#41 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

Could be worse--

https://vimeo.com/449957

Edited by RoboPatton, 03 April 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#42 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostDamia Savon, on 03 April 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

Yes apparently there are only two type of people on these forums...white knights and idiotic, clueless, whiney, baby tantrum throwing imbiciles. Which one are you, oh wait.

I got complaints. Just one big one, CONTENT, this breaks down into 150 sub complaints :) like lack of pilot eject animation, lack of NPC's, lack of Aerotech, lack of 3d 1st person mechbay, lack of pilot character creation and development, lack of a proper mechbay crew of Astechs. See I can complain and maybe I have a point, but at least I have a point.

#43 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostNoiseCrypt, on 03 April 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

Maybe you just need to try something new...

http://magic.wizards.com/

https://www.games-workshop.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/ ( They even have sales Posted Image )

Herng. I spent a lot of money on GW products. Ended up selling it all, but yeah... a LOT of money over some 15 years actively playing. So very much. Probably into 5 digits.

Edited by Wintersdark, 03 April 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#44 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 03 April 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

I got complaints. Just one big one, CONTENT, this breaks down into 150 sub complaints Posted Image like lack of pilot eject animation, lack of NPC's, lack of Aerotech, lack of 3d 1st person mechbay, lack of pilot character creation and development, lack of a proper mechbay crew of Astechs. See I can complain and maybe I have a point, but at least I have a point.

Lack of quads. Don't forget the quads!

#45 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

Posted Image

#46 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 03 April 2016 - 10:24 AM, said:

It has *always* been a goal of PGI to have MWO be an e-sports game. This isn't something that "changed in December suddenly". That you've been blind to that since there are quotes going back at least to 2012 is your issue. But more relevant - is that there hasn't been any major shift in the development to only e-sports as you seem to imply. The focus has only shifted in your mind, not PGIs. E-sports and CW/FW are an "AND" not an "OR" and the focus is *still* on non e-sports items - glacial as the pace may be.

Yeah, Russ has ALWAYS wanted to do this. I've always been against it, but Russ has never hidden his e-sports ambitions, not from 2012 at the start of Open Beta at least.

#47 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

More time practicing and less time whining?

#48 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

I was going to post a dismissive comment but then I remembered how incredibly pissed-off I was about my HGN-Heavy Metal until I managed to beg PGI into giving me a refund for it.

So... I actually sympathise.

That said, I still think it's incredibly silly to spend $500 on any videogame, let alone one like MWO.

#49 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

View PostDamia Savon, on 03 April 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

Yep but someone has to keep the lights on right? People who "proudly" don't spend a dime on the game actually contribute nothing to it.

So if free players contribute nothing then I guess it wouldn't hurt if they left and the game's population dropped even lower?

Of course spending 100 to 1000 bucks, while a lot to an individual, is a drop in the overall bucket of that PGI needs monthly.

Right, why make the game better so that more people play when whales will pay out the *** regardless? No reason to put in more work & effort when the payout isn't going to increase without also sorting out the incompetent management who have no desire to change it up.

PGI is not a AAA studio and btech/Mechwarrior is not a AAA franchise. I doubt they have multimillions lying around to spend years developing a game with the hope of recouping their investment via sales. Free to play online games don't follow the same business model.

That's not really defending PGI's atrocious business model and work ethic though.

View PostWintersdark, on 03 April 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

Likewise, I was buying a product with PGI - mech packs - not promises on future development. If they don't have a product I want to buy in the future, I won't buy it. I won't cry about it either, I just won't buy it.

That's not the response I got from somebody else who said their purchases were because of promises on future development.

I don't fault people for not buying now, either... But I won't call people who do buy foolish, either, as those people are funding the game I'm enjoying. If nobody buys, the game vanishes very quickly.

If you reward developers for doing a sloppy, lazy, untimely job then it is foolish. I could not give less of a damn what the consequences are for saying that, not that there would or will be any consequences since fools will keep buying anyways.

Thinking things will improve if people stop buying is stupid. That's not how it works.

Things don't and have not improved when people continue rewarding mediocrity either.

View PostTed Wayz, on 03 April 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

Hindsight is 20/20.

I was willing to fund PGI as long as their focus was a long term viable CW. When it became obvious it was not their focus then the faucet got turned off. Or in my case the fire hose.

I'm mostly talking about a large period of time (including now, actually) where PGI had already demonstrated their gross incompetence and people still kept pouring the money in.

#50 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

View PostMystere, on 03 April 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

Yes, because obviously a million flies can't be wrong ...

Do I detect a hint of apprehension? Posted Image

As I asked in another thread, would you like to go into specifics on what these "ground breaking stuff" are?

I don't know all the details of whats in faction play phase 3.

That there was no roadmap for next month and the fact that the podcast was on April fools day on April first is something to be considered also. Maybe its nothing but maybe its something. :)

What I do know is faction play phase 3 isn't BLUE VRS RED TDM like 100 other shooter clones which don't match up to this game anyway and that's to be commended. Seriously. 100 other games like Destiny (currently) and many other extremely top end game some of the most expensive ever made, thinks its fine to offer players meaningless generic blue vrs red tdm arenas.

Edited by Johnny Z, 03 April 2016 - 10:39 AM.

#51 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 03 April 2016 - 10:24 AM, said:

It has *always* been a goal of PGI to have MWO be an e-sports game. This isn't something that "changed in December suddenly". That you've been blind to that since there are quotes going back at least to 2012 is your issue. But more relevant - is that there hasn't been any major shift in the development to only e-sports as you seem to imply. The focus has only shifted in your mind, not PGIs. E-sports and CW/FW are an "AND" not an "OR" and the focus is *still* on non e-sports items - glacial as the pace may be.

I wouldn't say always, but there were indications since it went 'live' and I think the push for it came from Sean Lang, once IGP were disposed of

#52 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

Oh look another "I spent a bunch of money on this game, my opinion matters" thread.

I've also spent a lot of money on this game, but I'm not a dev, therefore my opinions matter little as a single player. This game is also a live development title meaning it is constantly being balanced, so a 'perfect mech' for you may end up being less appealing in the flux of the balance state and become inferior to a mech it was formerly superior to.

However, that's how things work, its not a stagnant single release game and content is continuously being added not just balanced.

Your complaint about Skirmish is also idiotic, as when wasn't a good deal of Battletech about mechs shooting other mechs? We don't have things like tanks, chopper, planes, foot soldiers, and other AI (even mechs for now) so the action is currently centered on PVP Mech battles. Which, due to PLAYERS, means that just about every match boils down to PVP and the community has actually been {Richard Cameron} to people who play the objectives, hence the leaning toward skirmish style matches even in non-skirmish game modes.

HOWEVER, this is also inclined toward skirmish because this game has NO RESPAWNS. So the game heavily boils down to destroying the enemy mechs for an advantage in ANY objective mode game. BUT, the community is also FERVENTLY against any sort of respawn modes stating that they're 'arcade-like' and don't fit a BT/Mechwarrior game. (Yet CW basically has a 4 life respawn mode as its main mode...)

You can't blame the devs solely for anything you perceive wrong with the game, as the community en masse is also to blame.

#53 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 April 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

So, what should they do? It's a F2P game, it needs to make money. As you said, maps don't make money, mechs do.They HAVE continued to add maps nevertheless, but you can't fault them for wanting to be able to keep the lights on and servers running, and put food on their tables.

Development is slow? Yes. Do you really feel this is deliberate? PGI just screwing with you? Whether it's because their team is too small, bad at their jobs, or some combination doesn't matter, if they could add content faster they would. Complaining about it is pointless because they clearly can't go any faster: getting better isn't going to happen, and getting bigger... Bigger requires more money. Catch 22: to make more money, they'd need to sell more mech packs, right? That means even less non-mech content. And there's definitely a saturation point where those who are going to spend are already spending everything they are going to.

Yeah. Development is slow.

But at least it's way faster now than it was back in the early days.

The OP here either has some SERIOUSLY rose coloured glasses, or he's just full of s**t. For all of PGI's faults (and they are legion) the game has been progressing much faster than it did back then, and certainly is a lot better (even if I desperately miss 8v8).

But people have this moronic idea that suddenly things are going to change dramatically. Spoiler alert: they aren't. The game is going to CO tinue slowly progressing as it has, and there aren't going to be huge sudden changes.

MWO is going to remain MWO, for good or ill.

This gotta-put-food-on-the-table argument is a terribly poor one. In fact, it's complete and utter BS. This is a business, not a charity, nor a community project. If you don't provide a quality service/product, you get less consumers, which in turn means you eat less or don't eat at all.

Go spout that nonsense to everyone who's been a customer at a business that closed down. "But they have to eat!" No ****, we have to sleep, **** and poop as well. A business' need to sustain itself is not a moral obligation on part of the consumer. It's the cold hard reality. It's... business.

How do you not process that?

By now, this is almost like a consumerist version of Stockholm syndrome where the consumer who has dumped loads of money way beyond reasonable measure of worth defends the company, despite any and all shortcomings.

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 03 April 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

"I wasted hundreds on this game."

Aww, how cute, you think you're a whale.

I'm sitting on just over 2K worth of cash spent. Sorry the game didn't meet your expectations, but you alone can measure the worth of the game to you.

I personally feel over these years, I've gotten my money's worth.

Case in point about consumerist's Stockholm syndrome....

This post can't be real.

Seriously? You spent 2k on this game and really, truly, honestly feel like you've got your money's worth?

I call BS. You're trying to justify that expenditure to yourself after the fact.

Come ON! Enough with the self-delusions.

#54 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 03 April 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

This post can't be real.

Seriously? You spent 2k on this game and really, truly, honestly feel like you've got your money's worth?

I call BS. You're trying to justify that expenditure to yourself after the fact.

The money that i used to put in cinema with the restaurant that comes before it trumps the amount of cash i put in MWO and it does feel wasted. As opposed to the cash i put in MWO that i can still enjoy and should be able to enjoy for the next 7years to come according to Russ. Just because you made the wrong decision in funding this game dont means others also feel they made the wrong decision.

#55 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 03 April 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

The money that i used to put in cinema with the restaurant that comes before it trumps the amount of cash i put in MWO and it does feel wasted. As opposed to the cash i put in MWO that i can still enjoy and should be able to enjoy for the next 7years to come according to Russ. Just because you made the wrong decision in funding this game dont means others also feel they made the wrong decision.

I have not spent a dollar on this game, and gladly so. I'm simply calling out bull where I see it.

If they made a regular MW title and released it for sale, I would have probably bought it, because it would be completely different than the sheep shearing we have now.

Edited by ArmandTulsen, 03 April 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#56 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

Effects of Nostalgia strikes again

#57 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:47 PM

You guys don't get it. You don't understand why a post like this is important as to the state of the game. Berating and jiving on, talking about his salt and tears. It's all a self defense mechanism to reassure yourself that this game isn't going to ****.

Here is someone who has been in a time capsule as far as MWO is concerned, and instead of taking the poison a little at a time and just getting used to feeling sick all the time, he gets it all at once and realizes something is very wrong.

I don't know how you can get anymore candid and honest than a dude who was obviously excited for MWO, invested a pretty good dollar into it, played it at the beginning and now, then gave his opinion. If you seriously don't see that there is a problem when someone like this thinks the game has gone to utter crap, you are blue-pilled beyond hope.

#58 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:04 PM

If anyone expects anything more from this game, then they still havent learned. Its been 4 years or so, nothing has changed. All that was added into the game was mechs and maps. Game is ok for few occasional deathmatchs in a week, though i personally prefer CS:GO for that. Just play and spend money if you want to but dont expect anything to change because it just wont. IF the game as is precious to you, as is, support devs with your purchases.

I find it odd that people still kid themselves about things changing, words are wind my friends if devs had a clear vision they'd have done it by now. Thats why i dont bother reading news anymore. Just pump moar maps and im happy ^^ (more of that polar highlands stuff)

#59 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:36 AM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 03 April 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

This gotta-put-food-on-the-table argument is a terribly poor one. In fact, it's complete and utter BS. This is a business, not a charity, nor a community project. If you don't provide a quality service/product, you get less consumers, which in turn means you eat less or don't eat at all.

Go spout that nonsense to everyone who's been a customer at a business that closed down. "But they have to eat!" No ****, we have to sleep, **** and poop as well. A business' need to sustain itself is not a moral obligation on part of the consumer. It's the cold hard reality. It's... business.

How do you not process that?
Wat? They ARE putting food on the table. MWO is more profitable now than it has ever been. My argument is that they need to continue releasing mech packs because that is their income. They stop, and THEY HAVE NONE. That leads to a shut down business.

You make it seem like MWO is dying. It isn't. It's doing as well as or better than it ever has. I've been here since the start of open beta, and it's grown pretty much the whole time. Yet for those four years, people have kept screaming that MWO was dying, that everyone was leaving, that it was a sinking ship.

Strangely, we're all still here. All this time. It sure isn't sinking very fast.

By now, this is almost like a consumerist version of Stockholm syndrome where the consumer who has dumped loads of money way beyond reasonable measure of worth defends the company, despite any and all shortcomings.
Read my post carefully. I don't defend PGI, and I acknowledge their failings. I'm just saying they can't stop selling a product to make people happy, because that product IS THEIR BUSINESS.

They need an income to continue functioning, so mech packs will continue to be released monthly to generate that income, because it's working better than the other things they tried.

Case in point about consumerist's Stockholm syndrome....

This post can't be real.

Why? I've spent thousands - over ten thousand, probably - on games workshop products. That's insane for some, but it brought me some 15-20 years of joy. I've spent probably 1000 here over 4 years, so 250 a year, and that's brought me a lot of joy too.

People value entertainment differently.

#60 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:36 AM

Could be worse... at least it was only hundreds and not millions as some people have apparently spent;

http://cavemancircus...ons-of-dollars/

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 04 April 2016 - 05:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users