Learning To Brawl In An Atlas

11 replies to this topic

#1 NecessaryWeevil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:23 PM

Hi Mechwarriors,

Mostly I specialize in Lights, but I'm working my way up the weight scale. I've just finished Eliting my Hunchbacks, and am now looking at spending some time with my AS7-D-DC. Brawling is the recommended use for this mech, and I'm fine with that, except that I don't think I know brawling super well.

Therefore: if I want to learn to brawl with an Atlas, should I simply jump into the cockpit and start brawling? Or are there less painful ways to learn important lessons first?

I also have Centurions and Catapults, if that information helps.

Thanks!

#2 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:48 PM

step 1) run forward... shoot your srms + ac 20... and then torso twist 90 degrees while you wait for cooldowns...

then repeat step 1)

#3 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

In D-DC I prefer ECM + 2xLB 10-X + 3xSRM6. Ammo and doubleheatsink as you prefer. Also Endo-steel. That load-out. That keep you of radar, give great alpha damage and also some crit-hit from LB 10-X. Also that pretty cold mech to play with great damage. Anyway - play-style different. More ambush in corners between building, close combat and open map like Polah Highland and Alpine Peaks = defeat. Best map - mining, bog, and like that.

#4 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hunchback 4G with the STD200, AC20, and Medium Lasers, is a good Trainer for using the Atlas, as you have to Shoot & Twist to protect your Hunch. The only difference is, you also get a heavy Left to go with the Right for a One-Two knockdown. The main thing is, the Atlas draws a LOT more fire, and is much less maneuverable. So, plan your routes, and try not to get isolated.

Seismic Sensor is a MUST for this mech.

Also, Polar Highlands is NOT a terrible map for this mech, you just need to know how to use concealment to close. I'd recommend dropping in Testing Grounds and running (waddling) around for a good hour or so to learn where you can hide an Atlas on that map. It is actually possible to close within 300m of an enemy team without ever being detected (especially on Domination).

#5 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:28 PM

From my personal experience I seriously encourage you to consider waepons with more than 270 m range.
Try AS7-S with AC10, 4SRM4 and 2LL

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3728c9a5b60fed

Edited by Cyrilis, 15 April 2016 - 02:01 AM.

#6 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:05 AM

Don't have an atlas in these examples, but here's my thoughts on Assaulting thy Enemy.

~Leone.

#7 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:38 PM

Posted Image

#8 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,594 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

That guy would have been a great Juggernaut if he wasn't four feet tall. And only included for an internet joke. And if they'd stuck with one movie instead of mashing two half-movies with unrelated plots together... But I digress.

View PostGamerGirlGundam, on 14 April 2016 - 09:57 PM, said:

[Unidentified Quotation Detected]

Where was that from? It's spot-on, useful advice.

#9 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

Pleas remember, the atlas has no juevos! So you got to bring enough juevos for both you AND the atlas your piloting!

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:49 AM

I second most things about Atlas brawling.... but for the first in line.

You will be the first when you stay in the blob. Best way is to seperate early (no not to run alone) watch how the battle is fought - watch for flankers - when you drop in a assault lance use the lance chat - you don't need lights to follow your path you want fire power. - move to the flank - with low profile.... you don't need ECM to do this.

With a successful flank maneuver there will be targets that are out of position showing you flank or even rear - hold your fire try to get a better angle.

When you beginn your attack run - don't back off, don't stop.
Maybe your first target is shell shocked.... finish him
After that split your fire on all targets available - don't allow them to aim without risking damage - when armor is all but gone back to Alpha fire---- deal as much damage as fast as you can. The AS7-S with SRM6 is able to finish 3 targets before the engine goes critical and heat is killing you.

However while flanking is the best option - sometimes its not possible - sometimes you have to charge to this crops of trees.
Twist as many damage as possible - until you are in range.... just switch to full rambo modus - Alpha Target One, Alpha Target Two...Override Alpha Target Three....

Your Atlas won't survive it in most cases - but keep in mind - a Atlas with yellow structure or even armor remaining is a waste

#11 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:40 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 10 April 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

step 1) run forward... shoot your srms + ac 20... and then torso twist 90 degrees while you wait for cooldowns...

then repeat step 1)

See above. Biggest issue for me when I first started piloting an Atlas: Mental anguish of thinking you are the toughest thing on the field only to quickly realize that because you get focused by every enemy in the vicinity your toughness seems like (is) an illusion. So be prepared for that. Then learn to revel in it. Be the guy who starts the push (announce to the team when you do!) be the tip of the spear.

#12 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 25 April 2016 - 04:49 AM, said:

I second most things about Atlas brawling.... but for the first in line.

You will be the first when you stay in the blob. Best way is to seperate early (no not to run alone) watch how the battle is fought - watch for flankers - when you drop in a assault lance use the lance chat - you don't need lights to follow your path you want fire power. - move to the flank - with low profile.... you don't need ECM to do this.

With a successful flank maneuver there will be targets that are out of position showing you flank or even rear - hold your fire try to get a better angle.

However while flanking is the best option - sometimes its not possible - sometimes you have to charge to this crops of trees.
Twist as many damage as possible - until you are in range.... just switch to full rambo modus - Alpha Target One, Alpha Target Two...Override Alpha Target Three....

Your Atlas won't survive it in most cases - but keep in mind - a Atlas with yellow structure or even armor remaining is a waste

A successful Atlas flank is a thing of beauty, *especially* if you tell your team when you start to engage so they can push at the same time.

BUT

In the majority of instances (in my experience, in the solo queue), a "flanking Atlas" is effectively a MIA Atlas, and if the opposing team's lights are awake, it's a dead Atlas.

If you pick the wrong route, if the fight moves a little bit from where you're expecting, if the fight is over quickly, then it's highly likely that you won't arrive in time to materially affect the outcome -- you're slow! Either your team will have already won, and the best you'll get is a lucky finishing blow, or your team will have already lost, and unless the only remaining mechs are short-range, odds are good you'll be picked apart before you get into range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users