#61 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostPjwned, on 03 April 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

So if free players contribute nothing then I guess it wouldn't hurt if they left and the game's population dropped even lower?
Free players are content for paying players. If they left, yeah, it would be bad.

But they don't keep the servers running and employees paid. That's up to paying players. There's this wierd thing in Internet stuff over the last while we're people think numbers=success, then look to money later. That isn't sustainable.

You'll see this soon in a lot of major Internet services, particularly social networks. A company needs to make a profit to stay in business, and users who pay nothing don't contribute to that. They're just eyeballs for the advertisers, but those advertisers are paying less and less (this is why the ads in social networks are getting ever more intrusive and the data mining more blatant.)

There's no free lunch.

Right, why make the game better so that more people play when whales will pay out the *** regardless? No reason to put in more work & effort when the payout isn't going to increase without also sorting out the incompetent management who have no desire to change it up.

That's a long shot at best. If people stopped buying things, there would be a very, very short time to get things going. Changing management isn't nearly fast enough. The company would go under before new management was going AND a plan to change things was implemented AND that plan was successful.

That's not the response I got from somebody else who said their purchases were because of promises on future development.

That person was stupid.

They don't make promises. This is game development. "This is our design" is not a promise. It's a design. Things change when budgets meet capabilities and time constraints.

If someone made purchases based on what they felt was going to happen in the future, then that's on them. It's not very smart though. More foolish than buying a product you enjoy at a price you find reasonable for the enjoyment you get.

#62 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:24 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 April 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

Free players are content for paying players. If they left, yeah, it would be bad.

But they don't keep the servers running and employees paid. That's up to paying players. There's this wierd thing in Internet stuff over the last while we're people think numbers=success, then look to money later. That isn't sustainable.

That's not "contributing nothing" though, which is the point I was making because it's patently wrong that free players "contribute nothing."

You'll see this soon in a lot of major Internet services, particularly social networks. A company needs to make a profit to stay in business, and users who pay nothing don't contribute to that. They're just eyeballs for the advertisers, but those advertisers are paying less and less (this is why the ads in social networks are getting ever more intrusive and the data mining more blatant.)

There's no free lunch.

That is not "contributing nothing" either though, the same principle of free players contributing something applies to other services like social networks too.

That's a long shot at best. If people stopped buying things, there would be a very, very short time to get things going. Changing management isn't nearly fast enough. The company would go under before new management was going AND a plan to change things was implemented AND that plan was successful.

Sounds more like a problem with PGI's atrocious business model if they have to keep shoveling out paid crap continuously for months on end while actual development on the game crawls along at a sub-glacial pace, with actual work getting done being the mark of a new epoch.

That person was stupid.

They don't make promises. This is game development. "This is our design" is not a promise. It's a design. Things change when budgets meet capabilities and time constraints.

If someone made purchases based on what they felt was going to happen in the future, then that's on them. It's not very smart though. More foolish than buying a product you enjoy at a price you find reasonable for the enjoyment you get.

That's similar to the point I was making in the first place, although my point is a little different because it's more about singling out PGI as being clearly incompetent since a long time ago, so it's less of a general statement.

#63 MuffinTop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostFeralBerserker, on 03 April 2016 - 02:38 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but I have spent hundreds of dollars on this game since it's inception. Literally, since a month after it was accessible to the public I have been dumping dollars into this game because it was great. Unfortunately, due to life circumstances, I haven't been able to play for a considerable amount of time, probably a little more than a year. I would just accept this game being destroyed during my absence as a fact of life, if I hadn't literally spent at least $500 dollars (much more likely in excess of $1,000).

WOW! You know how much saki, sushi and lady boi hookers you can get with that much money? Sorry not Sorry!

#64 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 03 April 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

Another person with another "I quit!" rant.

Why do these people think we're actually going to read their posts? It's a waste of everyone's time.

So, here's for the typical sendoff:

"Buh-bye now,"

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out,"

And last but not least, "Can I haz ur stuffs?"

Edit: Oh yeah, NB4Lock or K-Town and birds and whatnot.

A company would care and should when whales stop paying.

#65 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 05 April 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

A company would care and should when whales stop paying.

Wow, someone's actually defending the rage quitter.

I guess there really are all kinds.

#66 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 05 April 2016 - 11:11 AM, said:

Wow, someone's actually defending the rage quitter.

I guess there really are all kinds.

what has defending to do with a realistical point fo view? Or you would probably be the only company that wouldnt care losing customers?

Edited by Lily from animove, 05 April 2016 - 11:48 AM.

#67 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 05 April 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

what has defending to do with a realistical point fo view? Or you would probably be the only company that wouldnt care losing customers?

Posted Image

#68 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 05 April 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

wow thats all you got to reply? gg no re

#69 MuffinTop