Hundreds Of Dollars For Garbage

69 replies to this topic

#1 FeralBerserker

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMN, USA

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:38 AM

I'm sorry, but I have spent hundreds of dollars on this game since it's inception. Literally, since a month after it was accessible to the public I have been dumping dollars into this game because it was great. Unfortunately, due to life circumstances, I haven't been able to play for a considerable amount of time, probably a little more than a year. I would just accept this game being destroyed during my absence as a fact of life, if I hadn't literally spent at least $500 dollars (much more likely in excess of $1,000).

What the hell happened to this game? It was a team game, now it's not. You could choose the mode you played on, now you can't. Load time for a server always sucked (because clearly the old way of servers didn't work well... except that it did) but it still has not improved. This game was alpha or beta when I started playing, I can't even remember because it was that many years ago. Why has this game only gotten worse as time has gone on, and not gotten any better? More mechs, but not more maps. Seriously, what game has been out for almost half a decade (maybe even half a decade now, who knows?) and doesn't have more than two dozen maps? Hell, does it even have one dozen maps? And maps that were good and team based have been boiled down to a skirmish mode. And skirmish mode... wait, what? Isn't this a team-based game? Why is there skirmish mode in a team based game?

I could go on and on about what a waste of money this game was for me. I could elaborate on how this personal expenditure could be made worthwhile by better development. I could do all sorts of things. Yet, I feel like my complaints and criticisms will be met with obstinate resistance. The bottom line is that after years of loyalty, even with lapses in participation due to the way life is and the obstacles it presents, this game was a waste of money. Not a waste of time. Because it used to be fun, and I enjoyed the limited time I got to play it. But now it is just greed and capitalism at it's 'finest'.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:40 AM

Posted Image

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:45 AM

I could go on and on about what a waste of time this thread was, but I won't. I won't, because it was entertaining in the way that only a salty tear filled nonsensical rant can be.

Sadly, while entertaining, it was a mediocre flounce at best. I give it 6/10.

#4 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:47 AM

Vast majority of puggers are expecting arena style shotouts with as little wait/downtime as possible, PGI delivers just what the audience is demanding.

You might want to get into the actual "team-based" part of the game, either a unit or a fixed friendslist for the group query (which, by its nature is more "tactical" then the solo query) or, if your time allows it, the Community warefare query which can be very tactical and team oriented.

The game does offer what you want, just don't click on quickplay and expect it there.

Edited by LOADED, 03 April 2016 - 02:49 AM.

#5 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:49 AM

Can I have your stuff?

#6 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:50 AM

View PostFeralBerserker, on 03 April 2016 - 02:38 AM, said:

I feel like my complaints and criticisms will be met with obstinate resistance.

Nah, they will be completely ignored.

PGI would need to care about your complaints and criticisms before they made the effort to resist them.

I'm $1200 in, by the way. But I'm still playing most days. I still have hope that things will improve.

Edited by Appogee, 03 April 2016 - 02:51 AM.

#7 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:52 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 03 April 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

I could go on and on about what a waste of time this thread was, but I won't. I won't, because it was entertaining in the way that only a salty tear filled nonsensical rant can be.

Sadly, while entertaining, it was a mediocre flounce at best. I give it 6/10.

this

One slight hint for the OP: You are a grown up (I assume). You spend money on your own responsibility and life doesn't always throw you exactely what you expected (more like the opposite, actually).
I, too, have spent a 3 digits amount and while I see some problems as well, I'm still more less happy with the game.

Accept it or move on. No one's stopping you from either. But don't cry about it like a teenager.

#8 DefyingReality

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:53 AM

Maybe if you spent more time playing the game instead of whining quite vulgarly in match chat about skirmish mode you could play and enjoy the game more. Just saying.

#9 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:15 AM

I'm sorry, but I have spent hundreds of dollars on this game since it's inception. Literally, since a month after it was accessible to the public I have been dumping dollars into this game because it was great. Unfortunately, due to life circumstances, I haven't been able to play for a considerable amount of time, probably a little more than a year. I would just accept this game being destroyed during my absence as a fact of life, if I hadn't literally spent at least $500 dollars (much more likely in excess of $1,000).

What the hell happened to this game? It was a team game, now it's not. You could choose the mode you played on, now you can't. Load time for a server always sucked (because clearly the old way of servers didn't work well... except that it did) but it still has not improved. This game was alpha or beta when I started playing, I can't even remember because it was that many years ago. Why has this game only gotten worse as time has gone on, and not gotten any better? More mechs, but not more maps. Seriously, what game has been out for almost half a decade (maybe even half a decade now, who knows?) and doesn't have more than two dozen maps? Hell, does it even have one dozen maps? And maps that were good and team based have been boiled down to a skirmish mode. And skirmish mode... wait, what? Isn't this a team-based game? Why is there skirmish mode in a team based game?

I could go on and on about what a waste of money this game was for me. I could elaborate on how this personal expenditure could be made worthwhile by better development. I could do all sorts of things. Yet, I feel like my complaints and criticisms will be met with obstinate resistance. The bottom line is that after years of loyalty, even with lapses in participation due to the way life is and the obstacles it presents, this game was a waste of money. Not a waste of time. Because it used to be fun, and I enjoyed the limited time I got to play it. But now it is just greed and capitalism at it's 'finest'.

Why did you dump so much money into a game that was obviously incomplete when you would have (and apparently did) end(ed) up regretting your decision to spend so much money?

I can't even believe how much people spend on this game with the $100+ mech packs that feature absolutely PATHETIC amounts of content when you compare how many full games + DLC you can get with that kind of money elsewhere.

At least other whales apparently enjoy their extremely overpriced content, but your buyer's remorse is your fault for being a chump.

#10 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:46 AM

P.T. Barnum has a famous quote pertaining to the OP.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:00 AM

Thank you for supporting the game. Feel free to play again, or come back a year later. It will still be around, I think.

#12 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:16 AM

A prize is called for here. Its hard to set a new standard in wrong on the internet. :)

In fact this game is based on a board game called Battletech. 1 v 1 basically, although varying numbers of players can play it also. So while all players playing at the moment are playing on teams it is in fact not a team based game but a Battletech based game.

All players playing are on teams I don't see what your complaint is to begin with.

Also stick around for faction play phase 3. MechWarrior Online is doing some ground breaking stuff.

Edited by Johnny Z, 03 April 2016 - 04:21 AM.

#13 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 03 April 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

Also stick around for faction play phase 3. MechWarrior Online is doing some ground breaking stuff.

Like, more of the same?

Edited by JackalBeast, 03 April 2016 - 07:12 AM.

#14 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:22 AM

I swear, sometimes I think there are loyally blind shills who reply to these kinds of threads.

The OP makes good points. In terms of absolute content and progress, the game has been advancing at a snail's pace.

Everybody here knows you can't monetize maps in this kind of F2P model, so they get less priority in terms of development. But slap together a new mech, which happens to do maybe one or two things unique, but mostly a copy of an existing mech in terms of function, hardpoints etc., and suddenly BOOM! TWENTY BUCKS A POP FOR EARLY ACCESS!

Srsly, you guise? You guise....

Edited by ArmandTulsen, 03 April 2016 - 07:26 AM.

#15 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

When was this game great?

#16 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

OP it's your fault if you spent money and later regret it.
PGI didn't coerce you to give them money, it was your own choice.
I don't think there is much else to say about this thread.

#17 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:39 AM

What the hell happened to this game? It was a team game, now it's not.

You made a statement ("It was a team game, now it's not) that assumes fact when actually you provide no proof, not even any evidence. What is your background or expertise that we should just take your word as absolute truth?

You could choose the mode you played on, now you can't.

Somewhat true in that you may not always get to play the mode you want, but sometimes you do. And PGI can now add game modes like the new Domination without spliting the player base. In addition you can now also vote for the map which is an added feature that you could not before. So you selectively choose one topic while ignoring positive aspects of others.

Load time for a server always sucked (because clearly the old way of servers didn't work well... except that it did) but it still has not improved.

Please provide evidence that load times were shorter in the past by linking videos. I want to be able to see a sampling so I can measure in seconds the average load time of whenever it was you played before and then compare them with now.

Why has this game only gotten worse as time has gone on, and not gotten any better?

Once again you are being your own expert witness and we are expected to take your testimony as fact. Well, not only did you not provide any evidence but you were being as vague as possible in your opinion. I could easily say the game is 1,000,000 times better than it was since beta and I would be just as correct as you since neither of us provided any proof.

More mechs, but not more maps.

False. There are more maps. I hate assuming but you probably meant not as many maps as mechs. It helps when making an argument to be clear and concise. It's just a tip for your future posts.

Seriously, what game has been out for almost half a decade (maybe even half a decade now, who knows?)

It's actually quite easy to know how long the game has been out. It's called Google or a search engine.

Hell, does it even have one dozen maps?

The game, included Faction Play and Private Matches has 25 maps with another one coming possibly next month (Frozen City remake).

And maps that were good and team based have been boiled down to a skirmish mode.

You are being so vague again that it forces people to try and come to some conclusion what you mean. I shouldn't have to try and interpret your post.

The maps that have been redone are much bigger than they were before, and the newer maps like Polar and Crimson are large. In general, smaller maps would require "skirmishing" more because there is less room to maneuver while larger maps theoretically should provide more playstyles. So, I'm not sure your point...at all. Again, tip for future posts, be clear and concise in your meaning.

And skirmish mode... wait, what? Isn't this a team-based game? Why is there skirmish mode in a team based game?

Once again, I have to try and interpret what you are trying to say. Are you saying that any game on the market that has team deathmatch/destruction is not team-based? I think there are many game studios out there that would disagree that team deathmatch does not require team work. Please send me a pm of a post you wrote on a different game's forums that complained that their team deathmatch didn't require any teamwork - because team deathmatch is not unique to MWO.

I could elaborate on how this personal expenditure could be made worthwhile by better development.

I don't require an essay, just give me a little more to work with, one more paragraph. Please explain, from your background in software design and engineering how your development would be better.

The bottom line is that after years of loyalty, even with lapses in participation due to the way life is and the obstacles it presents, this game was a waste of money.

How you spend your money is entirely up to you. Whether it was a waste or not is entirely up to you. If that is how you feel, that is up to you. But the key word is "you". Don't try to speak for me or others. It's a trick in debate to try and make others agree with you.

But now it is just greed and capitalism at it's 'finest'.

And you end with a statement assumed as fact. No evidence, no proof, no references. We have to assume your statement as absolute truth because it comes from you and that is enough. That's just arrogance in the highest degree.

I think the true issue is that you are in a touch spot financially, as we all are sometimes, and you spent money you shouldn't have (we all have). But, PGI never put a gun to your head, never stole your credit card, never hacked your bank account. This is another case where everyone else is to blame but yourself.

Edited by Coolant, 03 April 2016 - 07:51 AM.

#18 Felbombling

• 2,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

That post coming from someone named FeralBerserker... that was perfect.

#19 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

Blah, blah, blah.

Another person with another "I quit!" rant.

Why do these people think we're actually going to read their posts? It's a waste of everyone's time.

So, here's for the typical sendoff:

"Buh-bye now,"

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out,"

And last but not least, "Can I haz ur stuffs?"

Edit: Oh yeah, NB4Lock or K-Town and birds and whatnot.

Edited by Nightmare1, 03 April 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#20 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 03 April 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

I swear, sometimes I think there are loyally blind shills who reply to these kinds of threads.

The OP makes good points. In terms of absolute content and progress, the game has been advancing at a snail's pace.

Everybody here knows you can't monetize maps in this kind of F2P model, so they get less priority in terms of development. But slap together a new mech, which happens to do maybe one or two things unique, but mostly a copy of an existing mech in terms of function, hardpoints etc., and suddenly BOOM! TWENTY BUCKS A POP FOR EARLY ACCESS!

Srsly, you guise? You guise....

This. So this.

Readying for argument about how hard and grueling it must be to develop new mechs which, Spoiler Alert... implement already existing assets (as in from day 1). Same vein as to why weapon types haven't changed. Here's a hint, it's not because of timeline.

View PostCoolant, on 03 April 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

You made a statement ("It was a team game, now it's not) that assumes fact when actually you provide no proof, not even any evidence. What is your background or expertise that we should just take your word as absolute truth?

Somewhat true in that you may not always get to play the mode you want, but sometimes you do. And PGI can now add game modes like the new Domination without spliting the player base. In addition you can now also vote for the map which is an added feature that you could not before. So you selectively choose one topic while ignoring positive aspects of others.

Please provide evidence that load times were shorter in the past by linking videos. I want to be able to see a sampling so I can measure in seconds the average load time of whenever it was you played before and then compare them with now.

Once again you are being your own expert witness and we are expected to take your testimony as fact. Well, not only did you not provide any evidence but you were being as vague as possible in your opinion. I could easily say the game is 1,000,000 times better than it was since beta and I would be just as correct as you since neither of us provided any proof.

False. There are more maps. I hate assuming but you probably meant not as many maps as mechs. It helps when making an argument to be clear and concise. It's just a tip for your future posts.

It's actually quite easy to know how long the game has been out. It's called Google or a search engine.

The game, included Faction Play and Private Matches has 25 maps with another one coming possibly next month (Frozen City remake).

You are being so vague again that it forces people to try and come to some conclusion what you mean. I shouldn't have to try and interpret your post.

The maps that have been redone are much bigger than they were before, and the newer maps like Polar and Crimson are large. In general, smaller maps would require "skirmishing" more because there is less room to maneuver while larger maps theoretically should provide more playstyles. So, I'm not sure your point...at all. Again, tip for future posts, be clear and concise in your meaning.

Once again, I have to try and interpret what you are trying to say. Are you saying that any game on the market that has team deathmatch/destruction is not team-based? I think there are many game studios out there that would disagree that team deathmatch does not require team work. Please send me a pm of a post you wrote on a different game's forums that complained that their team deathmatch didn't require any teamwork - because team deathmatch is not unique to MWO.

I don't require an essay, just give me a little more to work with, one more paragraph. Please explain, from your background in software design and engineering how your development would be better.

How you spend your money is entirely up to you. Whether it was a waste or not is entirely up to you. If that is how you feel, that is up to you. But the key word is "you". Don't try to speak for me or others. It's a trick in debate to try and make others agree with you.

And you end with a statement assumed as fact. No evidence, no proof, no references. We have to assume your statement as absolute truth because it comes from you and that is enough. That's just arrogance in the highest degree.

I think the true issue is that you are in a touch spot financially, as we all are sometimes, and you spent money you shouldn't have (we all have). But, PGI never put a gun to your head, never stole your credit card, never hacked your bank account. This is another case where everyone else is to blame but yourself.

Not quite sure, but I think we've all just witnessed a rare White Knight Cheerleader hybrid in action

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users