ^^ , movies are good on the 1 screen.

#7 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:22 PM

How is the refresh rate on all these tvs? Can they handle gaming? I was also considering upgrading

#8 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:40 AM

Tripple monitor has this strange but useful periphial vision magnification issue..
Id go single large monitor for gaming and an off monitor for streams,tv,browsing

#9 Ainthe

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

Spanning across multiple displays is not difficult and despite what previous poster has posted it is not a headache. Both NVIDIA and ATI have hardware support for surround spanning now; ie. nView and Hydravision Which avoids the "headache" of trying to span displays with the operating system ie. Windows.

Keep in mind the number of video outputs on your video card use to be a limiting factor but newer monitors now support MST (Multi-Stream Transport) which allows you to daisy chain up to 4 monitors now.

The biggest drawback with multiple displays is the bezel; even on the display I tested; while they shrunk the plastic bezel to <1cm; there is still a 1/4 inch black border on the edge of the screen. Which means you have about 1/2 black border between each display.

My personal opinion on (3) curved monitors; for immersion purposes it is fantastic, it does add to the "feel" of piloting a giant mech. But the fact MWO at times is closer to a FPS than a Mech Sim it is a pretty large handicap when you are piloting or fighting against Light Mechs.

The real problem was (3) 34" side by side requires a really long table; which is impractical for most purposes. (2) 34" displays was the right size for me but with the targeting reticle stuck in the .5 of bezels it is very large handicap for aiming.

I think later this year we will see OLED monitors, ie. Dell UP3017Q which should improve the bezel issue significantly when using multiple displays.

Pictures of (2) and (3) Dell U3415W 34" Curved Monitor 21:9 on a single GTX Titan.

Dual Screen
(6880x1440)

Triple Screen
(10320x1440)

#10 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

Go for the single large if you got room for it. I play on a LG 60'' smart tv at about 6 ft away and it is just like driving the mech. No refresh rate problems either.

Edited by jjyn, 02 April 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#11 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 31 March 2016 - 06:22 PM, said:

How is the refresh rate on all these tvs? Can they handle gaming? I was also considering upgrading

As you can see at bottom I use the LG 60'' smart tv and it does very well. Maybe if you do consider it, a smaller smart tv for the fact that they are already set up as a computer themselves.

Edited by jjyn, 02 April 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#12 Uparmored Rickshaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:46 PM

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 31 March 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

Well.
1: Never, ever, ever do triple monitor. The headaches aren't worth the couple minutes that it actually works flawlessly in that one AAA title.
2: If you want ultrawide, Samsung is about to release, or has already released their super duper ultra wides. They're like 24:10 or something. LG is doing the same thing iirc. But alot of games don't support ultrawides anyway and then you have to play with big black boxes on either side. On the plus side if you watch movies you will have no black boxes 21:9 is the cinematic standard for the most part.
3: Just go 4k or 1440p. It's the best route for a superior experience as far as dazzling quality. Maybe a little less immersive, but you get the benefits of higher resolution and no headaches as far as support and future proofing. A 4k or 1440p monitor could easily last you 3-5 years. Depending if you want to jump on the 8k train or whatever after that.

TL;DR: Trips monitor is excessive and unimpressive. Ultrawides are sometimes problematic. High res is the way to go.

I have been running triple monitors (5760x1080) for more than two years. What headaches should I be encountering? Because I haven't had a single issue. I don't play this game to impress anyone and have a quality PC that can handle three monitors on max settings at 60fps.

#13 DEATHRAT 69

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts
  • LocationParma Ohio

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:54 PM

I run a very nice gaming rig with (2) NVIDIA GTX-980's. I have the capability to run NVIDIA Surround with (2) 24" Dell IPS panels in Vertcial and (1) Dell 27" S2716DG G-Sync 2560x1440 monitor. Surround with 3 monitors at 60hz with V-Sync is fun, but (1) 27" with G-Sync activated at 2560x1440 capping out at 144 FPS is absolutely buttery smooth and unlike anything ever. Ideally, (3) Dell 2716DG's in surround would be the bomb, but I think you would need (2) GTX-980TI's to get good performance. Regardless, that would be $1800 I'm monitors and $1400 in Video Cards. Looking forward to Occulus. The whole monitor thing will be obsolete in a few years. Lookup Lemix Towers II to see my system on PC Part Picker. DEATHRAT 69.

#14 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:03 PM

View PostAinthe, on 02 April 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

Spanning across multiple displays is not difficult and despite what previous poster has posted it is not a headache. Both NVIDIA and ATI have hardware support for surround spanning now; ie. nView and Hydravision Which avoids the "headache" of trying to span displays with the operating system ie. Windows.

Keep in mind the number of video outputs on your video card use to be a limiting factor but newer monitors now support MST (Multi-Stream Transport) which allows you to daisy chain up to 4 monitors now.

The biggest drawback with multiple displays is the bezel; even on the display I tested; while they shrunk the plastic bezel to <1cm; there is still a 1/4 inch black border on the edge of the screen. Which means you have about 1/2 black border between each display.

My personal opinion on (3) curved monitors; for immersion purposes it is fantastic, it does add to the "feel" of piloting a giant mech. But the fact MWO at times is closer to a FPS than a Mech Sim it is a pretty large handicap when you are piloting or fighting against Light Mechs.

The real problem was (3) 34" side by side requires a really long table; which is impractical for most purposes. (2) 34" displays was the right size for me but with the targeting reticle stuck in the .5 of bezels it is very large handicap for aiming.

I think later this year we will see OLED monitors, ie. Dell UP3017Q which should improve the bezel issue significantly when using multiple displays.

Pictures of (2) and (3) Dell U3415W 34" Curved Monitor 21:9 on a single GTX Titan.

Dual Screen
(6880x1440)

Triple Screen
(10320x1440)

Wow oh wow!! So...want...those...three...U3415W...screens...Posted Image

...and i don't even really have the space for one of them Posted Image

#15 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

View PostDEATHRAT 69, on 02 April 2016 - 11:54 PM, said:

I run a very nice gaming rig with (2) NVIDIA GTX-980's. I have the capability to run NVIDIA Surround with (2) 24" Dell IPS panels in Vertcial and (1) Dell 27" S2716DG G-Sync 2560x1440 monitor. Surround with 3 monitors at 60hz with V-Sync is fun, but (1) 27" with G-Sync activated at 2560x1440 capping out at 144 FPS is absolutely buttery smooth and unlike anything ever. Ideally, (3) Dell 2716DG's in surround would be the bomb, but I think you would need (2) GTX-980TI's to get good performance. Regardless, that would be $1800 I'm monitors and $1400 in Video Cards. Looking forward to Occulus. The whole monitor thing will be obsolete in a few years. Lookup Lemix Towers II to see my system on PC Part Picker. DEATHRAT 69.

Well, I've indeed got the (2) gtx 980ti's in SLI, so just need the desk space and the screens Posted Image

#16 SilentWolff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

Posted Image

34" Ultrawide Acer Predator X34
Monitor is a beast

Edited by SilentWolff, 13 April 2016 - 04:20 PM.

#17 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

I will say this, playing on a 42/46/60in LCD TVs then playing on a 27in monitor to test a few things while remounting the TV... I cant wait to get back to the TV... geez... now I understand why people are always zoomed in, even when close up/brawling......

#18 DEATHRAT 69

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts
  • LocationParma Ohio

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:46 PM

I ended up going with a single dell s2716dg 1440p Monitor. I have a 2nd Dell U2414 uNLTRASHARP monitor for Teamspeak and other stuff. I picked up the Monitor for $567. Theay are now on sale at Amazon for $489. http://www.amazon.co...ds=dell+s2716dg If you want 3 of these bad boys, now is the time. I'm not going to do the 3 monitor surround due to cost and the reality that very few games take advantage of NVIDIA surround. If I ever change my mind, I have dual GTX-980's in SLI and I couild probably drive all 3 monitor at 1080p with G-Sync for sure. DEATHRAT

Posted Image

Edited by DEATHRAT 69, 22 April 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#19 DeadlyOne

Rookie

• Trinary Nova Captain
  • Trinary Nova Captain
  • 8 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:10 PM

I love my triple monitor setup. In the past I used triple 23 inch monitors and when one died I really missed it even though I ordered a replacement right away. I now use 3 32 inch screens and am always looking at those side screens. Modern screens usually have a pretty thin bezel so its not an issue for me. Now days there are not many programs that don't let me use all three or at least the programs that I run. Also if you like to have a gadget screen you can always plug a fourth monitor in for that. MWO was made for triple monitors!! Go big or go home. Just my opinion but I have convinced more than five people to go triple all I had to do was let them see what they were missing.

#20 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:11 PM

I mean, no real need to use an Advanced Zoom module... /winks...

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users