72 replies to this topic

#1 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

As the Cicada was my first mech that I owned, I'm mildly excited for the Viper.

Eight fixed jump jets. That's 4 Tons made unavailable; It does run Endo-steel and Ferro, however.

A 320XL on a Cicada with Ferro and Endo leaves 8 tons to work with after max armor (reduced in head or elsewhere) (assuming 4 tons are eaten up by JJ's.) IS Viper (CDA-3F)

I don't think it'll be much to write home about, except for the fact that it's an omnimech.

8 SPLs on this thing would shred, but be prohibitively hot. 6 small lasers and 4 machine guns might be a good loadout, like a mini nova with one fistful of lasers. 4t weaponry, 4t whatever you want afterward.

The most missile hardpoints you could fit on any one variant would be 3.

The most energy hardpoints would be 10 on any variant aside from the C. 10 ER-sl's.

The VPR-C can have up to 11 energy hardpoints.

Most possible ballistics: 4 (obv. machine guns only)

I'm going to assume it will suffer the same problems that the Crabs do with their ST's, except maybe this thing will be quite small. I'm hoping it will be small.

It is very attractive compared to the Sarna Artwork.

Edited by Vaskadar, 13 June 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#2 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 735 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

It better be small. Like I said in another thread, this poor thing already looks like a bigger mist lynx.
They really should have made the first omni hero the timby instead of wasting such a good opportunity on this lackluster mech.

Edited by PraetorGix, 06 April 2016 - 12:29 PM.

#3 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:33 PM

Agree, I LOVE the Ice Ferret, and this will be quite similar except I will be able to use JJs so that will raise my survivability alot. I'm thinking 6 ERSLs, and 2 SRM6 to start out, might do 3 SRM4s and 3 CERMLs later.

It does look amazing they really outdid themselves on the design,i already picked up all variants, and the hero. Nimble mediums are basically my favorite, aside from Commandos.

View PostPraetorGix, on 06 April 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

It better be small. Like I said in another thread, this poor thing already looks like a bigger mist lynx.
They really should have made the first omni hero the timby instead of wasting such a good opportunity on this lackluster mech.

Ya... pretty sure the Kodiak Hero came first.

#4 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 735 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 06 April 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

Ya.. pretty sure I said OMNI and the Kodiak is not an omni. You can look the difference in sarna.
Next time you try to be a smart*ss make sure your comment is actually smart.

#5 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:52 PM

View PostVaskadar, on 06 April 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

... The most energy hardpoints would be 10. ...

Sorry, but..
-C -> CT = 1 E
-A -> RT/LT = 4 E
-M -> RA/LA = 6 E

So.. not 11 E hardpoints?

Edited by Sky Hawk, 06 April 2016 - 12:52 PM.

#6 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:54 PM

View PostSky Hawk, on 06 April 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

Sorry, but..
-C -> CT = 1 E
-A -> RT/LT = 4 E
-M -> RA/LA = 6 E

So.. not 11 E hardpoints?

Thanks for the correction. I'd not noticed that!

#7 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:31 PM

I already bought the basic pack to get the pre-order bonuses. I am pretty sure I will add the reinforcements and the Hero just because:

1ST Hero OMNI Mech!!!!!!

Posted Image

#8 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 06 April 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

Agree, I LOVE the Ice Ferret, and this will be quite similar except I will be able to use JJs so that will raise my survivability alot. I'm thinking 6 ERSLs, and 2 SRM6 to start out, might do 3 SRM4s and 3 CERMLs later.

It does look amazing they really outdid themselves on the design,i already picked up all variants, and the hero. Nimble mediums are basically my favorite, aside from Commandos.

Yea that 50 dmg alpha ferrit is amazing.
Anyway it can brawl well thanks to quirks.
I strongly hope pgi will put them to the viper too, otherwise it will be soooooo fragile....
With this said, being a medium jock, I'm really waiting for that...... for c-bill, since pgi is going out of the line with its prices.
But I cannot not theoricrafting.
6ersl + stuff seems pretty solid to me.
I don't think 5+6 ersl will be viable, heat wise.
Ballistic no way, even mg, because imo, it would be a waste of tonnage.
We will have only 8 free tons, streaping armor here and there!!

6ersl+2srm6+2ammo. 54 dmg alpha and 24 heat. But it's a brawler loadout, and need good structure quirks.

#9 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

View PostPraetorGix, on 06 April 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

Ya.. pretty sure I said OMNI and the Kodiak is not an omni. You can look the difference in sarna.
Next time you try to be a smart*ss make sure your comment is actually smart.

Oooooooooo FACED, I automatically attack anyone that disses mediums, just a reflex. And this is a perfect chance for them to try out a OMNI hero instead of just jumping in on it with the best mech in the game, but rest assured we will have a hero TBR some day.

#10 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 06 April 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

Yea that 50 dmg alpha ferrit is amazing.
Anyway it can brawl well thanks to quirks.
I strongly hope pgi will put them to the viper too, otherwise it will be soooooo fragile....
With this said, being a medium jock, I'm really waiting for that...... for c-bill, since pgi is going out of the line with its prices.
But I cannot not theoricrafting.
6ersl + stuff seems pretty solid to me.
I don't think 5+6 ersl will be viable, heat wise.
Ballistic no way, even mg, because imo, it would be a waste of tonnage.
We will have only 8 free tons, streaping armor here and there!!

6ersl+2srm6+2ammo. 54 dmg alpha and 24 heat. But it's a brawler loadout, and need good structure quirks.

Ya, MGs would be absolute poop on this thing, having to face your target for any long period of time would be a death wish in a 40T mech, unless it is SUPER tiny then it's (possible?)

#11 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:22 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 06 April 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

It would make a pretty good drive by shooter.

#12 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 06 April 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

Ya, MGs would be absolute poop on this thing, having to face your target for any long period of time would be a death wish in a 40T mech, unless it is SUPER tiny then it's (possible?)

Also, with only 8 tons left, I really have hard time to imagine another build.

8 ersl (4+4) are 12+12 heat points (and 32 if alpha). 10 truedubs+4, I don't know if it would be viable.

The crazy thing in PGI crazy balance, it's that ersl does 5 dmg and 3 heat. ML 7 dmg BUT with DOUBLE heat.

And this kills lights and medium with so few free tonnage.

I really hope for good quirks in this one

#13 Goldhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

When I'm a light, I see this and get nervous. Off the start, the speed is 129 kph, and that worries me. It seems like it can be created into yet another light-hunter killer. Sticking some streaks or some medium lasers mixer with small lasers equals a bad day for any mech under 45 tons. Hell, if this thing is as fast as it seems, a couple Arctic Cheetahs with one of these is death. Let's hope the armor is paper or the heat is immense.

As a medium pilot, this thing worries me as well, yes, my Ac/20 is strong and my medium lasers green when I pilot my Yen-lo, "Mr. Bang", however, this thing jumping down from a balcony will make me pull out my better moves to kill it. Kerensky's ghost if this thing is working in tandem with something else.

As a slower heavy, it's going to take some effort to murder this bug. But kill it I shall. It will eat a few Gauss rounds and drop like the Cicada.

Assault crush bug good. Assault no like little bug that hurt Assault. Assault SMASH!

Edited:

Just checked the Medusa load out, it's an Arctic Cheetah with no ECM but Streaks. Crap, time to retire my Commandos.

Edited by Goldhawk, 06 April 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#14 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:48 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 06 April 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Also, with only 8 tons left, I really have hard time to imagine another build.

8 ersl (4+4) are 12+12 heat points (and 32 if alpha). 10 truedubs+4, I don't know if it would be viable.

The crazy thing in PGI crazy balance, it's that ersl does 5 dmg and 3 heat. ML 7 dmg BUT with DOUBLE heat.

And this kills lights and medium with so few free tonnage.

I really hope for good quirks in this one

I still think 3 SRM4s and 3 ERMLs could work, poke with 21 damage all game and smash em with repeated 24 damage SRM loads up close. But I do like the other loadout a lot, it could also do some crazy 10-11 ERSL builds which could be nasty.

#15 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 06 April 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

If you're able to get behind something, there's not much need for facetime.

#16 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

I must admit the Viper looks interesting. I love the artwork for it, and it's loadout doesn't look as bad as I thought, though it seems like we won't really be able to do a 'poptart' with all those jumpjets. I don't have much experience with omni-mechs in the mechlab, but I remember people were saying this mech is going to have one of the smallest podspace-to-tonnage ratios of the omnimechs. That will probably limit good builds on it quite a bit.

#17 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:23 PM

I run a 10 ERSL Nova with 26 DHS and it runs hot, this guy cannot run that many DHS so I cannot see it as a functional build. 6 RESL should do ok, but I'd probably rather have 5-6 SPLs unless I need that tiny bit of extra range (on an energy build)... 5-6 ERSL+SRMs seems a fun way to play as well, with 5 fitting entirely in the torsos on the C. Maybe 4xERSL (1 CT+3 LA) and 3xSSRM2s (1 RA/1 RT/1 LT) for light hunting even. Where the lasers are placed height wise is going to be very important, 3 ERML (CT/ST/LT) and 4 ERSL (2 RA/2 LA) might be interesting (though hot if you need them all at the same time), for a mixed range poker.

All that said... It does look a lot like the IS Crab, though it's 10 tons lighter. It's also slightly faster, has jump jets, and hopefully smaller. The downside is the weight issues that give it a shorter range having to trade MLs for ERSLs and MPLs for SPLs. If it gets some of the same quirks as the crab it will be much tougher than most expect. Sadly with the IICs still not having any quirks (& their intention on changing out quirks 'soon') I'm not expecting much.

Edited by Shadey99, 06 April 2016 - 08:27 PM.

#18 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

View PostVaskadar, on 06 April 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

If you're able to get behind something, there's not much need for facetime.

but then you arent thinking of the mech watching you from behind ;). In order for MGs to work well you have to put seconds worth of shots in 1 location, I find hit and run with SRMs and lasers works much better for light fast mechs.

#19 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostShadey99, on 06 April 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

I run a 10 ERSL Nova with 26 DHS and it runs hot, this guy cannot run that many DHS so I cannot see it as a functional build.

I run a 12 ERSL, with tonnage slapped onto two AMS, two tons of AMS ammo, and a TCOMP.

And honestly? It runs smoothly enough. Controlled 1-2 punch, twist, set one arm to chainfire him down.

For funsies, I took that same nova, and rigged it up with 10 SPL, and no extra heat sinks.

Take note, SPL are unaffected by it's quirks for heat gen, and are equivalent in heat to the ERSL; 3 per SPL.

Brought it to a hot map, fired one arm after another.

That allowed me to pump out 5+5+5+5. If I was standing still and not generating more heat, that would have been another 5.

Viper with 10 ERSL, no extra heat sinks, will at the very least, MATCH this kind of output. Icing on the cake; it runs like a light.

Basically what I wanted to do to a Nova for so long.

#20 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 06 April 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

ERSL: 200m, ERML: 400m . That makes a big difference, but CERML could get their duration reverted to original values(same for CERLL).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users