174 replies to this topic

#21 swamp hag

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 05 April 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

No joystick? Shame on you.

TBF, no finalists will be using joysticks anyway.

#22 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

View PostGlory, on 05 April 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

Only because it's not an option. But okay, moving on to something else.

Edited by Lightfoot, 05 April 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#23 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostGlory, on 05 April 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

Wouldnt it be funny if all finalist had to use a joystick? That would be a fun game to watch

Posted Image

#24 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

Does anyone else find the 2 minute grace period unforgiving?

#25 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

Team Member 2: Where is my prize money?

Team Captain: The IRS has it.

#26 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

Issues from my point of view.

You have to let players bring their own KB+Mouse. Every e-sport I have ever watched allows or requires players to bring their own KB+Mouse. I completely agree with the restrictions on macros and visual settings.

Best of 1? There is nothing in the rules indicating that any of the matches are to be anything other than best of 1. I would have expected qualifiers to be at least Bo3, regionals Bo5 and finals Bo7 perhaps?

Skirmish, 8v8, 0-1200. This format is mostly universally considered the worst format to encourage engagement in the competitive scene. This will lead to stalemates as seen in the first MWO sanctioned tournament. It will produce matches that are not interesting to watch. This is bad assuming the intent is to put a e-sports face on MWO.

While it is good to finally see more information on the MWOWC, seeing it come out in what appears to be a first draft form is doing the tournament and the game a disservice. Please continue consultation with the organizers of the established community run tournaments and get the MWOWC page updated as soon as possible. The longer it stays up in this form the worse it looks on the game and the tournament.

#27 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 05 April 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

Hey everyone! we are listening to constructive feedback and we are willing to adjust the gameplay rules!
I have personally spent hours talking with other league organizers to gather feedback on our gameplay rules, structure, maps and tonnage rules.
These things can and will be adjusted but I will gleefully skip past feedback that comes with a side serving vitriol.
I just don't need that kind of energy in my life right now (winky face)

Namaste.

Blunt question then: If you've spent hours talking to organizers about rules, how did these ever get to press? No league would ever or has ever used "unlimited skirmish." No vitriol, just bafflement.

#28 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostKael 17, on 05 April 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

Team Member 2: Where is my prize money?

Team Captain: The IRS has it.

...the tournament is in Canada. Take the check to a bank, and redistribute it immediately before coming back home. Problem solved.

Would make more sense if the team leaders had to submit how any winnings were to be split up prior to any money match and let PGI cut the checks.

#29 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 05 April 2016 - 09:11 AM, said:

Wouldnt it be funny if all finalist had to use a joystick? That would be a fun game to watch

Posted Image

Everyone knows real mechwarriors use steering wheels.

#30 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

Oh man ! Why 8 vs 8 ??

The 3/3/3/3 rule doesn't work then and we dont see nicely balanced matches.

But anyway, I will watch some matches if they are broadcasted.

#31 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 05 April 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

...the tournament is in Canada. Take the check to a bank, and redistribute it immediately before coming back home. Problem solved.

Would make more sense if the team leaders had to submit how any winnings were to be split up prior to any money match and let PGI cut the checks.

Sounds good but the first check is still written out to the team captain. He would be required to file it as income in the U.S.

PGI needs to split up the winnings. The Team captain can still say how he wants them split.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 05 April 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#32 Captain Artemis

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:27 AM

As for "Supporting the Tournament", you already have the example of other successful eSport games like DOTA 2 for example. Their way of rising the founds for the tournament is presented by "Compendium". If you are planing to make this kind of tournaments every year, think proper name to it - like "Solaris Tickets" or something?

On the other hand, beside the title, camo, cockpit items, I would suggest adding the "premium hours" at the time of tournament for those who support it. Also don't forget that this is MechWarrior game, with the very rich lore - how about creating audio-books with Duncan Fisher? In the futures that could lead to the audio-books about the fight presented in the Solaris by the players - that would be awesome, and very unique.

Last one thing, when you make custom parts for the mechs, that also sounds like an idea for every year unique reward for supporting the tournament.

#33 Zacharias McLeod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:35 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 05 April 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

Hey everyone! we are listening to constructive feedback and we are willing to adjust the gameplay rules!
I have personally spent hours talking with other league organizers to gather feedback on our gameplay rules, structure, maps and tonnage rules.
These things can and will be adjusted but I will gleefully skip past feedback that comes with a side serving vitriol.
I just don't need that kind of energy in my life right now (winky face)

Namaste.

View PostTercieI, on 05 April 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

Blunt question then: If you've spent hours talking to organizers about rules, how did these ever get to press? No league would ever or has ever used "unlimited skirmish." No vitriol, just bafflement.

This is it.

Nobody whould announce a big tournament without a full ruleset.

So no rule adjustmend later if we think it is cool and after we got some feedback. This ist just a big fail in the organisation of the tournament.

Edited by Zacharias McLeod, 05 April 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#34 TheSteelRhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:39 AM

How about something of interest like a Mech sale. (and not just via Steam please).

The competitive esport wannabe is ruining this game/genre for those that don't want to play at that level.

Get Solaris in the game, and make the queue's and CW fun again.

Then have 1v1, 4v4 and 8v8 all you want. (you can even throw in weight classes, and maybe some free for alls for "wild card" spots in tournaments..ie "grand melee" style)

Get the comp seen where it should be.

Edited by TheSteelRhino, 05 April 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#35 stalorato

Rookie

• Master Sergeant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 05 April 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

"Who receives the Prize Money?"

"Team Captain will receive the entirety"

Rofl goodluck with your taxes this year "team captain"

LOL I know a good consulting firm that can help with it ...

#36 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

View PostTercieI, on 05 April 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

Honestly, I don't have an awesome reason. Some Details have been changed to TBA = To Be Announced

Side note: The Official MWO Forums is where feedback will be culled from. Not Twitter, Not Reddit.
Not all rules are up for debate either so focus on the TBA details like maps and tonnage for example.

#37 Tina Benoit

Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Hey guys!
A text error has been fixed on the Support the Tournament page.

#38 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

View PostEmpty Space, on 05 April 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

LOL I know a good consulting firm that can help with it ...

Is its residence in Panama?

#39 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:57 AM

Well, i guess with some Finetuning, this can get a nice Event,

My best wishes for it PGI.

PS: it would be nice to know the Mouse and Keybords in use, for being able to train with em. If its not possible to use the personal ones. You maybe want to rehink this part, i can be unhealty not to use ergonomic fitting Devices.

Edited by Revorn, 05 April 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#40 Araara

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 05 April 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Honestly, I don't have an awesome reason. Some Details have been changed to TBA = To Be Announced

Side note: The Official MWO Forums is where feedback will be culled from. Not Twitter, Not Reddit.
Not all rules are up for debate either so focus on the TBA details like maps and tonnage for example.

To be fair Matt, much appreciation for your work but I think you should reconsider looking at reddit or other forums. Competitive players and organizers have long since branched out to outreach hpg reddit and mwo reddit for feedback as they usually contain the bigger majority of long time competitive players.

The mwo forums are, not trying to be insensitive here, mostly populated by players with less play experience. The ones with more play experience also frequent reddit and league forums too. (edit : talking general playing experience here, not just competitive experience)

Now, I'm not saying you should always take feedback from reddit instead of here but you have to realize that if you want tested and proven feedback for the competitive side of mwo, you'll want to actually look where those competitive players and spectators are.

Case in point, how many links on the official mwo forums are there about competitive streams, shoutcasts of competitive games and analysis of said matches? Not to mention all the discussions about said games and teams.

Compare it to both reddit pages (mwo reddit and outreach hpg reddit) and you'll see they're miles apart.

Edited by Araara, 05 April 2016 - 10:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users