174 replies to this topic

#161 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostGorgo7, on 06 April 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

If the top competitive players (who you seem to be very concerned about) are unable or unwilling to grace the competition due to tax woes you think that MWO should create a new, heavily populated department, with the sole intention of learning the in's and outs of some ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY foreign countries tax laws in order to allay the fears of...you.
Perhaps instead the winners could wait to cash said cheque and consult a tax accountant before disbursing said funds. Hell! Open an account in Canada and disburse from there. After some due diligence of course. Remember ALL participants are Adults.

or

They could hire you a to consultant for a *small* fee, you would feel better and so would they...

Or ... they could cut a cheque to each player of the winning team, splitting the prize money and distributing the tax burden. There is no need to give ALL the money to one person ... who is then taxed on that whole amount ... and then has to distribute some part of the winnings to other players who then may also be taxed.

Since all the players on each winning team will be present in Vancouver when the contest is one ... it is EASY to divide the prize money and cut a cheque to each individual. Doing anything else is really asking for trouble since the team captain is under no obligation to distribute funds at all ... and if they will be on the hook for a large tax bill, there is far less incentive to split any of it.

P.S. In Canada, as far as I know, lottery winnings are not taxed which is a significant difference from the US ... however, that is no reason for PGI to be ignorant of the fact and likely negative impacts on their winners of how they choose to distribute funds. (Bottom line is to make your team captain Canadian .. and then distribute any funds privately :) ... if PGI sticks with the current distribution plan).

#162 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

View PostUltimax, on 06 April 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

Excellent post.

I'll go a step further and say that if PGI is unaware, not only will the greater source of experienced competitive players be found community run sites like Outreach - but that these official forums are often openly hostile against all things considered competitive or higher tier play.

This tournament could be huge for PGI, huge for MWO - it would be unwise in the extreme not to utilize a willing community of competitive players and especially previously successful league/tournament organizers in order to make their first foray into an Esports tournament a success.

I leave it to PGI how they are going to harness those players, and sift through the players who intend to compete and want this tournament to be excellent as opposed to bystanders and peanut gallery commenters who are unlikely to enter, and possibly even hope that the tournament fails because its not the vision of the game that they have.

I am really glad that you have forum in which you can be serious. I think it is good that comp players can have side discussions. But, this is PGI's tournament and they want the discussion in their forums. If this "willing community" cannot talk here, then I have to question how willing they are. Adapt or move on.

I really want this to succeed, even thought I have no intent of signing up yet because I am not good enough. If their were lower tiers I would totally do it. But I am really excited to see this happen and I would want to become competitive at some point.

#163 Furry Fox

• PipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

No joysticks? Four button mouse? I use a Razer Lachesis for aiming, and a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS for analog movement & all other in-game commands. Guess I'm out. Posted Image

#164 Tylerchu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 253 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostLucky Noob, on 05 April 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

i dont know exact, but isnt PGI banned from reddit ?

View PostSiriothrax, on 05 April 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

They were shadowbanned, which would normally autoremove their posts, but they've been manually approved to post on /r/OutreachHPG

EDIT: Also, several PGI employees that weren't around during the Transverse subreddit debacle aren't banned at all, and quasi-actively participate.

I wasn't around can one of you tell the story in all its glory?

#165 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:11 PM

View PostTylerchu, on 06 April 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

I wasn't around can one of you tell the story in all its glory?

https://www.themitta...l-transreversal

#166 Visconte Cobram

• PipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:38 AM

How do you plan to combat cheating for this tournament ?

#167 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:39 AM

View PostGorgo7, on 06 April 2016 - 06:59 AM, said:

The MWO holder should do as little as possible to accommodate any nationality concerning taxes. They should cut a cheque and let the winning team figure it out. End of story. They are not your mama or papa or tax accountant. They are handing over cash. Period.
You've got 7-8 months before you "Win" the big prize. Do a little research.

Real Classy, and on this note I hope the other 150 nations boycott the event, you can have a world series like baseball ROFL

#168 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:12 AM

View PostMasamuneITA, on 07 April 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

How do you plan to combat cheating for this tournament ?

They are using a custom build on custom servers with standard hardware.

Because that seemed like a better idea to them than dealing with the cheating that allegedly goes on in the product the rest of us use.

Posted Image

#169 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

Any tournament sales? Put all the ultra quirked mechs used in the tournament on cbill sale.

Any tournament sales? Put all the ultra quirked mechs used in the tournament on cbill sale.

#170 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:57 AM

Battlemech Company level game without Coy-level tournament Posted Image

RAM
ELH

#171 Nova Yield

• PipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:34 AM

Love the fact PGI is putting out the championships, but it is still very easy to get away with cheating, so until you fix that the championships will be compromised. People are aiming at the target themselves until they get it on target, then simply turn your bot on, no "target snap". They are using it to get full burn, and to keep that target locked until they are done firing. I could very well be wrong, its just what I think.

Edited by Nova Yield, 09 April 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#172 Araara

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:55 AM

View PostCato Zilks, on 06 April 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

I am really glad that you have forum in which you can be serious. I think it is good that comp players can have side discussions. But, this is PGI's tournament and they want the discussion in their forums. If this "willing community" cannot talk here, then I have to question how willing they are. Adapt or move on.

I really want this to succeed, even thought I have no intent of signing up yet because I am not good enough. If their were lower tiers I would totally do it. But I am really excited to see this happen and I would want to become competitive at some point.

Us coming to talk on these forums isn't the point Cato, because many of us already do. The point is that many different variants of competitive format has already been done, some we discovered very boring, others more interesting and practical. It is very much documented on reddit and league websites already (discussions, arguments and all). Not so much on the MWO forums.

Technically we could copy paste everything here but prepare for a huge wall of text that could probably span 2-3 pages by itself in 1 post. And that's assuming someone is benevolent enough to summarize all competition formats done until now (which is unlikely). It's one of the reason many of us in this thread are not particularly happy with PGI as they stated they had "talks" with league organizers but that hasn't really been confirmed by said league organizers themselves. At least not in the context of prepping a tournament itself, probably just questions here and there.

What I'd propose is to have a live discussion circle with league organizers and just brainstorm the good and the bad that has been done in the past years with the community run leagues and tournaments. That wouldn't take too long and would allow a lot of information to pass on to the PGI employee. Would also beat a huge wall of text in forums.

#173 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

well that competition is great for the competitive crowd and MAY give the game some visibility but to be honest I doubt it will change anything. Now regarding the supporter package, to me it seem very anemic, there is nothing really pushing me to spend 10 bucks for a tiny 10%. I still think that PGI should push for single and coop missions like classic MW2-3 and 4. PVE is greatly overdue for single fact that it would bring more players in the game and we all know that more players means more paying ones at same time. locking the game as a strictly PVP game draws lot of potential players away and that already in a niche genre since not many are fond of big stompy robots.

#174 FaT4Li7y

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

I don't get all this complaining about the team manager recieving all the prizemoney. It's like that in every real e-sports tournament. You know the teams that are REALLY competetive and professional and do that for a living as long as they can. Teams like these have a manager or two and they are glad someone takes care for things like this. They get paid by their team management (read sponsors) according to the income through prize money and individual contracts. It would be really annoying for them to get the prize money pre-split.
Better hope none of those teams jumps on the MW:O train for some basicly free 60k...
You know those teams that actually game for a living and are not limited to any genre or franchise. Teams that have sponsors funding their living and equipment. All while being in the bloom of their lifetime with better reflexes, stress levels and more free time on their hands than any sane adult.
If teams like this decide to go for the MW:O WC they are gonna wipe the floor with our "competetive teams" that have been here since '11/'12 and gone through so much changes with the game all while being age 30-40+...

#175 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

View PostNova Yield, on 09 April 2016 - 06:34 AM, said:

People are aiming at the target themselves until they get it on target, then simply turn your bot on, no "target snap". They are using it to get full burn, and to keep that target locked until they are done firing. I could very well be wrong, its just what I think.

It disturbs me that you are thinking it through to this level ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users